Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > Oscar Wao/Junot Diaz?

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I think a couple of you are big fans, right? Junot Diaz is speaking here on Saturday, and I was trying to decide whether to go (though my sister may need help with an emergency move, which would make the decision for me).

I was ambivalent about Oscar Wao. I still think about it, which is usually a good sign, but...eh...
Have any of you heard him speak? Do you think he's worth spending what's supposed to be a beautiful afternoon indoors?

message 2: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I loved that f--king book. But I've never heard him speak. I'm not a big fan of author readings, honestly. They're better in theory than in practice.

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I've been to some pretty cool author events, but I think it very much depends on the author. A sense of humor helps, as does an awareness of your audience.
Connie Willis spoke at our library last year and was awesome -- instead of reading, she spoke about books that had inspired her.
Dorothy Allison had the whole audience rolling on the floor even though her books come across as dead serious.
Diaz has said that he hasn't written a thing since Oscar Wao. Not having a new book to pimp means he'll either read from that one, or his short stories. Or speak about books, or his experience as an immigrant and how it colors his experience as a writer, which might be the most interesting of the options.
I get the feeling that he would either be funny or insufferable.

message 4: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17346 comments Mod
Why did you love it RA?

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh man, I loved it, too. Sarah Pi, why don't you read some of his shorts from "Drown" before you decide? Or just go. GO!

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm in the minority Sarah, I thought the book was OK, but didn't really connect with it. I'm not big on book readings, but maybe he will talk about why he wrote it, his inspiration etc., which to me would be much more interesting.

message 7: by RandomAnthony (last edited Apr 16, 2009 10:01AM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Sally, I loved the frenetic energy, the conversational narrative, and, well, just how much damn fun I had reading the book. I didn't want the book to end.

message 8: by Chloe (new)

Chloe (countessofblooms) | 347 comments Sarah, I saw him when he was on either The Colbert Report or The Daily Show (I can't remember which) and he was funny and interesting there. I'm sure it's out there on youtube or comedycentral.com if you're interested in seeing how he may be live.

Also, I loved the book (and Oscar). His nerditude was amazing.

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Meh... I wasn't impressed with the book at all.

message 10: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) I would go. His bio is very interesting, I bet he is too.

message 11: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24362 comments Mod
I haven't read any of his work.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.