The Secret Library discussion

Reading List > Fatherland by Robert Harris

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kris (new)

Kris Johnson (kjtoo) | 45 comments Mod
"Berlin, 1964. Hitler reigns supreme."

The first book on the shelf at The Secret Library is Fatherland, a tale of alternate history set in a world where Germany won World War II.

message 2: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth (nukehavoc) | 14 comments So is this the book you guys snagged from the library, and if so, are you reading it for the first time? I read it a few years back, but I think the book's still fresh enough in my mind to have an intelligent conversation about it.

message 3: by Kris (new)

Chris grabbed a copy at the library and I found a copy at the local used bookstore. Neither of us have read the book before and we'd be happy to have you join in the conversation, which (with your inclusion) should be at least 33.3% intelligent.

message 4: by Kris (last edited Jan 24, 2008 01:37PM) (new)

I'm 243 (of 380) pages in and enjoying it so far. I'm seeing elements of 1984 and a bit of The Bourne Identity. Dan Brown would love me to say that this has a bit of the puzzle-solving feel of The DaVinci Code, too, but I'm not going to give him that pleasure.

I should be able to finish over the weekend, if not sooner.

So, who else is reading (or has read) this?

message 5: by Gaston (new)

Gaston (thebeardedgoose) I'm readin'. Picked it up from Library Tuesday. Should be able to finish next week. Not bad for a first novel.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm up to page 129 in the hardback. So far, it's having a hard time keeping my interest. I don't find March terribly sympathetic, however, the more trouble he gets into, the more I am interested in his plight.

message 7: by Kris (last edited Jan 29, 2008 07:36AM) (new)

So much for finishing over the weekend. Lots of distractions and what not (saw Juno on Saturday), but I've got about 80 pages to go at this point.

My wife has decided to read the book, too, so I need to have her create a GoodReads account.

message 8: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth (nukehavoc) | 14 comments It's been a long time since I read it (and actually, the HBO mini series with Rutger Hauer is echoing more strongly in my brain) but what struck me most was the little details about life in post-war Germany. I'm not a huge alternate history fan, but this book worked for me because it felt like it got the details right.

Of course, it's been more than a decade, so my brain my have glossed over the book's drawbacks.

message 9: by Kris (last edited Jan 30, 2008 02:50PM) (new)

Finished it this morning before heading to work. Eager to start the discussion once Chris and the minions finish it. My comparisons to 1984 and The Bourne Identity still stand, I think.

message 10: by Kris (new)

Our Fatherland discussion episode has been posted to The Secret Lair. Thanks to everyone who read the book and gave us their feedback.