fiction files redux discussion

a moment of silence, please

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Matt, e-monk (new)

Matt Comito | 386 comments Mod
Judith Krug, founder of Banned Books Week, dies
3 days ago

EVANSTON, Ill. (AP) — Judith Krug, a director of the Chicago-based American Library Association and a founder of its Banned Books Week, has died. She was 69.

Judith Platt, president of the ALA's Freedom to Read Foundation, says Krug (KROOG) died late Saturday at Evanston Hospital in suburban Chicago following a battle with stomach cancer. She says Krug had been ill for more than a year.

She had been head of the ALA's Office for Intellectual Freedom since 1967.

Banned Books Weeks has been observed since 1982 during the last week of September. ALA officials say the event celebrates intellectual freedom.

message 2: by Matt, e-monk (new)

a real warrior for the cause

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judith_Krug

message 3: by Jennifer, hot tamale (new)

Jennifer | 141 comments Mod
i'm a huge supporter of banned books week - it's so sad to hear the founder has passed away. when i worked at the library i always got to build the banned books display and enjoyed the conversations with patrons about the books that have banned or challenged over the years. the first time i looked over the listing of books i was so shocked. i hope the tradition of banned books week continues to grow each year.

message 4: by Bonita (new)

Bonita (NMBonita) | 120 comments
Top ten books Americans want banned:

http://bestdamncreativewritingblog.wo...

The Kite Runner is on the list.

message 5: by Esther (new)

Esther | 83 comments Mod
Sure, let's shelter everyone so they can live in a happy dream world of Cinderella. Actually, they might not like Cinderella either...evil stepsisters and all! Oh no! *runs off to burn her fairytales*

I like the "religious viewpoint" excuse...should we ban the Bible as well? Should say "what we deem is the wrong religious viewpoint" or something.

message 6: by Jennifer, hot tamale (new)

Jennifer | 141 comments Mod
Esther wrote: "Sure, let's shelter everyone so they can live in a happy dream world of Cinderella. Actually, they might not like Cinderella either...evil stepsisters and all! Oh no! *runs off to burn her fairy..."

the bible is actually one of the most challenged books of all time.

message 7: by Matt, e-monk (new)

not to mention one of the most revised books of all time

message 8: by Kerry, flame-haired janeite (new)

Kerry Dunn (kerryanndunn) | 887 comments Mod
Instead of starting a new thread, I thought I would add this here:

J.G. Ballard dies at age 78:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/04...

I've never read any Ballard but I know people who are huge fans. I love the film Empire of the Sun and Cronenberg's Crash is so crazy/creepy that I may have to put the book on my "to read" list.

e-monk chose a nice thread title that is non-specific so we could put all obits in here.

message 9: by Brian, just a child's imagination (new)

Brian (banoo) | 346 comments Mod
i read his book Concrete Island A Novel last year and really liked it. i guess he decided to stay on the island. good luck to your mr ballard.

message 10: by Martyn (last edited Apr 23, 2009 12:23PM) (new)

Martyn | 299 comments I read Concrete Island in high school and I'm sure there's something I've read called High Rise.

JG Ballard had a big influence on the band Joy Division though...that's wonderful...songs such as 24 Hours and Isolation really do remind me of Ballard's literature.

message 11: by Ben, uneasy in a position of power; a yorkshire pudding (new)

Ben Loory | 241 comments Mod
High-Rise is great. it's basically cronenberg's they came from within, only before it, and better. gargantuan city-like apartment building where things go wrong and separate floors band together into tribes... it's awesome. all his books have a great vision and a great feel but they don't all manage to get a real story together... high-rise definitely does it. i liked that one a lot.

message 12: by Martyn (new)

Martyn | 299 comments Ben wrote: "High-Rise is great. it's basically cronenberg's they came from within, only before it, and better. gargantuan city-like apartment building where things go wrong and separate floors ban..."

Yeah, I do recall Cronenbergian aspects...I'm going to re-read both novels soon...it's been years, so I'll be excited about it!