Fantasy Book Group for Kiwi's discussion

Introduce yourself !

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jon Snow (new)

Jon Snow | 4 comments Mod
Found GoodReads and wanted to try a different tact on this site. I wanted only opinions from Kiwi's!

I'm from Auckland by currently living in Wellington

I mostly read fantasy and sometimes delve into some sci-fi. Occasionally I will read something out of those 2 genres but that might be only 1-2 books a year.

I have a book blog that I try and update once a week. I use it to entice myself to read and help to improve my writing skills in general.

www.sleeping-with-books.blogspot.com

My Current Top 5 books/series are:
1) A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire) by George R.R. Martin
2) Mistborn Trilogy by Brandon Sanderson
3) The Blade Itself (The First Law Trilogy) by Joe Abercrombie
4) The Lies of Locke Lamora (The Gentlemen Bastards Series) by Scott Lynch
5) Fevre Dream by George R.R. Martin

message 2: by Donna R (new)

Donna R (goodreadscomuser_ainsco) Kia Ora

GoodReads popped up for me while searching for the next thing to read, I'm gonna have to get stricter with myself as now I have over 100 books on my 'to read' shelf!

I've always enjoyed F/SF and would say they make up over a third of books I read.

Top 5,

Ursula Le Guin
Sherri Tepper
Iain Banks
David Brin
Tad Williams

For a kiwi flavour I'd recommend Russell Kirkpatrick (Fire of Heaven/Broken Man trilogies), on a recent search I found Tui Allen and her book 'Ripple'.

I'd welcome any suggestions for Kiwi authors to try

message 3: by Donna R (new)

Donna R (goodreadscomuser_ainsco) Forgot to say I was born in Fiordland, lived most of life in Chch then briefly in Wellington before leaving nz in 88. Now live in Perth, Aus.
Family visits have bought me home many times over years most recently last April to Waiheke

message 4: by Lilian (new)

Lilian Jade | 1 comments Hi my name is Lilian I'm new to this group I am also an indie author/writer and was wondering if I can get some help from all you wonderful NZ readers.

Hay there peeps! Lilian here, "Across the ditch book bash 2015" is looking for attendees if this sounds like you then sign on up!!! The event is held in Auckland, New Zealand on the 21st -22nd of November. I'm totally looking forward to this event, International authors are welcome join up right here and spread the word!!! Eeekkk this doc below is for all authors/writers if you would like to know more about this event I will drop the links down below for you all to check out.

If you need to contact me or my co-organizer please do so on the book bash page private message.

registration doc for authors https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1WGsq...

Across the ditch book bash 2015 facebook page https://www.facebook.com/AcrossTheDit...

Across the ditch book bash hub closed group for potential attendees (readers, fans, and authors)https://www.facebook.com/groups/13775...

Regards

Lilian

message 5: by Belinda (last edited Mar 27, 2015 11:40PM) (new)

Belinda Mellor | 1 comments Hi, I'm from Nelson.
I read and write fantasy and I love everything from folklore to epic fantasy, and all mythology.
If you are looking for a gentle fantasy read, please check out my novel Silvana-the Greening. Available in paperback and for all eReaders. My second book, Silvana-the Turning is due for release before month's end.
I'd love to share these novels with more Kiwi readers.

message 6: by Steven (new)

Steven Raaymakers (sraaymakers) | 1 comments Hi there, my name is Steven.

I'm a huge fantasy buff, currently in the process of publishing my own as well. Hope this group is still up and kicking?

My favorite fantasy authors, in no particular order, are Sapkowski, Tolkien, Erikson and Sanderson.

message 7: by Minu (new)

Minu Freitag (minufreitag) | 3 comments Hi Steve, I am Minu from Wellington. I'd love to find some fellow Kiwi fantasy authors :). I followed your author page. Let me know if you want to have a look at my debut book and I'll send you a free ebook copy for review - no strings attached - and am happy to return the favour :).

message 8: by Minu (new)

Minu Freitag (minufreitag) | 3 comments Belinda wrote: "Hi, I'm from Nelson.
I read and write fantasy and I love everything from folklore to epic fantasy, and all mythology.
If you are looking for a gentle fantasy read, please check out my novel Silvana..."

Hi Belinda, your post is a while back but I'd love to connect. Did you publish your book? Minu Freitag

message 9: by Minu (new)

Minu Freitag (minufreitag) | 3 comments Hi Lords and Ladies,

I am Minu Freitag and have written this The Fragments, The Spheres - Book One.

I'd love to connect with more NZ writers! ... And find ways to breath some more life into this little group?

Cheers

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Fragments, The Spheres - Book One (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Minu Freitag (other topics)