Between the Wars discussion

What brings this era most to life for you?

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gabriele (last edited Apr 15, 2009 05:57PM) (new)

Gabriele Wills (muskoka) | 526 comments Mod
For me - at the moment - it's The Great Gatsby, the humorous Jeeves and Wooster stories, Dorothy L. Sayers and Agatha Christie's mysteries, and non-fiction books like Everybody Was So Young. I loved both the long-ago TV series and recent movie of Brideshead Revisited but have never read the book.

message 2: by DJ (new)

DJ  (djdivaofjava) | 269 comments The recent movie version of "Brideshead Revisited"was quite good,I had been rather worried.I was fortunate enough to be at the "BAFTA-Preview"which was really good as I saw it before the reviews came out!
I`ll need to think which book most defines my view of the era(you never go wrong with"The Great Gatsby"though).

message 3: by Maggie (last edited Sep 23, 2009 08:56AM) (new)

Maggie | 24 comments The Tv version of Brideshead Revisited is one of my favourite series ever, (as is the book - and it was so faithful to the book too). I recently saw the movie version which was okay, not as bad as I thought it was going to be - but the actorplaying Sebastian was awful! He just wasn't right at all!

message 4: by Suvi (last edited Sep 23, 2009 02:17PM) (new)

Suvi (orpheusbooks) I'm a bit hesitant to watch the new version since Brideshead is my favourite book and it seems they've been tampering with it quite a lot. The tv series is on my to watch list, though. Jeremy Irons! :P

message 5: by DJ (new)

DJ  (djdivaofjava) | 269 comments Suvi wrote: "I'm a bit hesitant to watch the new version since Brideshead is my favourite book and it seems they've been tampering with it quite a lot. The tv series is on my to watch list, though. Jeremy Iro..."

I think you will really enjoy the series!

message 6: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 24 comments I too was hesitant to watch the movie version of Brideshead Revisited -only watched it because it came from LOvefilm before I could cancel it. It was just okay but they had tampered with the beautiful book. The series is absolutely beautiful though and so faithful to the book - I can't wait to see it again!

message 7: by Suvi (new)

Suvi (orpheusbooks) That's what I thought. Besides, you can't really fit the story in a two-hour movie, at least not properly. I think I'll watch it at some point, though, but only if it's free of charge, like in the internet.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Books aside, n a shallow sense, I love the clothes! The 20s especially. They're not too flattering unless you're rake-thin, so I love 30s/40s fashion too.

Agatha Christie's Poirot (the David Suchet adaptations) really brought it alive for me.

message 9: by Gabriele (new)

Clothes, music, dance - a sassy time!

message 10: by DJ (new)

DJ  (djdivaofjava) | 269 comments I admit I've lost count of the number of times I've watched "The
House of Elliot"the evolution of the clothes is shown is fabulous

message 11: by Sylvie (new)

Sylvie (sylviesd) | 1 comments I love the jazz music from this era. I think I was born a bit to late.

message 12: by Suvi (new)

Suvi (orpheusbooks) Oh I love the music too! I remember when we danced charleston on dance class, it was so much fun.

message 13: by Paula (new)

Paula A bit late to comment, but just wanted to add -

My interests in this area at first weren't related to books (odd for me!). I love Louis Armstrong and Billie Holiday (Miss Brown to You) and always associate them with this time period.

I discovered The Great Gatsby late last year and read it in a day over the Xmas holiday. The next day we went out on a scavenger hunt to find the film version with Robert Redford. I thought it was pretty true to the book, actually, but loved the book on its own merits.

message 14: by Gabriele (new)

There's a new version of Gatsby that came out a few years ago, but I don't recall it as well as the Redford version (which I have), but felt it was also true to the book. I should watch them back-to-back some time.