Challenge: 50 Books discussion

Finish Line 2009! > Jenn's 50 Book Challenge 2009

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenn. (new)

Jenn. (bluefunk) | 13 comments I just switched from LibraryThing to Goodreads, so I guess it's time to make a 50 Book Challenge thread here :)

In 2006 I read 11 books, in 2007 I read 15. At the beginning of last year I figured I needed to read a lot more. I love reading, I just don't always make enough time for it. So, in 2008 I started my first 50 Book Challenge. I managed to read 51 books! Quite a difference compared to the number of books I read in 2006 and 2007.

I enjoyed the challenge so much that I've decided to play again in 2009. Though, we're now in week 16 and so far I've read 8 books... uuuh... haven't been reading enough these last few weeks, but oh well... I'll just keep reading and see how far I get :)

message 2: by Jenn. (last edited Apr 16, 2009 05:48AM) (new)

Jenn. (bluefunk) | 13 comments January

1. High fidelity / Nick Hornby
What a lovely way to start the new year!
Top 5 things I like about this book:
1. well written
2. funny
3. the unexpected ending
4. the lovely characters and their quirky ways
5. oh, I can't think of a fifth... I guess I'm as good at making lists as Rob is :-)

2. Fingersmith / Sarah Waters
What a wonderful book! I absolutely loved it. If only all books were like this...

3. Ann / Kristien Hemmerechts
Ann, 39 years old, suffers from chronic anorexia and has given up hope. She's planning to end her live, but wants her story told before she does so. She contacts author Kristien Hemmerechts to help her with this. Hemmerechts tells her story using bits and pieces of Ann's journals, e-mail messages, text messages and interviews with Ann, her family and therapists. The book doesn't just tell Ann's story, but also lets us know some of the author's thoughts and feelings.

I did not like this book. Ann's story is sad (but then, which anorexia case is not), but Hemmerechts really made a mess of this book. The book was annoying to read, the story just dragged on, I didn't particularly care about the author's thoughts and feelings, the author kept repeating herself, etc. I could go on for hours about why I did not like this book, but I feel I have already wasted enough time on it. The only reason I finished it was because by the time I realized it was crappy I had already read too much to just put it away.

4. The night watch / Sarah Waters
Not excellent like 'Fingersmith' and after that 'Affinity' (also, what happened to Victorian England *pout*), but still an incredibly good read. I'm definitely a Sarah Waters fan.
I heard something about a new Sarah Waters book being released this spring? Can't wait :-)

message 3: by Jenn. (last edited Apr 16, 2009 05:52AM) (new)

Jenn. (bluefunk) | 13 comments Febuary

5. Haal meer uit je dagboek / Sandy Grason
Fairly interesting book about journaling.

6. Tipping the velvet / Sarah Waters
Oh my... sexy! I can't wait to get the new Sarah Waters! I'm definitely a fan!

7. Dagboek als spiegel: een handboek vol inspiratie / Christine de Vries
Interesting book about journaling. I enjoyed reading this and got quite a few tips from it.

message 4: by Jenn. (new)

Jenn. (bluefunk) | 13 comments March

8. Harry Potter and the half-blood prince / J.K. Rowling
What can I say, it's Harry Potter! Just one more book to go to finish the series. Eventhough all HP-books are nice, I enjoyed this one and 'Harry Potter and the order of the Phoenix' most. And... I did not see it coming... quite a surprise...

message 5: by Jenn. (last edited Apr 27, 2009 10:07PM) (new)

Jenn. (bluefunk) | 13 comments April

9. Never let me go / Kazuo Ishiguro

Decent book, although I had higher expectations.

The characters in this book were a bit flat. I didn't really care about them and didn't particularly care about what happened to them. And that is a shame, cause it kinda ruined the ending (which was good, but could've had a greater impact had I actually cared about the characters).

Also, the story moved a bit too slow for me. It took me a while to get through the first part, but I got through it. The second part was one big yawn and I really had to make an effort to keep reading. The story finally picked up some speed in the third and last part.

The story told isn't a bad one, but it could've been so much better...

10. The Creative License: Giving Yourself Permission to be the Artist You Truly Are / Danny Gregory

I used to drawn a lot in my teens, but like many others suddenly quit. Now, years later, I started drawing again... because of Danny Gregory's wonderful book.

The book is incredibly inspiring and encouraged me to pick up the pen again, just draw and keep drawing. Now, I carry my Moleskine sketchbook and a pen *everywhere* and whenever I have a chance, I try to draw. It's fun, it's great...

The only downside of this book is the all capital font which is designed to lo...more I used to drawn a lot in my teens, but like many others then suddenly quit. Now, years later, I started drawing again... because of Danny Gregory's wonderful book.

The book is incredibly inspiring and encouraged me to pick up the pen again, just draw and keep drawing. Now, I carry my Moleskine sketchbook and a pen *everywhere* and whenever I have a chance, I try to draw. It's fun, it's great...

The only downside of this book is the all capital font which is designed to look handwritten. It takes some getting used to, but after a few pages it didn't bother me anymore although I can see how others might have a hard time getting through this book because of the font.

I'd recommend this book to anyone. Not just people who draw or want to draw, but anyone who wants to be creative. Give Danny Gregory a try, he's great!

11. A Thousand Splendid Suns / Khaled Hosseini

The following quote was on the copy of the hard cover I read:

"In case you're wondering wheather A Thousand Splendid Suns is as good as The Kite Runner, here's the answer: No. It's better." ~ Washington Post

I don't agree, but I will say that A Thousand Splendid Suns is equally good.

Highly recommended.

message 6: by Jenn. (new)

Jenn. (bluefunk) | 13 comments I tried to read The book thief / Markus Zusak. It bores me. I'm sure it's a good book, but I guess I'm just not in the mood for it right now. Saving it for winter.

message 7: by Aprile (new)

Aprile (aprileb) Jenn. wrote: "I tried to read The book thief / Markus Zusak. It bores me. I'm sure it's a good book, but I guess I'm just not in the mood for it right now. Saving it for winter."

I couldn't read that book. I read about 70 pages and just had no interest in finishing it.

message 8: by Jenn. (new)

Jenn. (bluefunk) | 13 comments Aprile wrote: "Jenn. wrote: "I tried to read The book thief / Markus Zusak. It bores me. I'm sure it's a good book, but I guess I'm just not in the mood for it right now. Saving it for winter."

I couldn't read..."

Same here. I read about 80 pages and just gave up (which I generally don't do after reading that many pages). I might try again in winter. Right now, I just don't have the patience for it.

message 9: by Jenn. (last edited May 23, 2009 11:44PM) (new)

Jenn. (bluefunk) | 13 comments May

De tweede verdachte / Heather Lewis

Compared to 'House rules' and 'Notice' this book was very disappointing. I actually got bored reading it. Would never had thought that, as I loved Heather's other books (though they were difficult to read because of the subject matter). Too bad there won't be any more...

Had to read the Dutch translation as I couldn't find the English version anywhere. I hate reading translations!

13. I can't think straight / Shamim Sarif

I usually read a book first before I see the movie. In this case I did not, because I didn't know there was a book before I saw the film. This kinda ruined my reading experience. But oh well, 'I can't think straight' was still a nice read. One thing though: not all lesbians watch 'The L Word' and listen to k.d. lang and not everyone who watches 'The L word' and listens to k.d. lang is a lesbian ;)

message 10: by Jenn. (last edited Jun 13, 2009 01:25AM) (new)

Jenn. (bluefunk) | 13 comments June

14. The world unseen / Shamim Sarif

15. Coraline / Neil Gaiman

16. Lange dagen / Pia de Jong

17. De eenzaamheid van de priemgetallen / Paolo Giordano

message 11: by Jenn. (last edited Jul 30, 2009 01:06PM) (new)

Jenn. (bluefunk) | 13 comments July

18. The curious case of Benjamin Button / F. Scott Fitzgerald

It's July already, and I've only read 18 books. Wonder if I can manage to read another 32 this year.... :-S

19. Suske en Wiske: De Poenschepper / Willy Vandersteen

It's been ages since I last read a comic book. Was fun. I might read more...

20. Suske en Wiske: De Nerveuze Nerviërs / Willy Vandersteen

21. Suske en Wiske: De Kadulle Cupido / Willy Vandersteen

22. The Little Stranger / Sarah Waters

23. Blindsighted / Karin Slaughter

message 12: by Jenn. (new)

Jenn. (bluefunk) | 13 comments August

24. Rox Rauw! / Roxane Catz
Fairly interesting book about the raw food principle. I've been raw for a week now and although it's difficult (what lifestyle change isn't?), it feels great!

message 13: by Leshawn (new)

Leshawn | 460 comments I'm late to your list Jenn but I loved your cute review of "High Fidelity"! Congratulations on 24 books!

message 14: by Jenn. (new)

Jenn. (bluefunk) | 13 comments September

25. The Shining / Stephen King