Movies We've Just Watched discussion

Lord of the Rings

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mouse (new)

Mouse | 4 comments Started rewatching the movies and by God, I'm in love. It's like he took the books and blew them onto the screen. I know I will forever picture the characters and settings as they're shown in the film.
Yeah, they didn't handle Denethor too well but in my opinion, the LOTR trilogy is one kickass set of films.

message 2: by Ed (new)

Ed | 218 comments Mod
I still need to see the extended version of the 3rd movie.

message 3: by Bree (new)

Bree we went thru a marathon w/ my 12 year old son watching these, he is addicted to them and has watched the extended version and all the making of stuff...I love watching Richard Taylor.

I love these movies, so well done and really caught the spirit of the books. The acting was suburb and they did a great job of adapting the books to the screenplay.

message 4: by Angie (new)

Angie I also did a marathon with these movies in the theater. Back when the third movie came out certain theaters across the country did a marathon and went to the one in Denver. And we drove there from Utah just for it, most theaters sold out of tickets in 30 minutes! We happen to know (by way of my aunt) the CEO of regal cinemas and he got us tickets even though the movie was sold out. It was a blast. We even got little gifts after the movie from new line. I am so hoping Peer Jackson also does the Hobbit. Who can do a better job then him? In my picture Aragorn's sword is in the back ground. :)

message 5: by Prabha (new)

Prabha | 11 comments I am an avowed Tolkien freak. And we all know what disaster adaptations do to our perceptions of a really great epic. So i absolutely refused to watch the LOTR movies when they were released. Until about a month ago, when i found myself with nothing to watch and the LOTR dvd was at hand... I was up the whole night watching, and then some! The movies are a wonderful homage to Tolkien's epic. The best best part is that, as you're watching, you remember bits that have been left out (like Tom Bombadil), and realise that it's not gonna affect the story, but the memory is suffice to make you smile and sigh...

Caroline Cantner | 3 comments I think the key to the LOTR movies is that everybody involved was 100% dedicated to Tolkien and embraced the project in a very serious, almost spiritual way - that is why even though whole sections and characters were by necessity left out or adjusted, it still rang true to Tolkien's fans...I was as moved by the making of this trilogy as I was by the films themselves!

message 7: by Prabha (new)

Prabha | 11 comments yr so right... the only way to truly embrace Tolkien is with total spiritual zest! I don't know much about the making of the movies though. Any leads?

Caroline Cantner | 3 comments Definitely start with the extras in the dvds - there were some specials on tv during the times the movies were released, too but I'm not sure how to get a hold of those...the thing that amazes me is that, to my knowledge, this is the first time that an entire trilogy was filmed essentially en masse under the direction of an industry unknown without any of the brad pitt type top billing actors - it's just an extraordinary act of faith!

message 9: by Angie (new)

Angie incase you are interested more in the hobbit movie here is a link about it:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/c...

message 10: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra I have a few problems with the movies, which is always going to happen when a book is adapted to the screen, but overall they did an excellent job.

message 11: by Fenixbird (last edited Feb 03, 2008 04:14AM) (new)

Fenixbird SandS | 14 comments ...and, Caroline, I agree with your comment..and what a lovely & extraordinary leap of faith! Cheers!

Setting: New Zealand is obviously an extraordinary place...and what luck Viggo Mortensen had to be picked & added to the mix--when it was determined Stuart Townsend did not convey a mature enough presence (that was what I had heard)...
They all travelled to New Zealand & made the lot of 'em..all 3 in a row...boom booom boom! It was the Director's (Producer's?) idea I heard...let them all live together & become a kind of "family"!! Makes you almost want to take up acting as a career doesn't it??

message 12: by Prabha (new)

Prabha | 11 comments Thanks for the leads, Caroline and Angie.

You know, SO much can go wrong when adapting a book for the silver screen. With the LOTR trilogy movies, i am just amazed that they got SO much right!

message 13: by Sarah (last edited Feb 03, 2008 11:53AM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) The extra features on the DVDs are some of the best I've ever seen. Fascinating stuff. I love how detailed they are.

I still cannot believe Sean Astin wasn't nominated for best supporting actor for the third movie. His performance was amazing. "I can't carry the ring for you, but I can carry you!" I wept.

message 14: by Mouse (new)

Mouse | 4 comments Neither can I. Sean Astin owned that movie. Then again I also think it was a crock Andy Serkis didn't get nominated for playing Gollum in Two Towers because Hollywood doesn't consider CGI real acting.

message 15: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (dwell_ondreams) I love these films. I think Peter Jackson did a great job of getting the spirit of the story.