Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Olivia (new)

Olivia | 1 comments Hi, I would like to know why Mr. Rochester is said
to be ugly when he is described as not too tall
or short extremely broad through the shoulders
black hair black eyes. Thanks Olivia.

message 2: by Liz (new)

Liz (lizgore) | 2 comments yeah i wondered that too.

message 3: by Stuart (new)

Stuart | 1 comments I don't think Rochester was described as ugly, merely as not handsome.

message 4: by Liz (new)

Liz (lizgore) | 2 comments I think they were just trying to prove how superficial Blanche Ingram was. That she would marry an older unattractive man just for his money. If he had been handsome it would have taken away from her character.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

The author does not describe the physical characteristics of all her characters as extensively as Dickens. Perhaps she wanted the reader to use her own imagination what he looked like. I think most women know men that are dark, medium height, and broad shouldered that are good looking and not. Women, like men, also have a significant variance of taste in the physical attractiveness of the opposite sex. Giving us limited information allows us to make Rochester as plain and ordinary as we want.

To me, Jane Eyre was an enjoyable read. (Read it a few years ago.) The heroine becomes rich, is with the man she loves, etc. etc.. It is well written and the plot is complicated enough to keep you interested. On the other hand, it is not "Wuthering Heights" which, to me, seems a little more original for it's time. It is darker of course which makes it a heavier read. I enjoyed Charlotte's "Jane Eyre", but I got more out of Emily's "Wuthering Heights".

It's like Dickens, I prefer "David Copperfield", but "Bleak House" is probably superior in many ways.

message 6: by Gladys (new)

Gladys | 1 comments Glen wrote: " The author does not describe the physical characteristics of all her characters as extensively as Dickens. Perhaps she wanted the reader to use her own imagination what he looked like. I think m..."
I agree with you, I think Jane Eyre is a "Happier" reading than Wuthering Hights, however, I fall in love with all of the characters every time I read it, and it leaves a sensation of,..... I don't know, fullfilment?. I love it.

message 7: by Rachel (new)

Rachel McNab (shake-the-disease) | 2 comments Mr Rochester is never described as being "ugly" as such, just that he's not conventionally handsome. Jane finds him much more physically attractive after spending time with him, his personality and traits lead her to fall in love with him, rather than his good looks.

❀ Minesha ❀ (minesha) | 1 comments In the novel Jane Eyre, did Mr Rochester ever hunt animals? Did his father hunt or shoot? This paragraph confuses me.?

"The manor-house of Ferndean was a building of considerable antiquity, moderate size, and no architectural pretensions, deep buried in a wood. I had heard of it before. Mr. Rochester often spoke of it, and sometimes went there. His father had purchased the estate for the sake of the game covers. He would have let the house; but could find no tenant, in consequence of its ineligible and insalubrious site. Ferndean then remained uninhabited and unfurnished; with the exception of some two or three rooms fitted up for the accommodation of the squire when he went there in the season to shoot."

Jane Eyre, Chapter 37

I have a feeling that only his father used to, and not him. I really like this story. So crossing my finger, I hope he doesn't. Since it is not explicitly stated.

message 9: by Millie (last edited Jan 20, 2015 10:45AM) (new)

Millie Moo (bookaholic20) I don't think that Mr Rochester is ugly, I think charlotte Bronte used the word ugly to tell us his not extremely handsome but still descent looking. She uses ugly more of a way to describe how his mood is at the start. That's why he becomes less ugly to Jane because his mood changes. Hope that made scents