Movies We've Just Watched discussion

Foreign Films > The Goalie's Anxiety at the Penalty Kick

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Steve (new)

Steve | 957 comments I wish I had the time to write longer, more organized thoughts on movies like many of you do...anyway I just found an oooooolllllldddd VHS copy of this well-regarded Wim Wenders film from the early 1970s. German New Wave, akin in feeling and tone to some of Antonioni and Wenders's countryman Fassbinder's films -- I found myself thinking about Why Does Herr R. Run Amok? as I watched The Goalie's Anxiety, which covers the aftermath of a soccer goalie's breakdown after he misses a key penalty shot. Like Fassbinder, Wenders never overtly explains the impetus behind the character's behavior (semi-spoiler here: after he misses the penalty kick, he picks up a movie-theater "ticket girl" and then strangles her to death in her apartment). We're left to speculate as to the character's sanity and/or motives.

It's a cold film, but I think anyone interested in existential cinema might want to see it.

message 2: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10782 comments i like early wenders, and haven't been so interested in his work since Wings of Desire. i'll check this one out, i've never seen it. my other favorite early wenders films are alice in the cities and american friend.

message 3: by Steve (new)

Steve | 957 comments I watched The American Friend last weekend, and liked it well enough. Not sure about Hopper as Ripley, but he's always a galvanizing force. Bruno Ganz is typically excellent.

Wings of Desire is next on my list of Wenders; I have it on reserve at the library. My local branch also has VHS copies of Alice in the Cities, so I'll grab one soon.

I don't think Goalie is available on DVD domesically, but perhaps in foreign region.

message 4: by Phillip (last edited Apr 16, 2009 09:13AM) (new)

Phillip | 10782 comments i saw a box set of early wenders at the video store that had all of this stuff in a 9-dvd set...it's too expensive for my budget, but it looked great. it had all of the films we're discussing and a lot more.

wings of desire is one of the most beautiful films ever...