Terminalcoffee discussion

Speaking of Twitter...

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17346 comments Mod
I'm sallymae on Twitter. Follow me! Are you Twitting?

message 2: by Matt (new)

Matt | 819 comments I haven't posted much, but I love following. Trent Reznor and Neil Gaiman's tweets are quite good...if you are into either one of them.

message 3: by Sally, la reina (new)

I just added Neil Gaiman! I must read him this summer. I have a feeling I'll like his style.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Lalalalala!!! I see nothing! I am not curious!

(must resist lure of additional electronic time sucks... must resist lure of additional electronic time sucks...)

message 5: by Sally, la reina (new)

Dude, it doesn't suck your time like GR or even Facebook. It is a great way to find new information/news/hilarious bits of media. You'll love it.

message 6: by Sally, la reina (new)

I see you follow Crispin Glover, Tadpole, Sweeter does too. I can't bring myself to even click his icon. He creeped me out in Back to the Future! Is he funny/great/worth it?

I wish that "Christopher Walken" was still Twitting.

message 7: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Wait, does it come on your fancy schmancy cell phone, or on your computer, Sallers?

message 8: by Matt (new)

Matt | 819 comments He's been surprisingly boring thus far - doing some sort of performance tour through Eastern Europe. Penn Jillette has been kind of boring too...

Yes, I also miss Walken.

message 9: by Sally, la reina (new)

My phone is as far from fancy-schmancy as can be, RA. I can't even text on the POS.

message 10: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments So you do twitter on your computer? I thought people did twitter on cell phones. I've never looked at twitter.

message 11: by Sally, la reina (new)

I look at it on my computer. I'm sure people under 30 do it on their phones, but I'm always on the computer. It would take longer for me to get up, go find my phone, and figure out the shiite than to just open another tab.

message 12: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) I haven't joined but I enjoy reading some celebtweets.

http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com/...

message 13: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Must. Resist.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Sigh. I just spent 5 minutes looking at the TWOP site ALONE. Do not need additional diverting...

message 15: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments You must dance, Jackie! Dance! Get up and dance! Tango!

I have to turn off the computer or I'll check GR, facebook, etc. I mean, "shut down the computer completely". I will in eleven minutes. I promise.

message 16: by Sally, la reina (new)

Yeah, yeah. We've heard that one before.

message 17: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Eight minutes. Shh. I have to use all the allotted time.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Sadly, it takes two to tango, RA. I will have to settle for a bit of modest pogoing in my office chair...

message 19: by Sally, la reina (new)

My speed-reading eyes saw that as "Sally, it takes two to tango" and I was going to have to up my effort on getting you onto Twitter.

message 20: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Jackie, I LOVE TWoP!!!!

I just joined... MissieSarah.

message 21: by Matthieu (new)

Matthieu | 1009 comments Never had interest.

message 22: by Sally, la reina (new)

Yay Sarah! I love your picture!

message 23: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i twitter (that sounds sorta dirty) and i think it is a fun way to keep in touch with people and post dumb little things. Rainn Wilson is funny and Chris Cornell is so cool. i recommend both. Kenny Mayne (from ESPN) is one of the funniest. i am kevinsprinkle

btw - broke my brand new iphone already. 3 weeks old. ha! what a dumb*** i am. luckily my son is my insurance agent and i had placed it on my homeowners policy when i first got it as there is no insurance through AT&T for it. $24/yr saved me

message 24: by Sarah (last edited Apr 15, 2009 08:12PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) It's kind of freaking me out when Twitter emails to tell me someone I don't know is "following" me. I keep wanting to look behind me.

In fact, I may make that my next tweet.

message 25: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Nuts are everywhere, Sarah.

message 26: by Matt (new)

Matt | 819 comments Kevin: Sweet! Thanks for posting your username. I tried to find you on there about a week or so ago and had no luck.

Sorry to hear about your iphone. That is the reason why I still carry around a circa 2004 Nokia...

Sally: What's the story on your intriguing twitter avatar?

message 27: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I think I'm staying off twitter for now. But if you people start making twitter references, it's gonna be tough.

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Sarah wrote: "It's kind of freaking me out when Twitter emails to tell me someone I don't know is "following" me. I keep wanting to look behind me.

In fact, I may make that my next tweet."

I signed up as JimmyCub to see if it was anything I might like, so it may have been me Sarah. Didn't mean to frighten you. I signed up quick, and then handed my computer to my son to use, so didn't post anything about it. Doesn't look like something I will use much, but if I don't try I will never know.

message 29: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Katie Couric agrees with you Sherri. She said that while she follows some people, and does occasionally broadcast a tweet of her own, "I don't think anybody gives a rats ass whether I am about to eat a tuna sandwich. "

message 30: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I think it's an interesting social phenomenon. It makes me wonder where it's all going. No doubt the majority of what's posted on there is utterly useless and meaningless. But are there gold nuggets mixed in at random? I'm just wondering.

message 31: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Uh huh. Fer sher, Sherrio.

message 32: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i have really been surprised at how chris cornell can say such sweet things about his family, astute things about society and then a great random rock and roll nonsense tweet. there are def some good stuff mixed with stupid stuff mixed with funny stuff

message 33: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) You don't have to follow people who post boring things. I like the Celeb Tweets because they're funny and random.

Jim, within moments of signing up I had several people "follow" me. Not just you.

message 34: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I discovered i could block followers I didn't want ... uh ... following me. Such as the "lady" who wanted me to go to the adult "adult" dating service link. BLOCKED!!

message 35: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24360 comments Mod
This is President Clinton's official Twitter. "PrezBilly Jeff." Colbert set it up for him, which explains why it says at the top, "I am President William Jefferson Billy Jeff Rodham Clinton. Stephen Colbert is my BFF."

https://twitter.com/PrezBillyJeff

But will it only have one tweet, which was input by Colbert, for perpetuity?

message 36: by Susan (last edited Apr 10, 2013 07:26PM) (new)

Susan | 6406 comments I don't understand the phenomena of the tweet.

If I were Sally, I would call my husband "Tweeter".

message 37: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Susan, I don't either. I have an account, I think. At least I did, when I was helping Montambo fight back against her cyber-stalker ex looser creepy freak. But, since I created a profile and "friended" her or whatever you do on there I've never been back. My step-son always bugs me about it. But, I don't have the energy to bother. I LOVE GR and you lot, and I don't always have the energy or time to come on here, why would I add more?

message 38: by Alias Reader (last edited Apr 20, 2013 03:56PM) (new)

Alias Reader (aliasreader) I follow companies, health doctors, organizations and some people who post on only on topics that interest me.

For example, I like books, so I follow all the major publishing houses and the Huffington Post book section. You could follow your favorite author or local bookstore.

I'm interested in health. So I follow things like Web MD, various vegetarian posters, food magazines and exercise magazines.

I am interested in local places like my museum, botanical garden etc. It keeps one up to date on events. My local police dept. also use Twitter to send out emergency info to the public.

I like to follow news. So I follow all various news organizations like CNN, NPR, BBC, USA Today etc. I also follow my local TV news stations. PBS is a good one to follow.

I'm a fool for a good quote. Therefore I follow various quote sites.

What you can do is put the topic in the search to find who to follow. For example, you could put "vegetarian" in the search.

Also once you have people/organizations etc. to follow you can see who they are following and add them to your list, too.

Of course you can follow celebs and magazines like People.

I am closing in on following 400. I don't tweet myself. I follow it on my computer, not phone.

message 39: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

I'm not on Twitter, I don't tweet. But I do look at twitter if it's some matter that interests me and there's no other source of information about it. For example, the Boston bombing suspect craziness, the major news sources simply can't keep up with Twitter, because they have to confirm everything. (Or at least they're supposed to.) Twitter doesn't have to confirm anything, it's just a stream of information, correct and incorrect. It's people following police scanners, people reading Reddit (which I don't go to). I find either one person who seems to know what they're talking about and is giving regular updates, or I follow a particular hashtag (#Watertown was the one I was following which was updating like crazy, 20 new tweets every 10 seconds or so). It's not a particularly reliable way to get facts, but if you're a junkie on a particular story it's like having a drug go right into your vein.

I also don't have TV anymore, so if there's some huge story I want to follow and Twitter isn't enough, I'll find a livestream of some TV station. I was livestreaming a local Boston/Watertown station at one point, and CBS at another point, and looking at Twitter at the same time.

message 40: by Susan (new)

Susan | 6406 comments Amelia wrote: "I LOVE GR and you lot, and I don't always have the energy or time to come on here, why would I add more?"

Aww. I feel the same way. I also don't need anymore distractions at the moment.
That being said, I could easily begin using it in the way Alias Reader and LG do.
Though, I have spurts of curiosity about things which I will decide to research. That always leads to searching for like information about the subject so as to get a bearing on how factual it is.
Sometimes, when I see a tweet feed posted on tv I grow irritated and grumpy. There is a lot of nonsense on there, too.

message 41: by Meels (last edited Apr 23, 2013 10:34AM) (new)

Meels (amelia) So, the guys just told me that somebody hacked the AP's Twitter account and put up a tweet that there had been a terror attack and The Market dropped a hundred points. Once the AP posted that it was a hack, The Market rebounded right back up...

This may seem silly to some of you, but it is quite significant to anyone who had a Stop Loss in play.

message 42: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

It doesn't seem silly to me at all, it seems extremely serious.

Reuters data showed the tweet briefly wiped out $136.5 billion of the S&P 500 index's value before markets recovered. Some traders attributed the sharp fall and bounce-back to automatic electronic trading.

A group calling itself the Syrian Electronic Army, which is supportive of that country's leader, President Bashar al-Assad, during the two-year civil war, claimed responsibility on Tuesday on its own Twitter feed for the AP hack.

"There's plenty of blame to go around," said Stewart Baker, a cybersecurity lawyer at Steptoe & Johnson in Washington. "AP should have had better passwords, Twitter should have gone to at least optional two-factor authentication months ago, and guys on the Street really should be thinking twice before they trade on Twitter reports. That's risky."

For years, security experts have called on Twitter to introduce a two-factor authentication measure, which requires a two-step process to log in and which they say would greatly reduce such breaches.

Someone commented on the Tribune's site, "WHY ARE OUR FORTUNES IN THE HANDS OF IDIOTS WHO JUMP AT THEIR OWN SHADOWS?"

Why indeed.

message 43: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

I hate it when TV reports what is on Twitter. Fucking lazy mofos. Go do some reporting yourself. "And right now blah blah blah is trending on Twitter...."

It seems to me that people who only have TV as a source of information don't care what is on Twitter. (Like, elderly people.) And people who have TV as just one of many sources of information, already know what is on Twitter because they are looking at it. So it benefits no one for TV to duplicate Twitter.

message 44: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7137 comments Just joined, CynthiaPash.

I have discovered Twitter is a good way to hear what is new in Older Daughter's life--we are not Facebook friends.

It is also a good way to contact Senator Bumfuc* Grassley, as he is way, way into the Twitter.

message 45: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Step-son wants me to do Twitter. I won't. He can call me...text me...FB me...email me...come over. No.

message 46: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments twitter is wayyyyy easy and the most up to date info especially on news or sports. no cat pictures or teddy bears with poems posted. where it's at

message 47: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Sept for the hacking and fake news that bombs the market...*winks at Kev*