You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Closed Discussion Topic > Goodreads site question- Has this ever happened to you?

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jaime (new)

Jaime | 240 comments Hi everybody,

I recently went to organize my books into a couple new categories and realized a huge amount of books that I KNOW I added were not appearing on any of my shelves. I'm talking over twenty books that I KNOW I added in the past. Has anyone else ever had this happen? I wonder what's going on?

message 2: by Julie (new)

Julie Jaime,

Maybe you've resolved this by now, but did you know there is a Goodreads Feedback group where you can ask this question? I had a question about my bookshelves and they answered very quickly!

message 3: by Jaime (new)

Jaime | 240 comments Thanks, Julie! I will check with the feedback group. I still keep finding books on my bookshelf at home that I KNOW I added and they aren't there. I actually sat down with all my books when I was organizing them one day and added them all, so I know they should be there. Is the feedback group found under "groups"?

message 4: by Julie (new)

Julie Yep, it's called Goodreads Feedback and you can search for it on the groups page.

message 5: by Eva-Marie (new)

Eva-Marie (evamarie3578) Did you find your books Jaime? Were the books that were lost manually added by you or added when you searched the database?

message 6: by Jaime (new)

Jaime | 240 comments I never found the books. It took me hours to re-add and I'm still not done. I will probably never re-add the "read" books that I lost (if any). I am bad and never kept a written book journal. I rely on my lists on Goodreads! I always manually add my books, mainly using the ISBNs. I did join the group that Julie recommended and the "Architect" of the Goodreads site actually talked to me about it. There really is no answer he can give me as to why this happened as I didn't do any of the things mentioned that could make it happen. Wierd. It's interesting, though, someone had the opposite problem as me. Books were appearing on his/her shelf. Anyway, i learned my lesson. I now export my lists every so often, so I have a copy for myself.

As a side note.....the Goodreads Feedback group is neat. They cover a variety of issues. I've also learned that it's a great group of people who run this site! They are very responsive and open to suggestion.

message 7: by Eva-Marie (new)

Eva-Marie (evamarie3578) That is definitely strange. I was wondering if the books that went missing were manually added because a lot of the time when someone starts, they'll manually add books that we already have in the system or they'll add them wrong or missing info, and the listings will be deleted.
When that happens the librarian doing the deleting will push the rating/review over to the "real" listing, even without a rating and review, the book itself gets pushed over. You may notice a change in cover art, something like that but the book stays. But if a librarian who didn't know how to do that got ahold of yours books well.......
But if you didn't add them yourself then I'm at a loss. I've never heard of anything like that. And for it to happen with so many, that's another reason why I thought it. When I come across a incorrect listing I'll go to the persons page who entered it and look through their books to see if they entered anymore incorrect listings. I found one yesterday and when I went to the members page I found over 20 more!
The feedback group is awesome. I love it- there are so many things always going on to make the site better! That sucks so much about the books though- I wish it wouldn't have happened.

message 8: by Jaime (new)

Jaime | 240 comments Yes. I'm glad I found the group through my problem. I know one of the biggest requests on there is for half-star ratings. I hope they are able to start offering that!

message 9: by Eva-Marie (new)

Eva-Marie (evamarie3578) I hope so too! I don't know how many reviews I've done where I wished I didn't have to choose exactly three or four stars or whatever. There was just a poll about it too and the half star option won hands down so I think it'll be implemented soon. I can't wait.
There were some people who felt it wasn't needed and a very few who for some reason thought that the half star option would 'change' their past ratings but IMO, that makes no sense at all. If you don't want to use the half star then don't. It's really very simple. Why not at least have the option though? And I'm willing to bet that 9 out of 10 people who DIDN'T want the option there would eventually use it anyway! LOL

message 10: by Molly (new)

Molly | 270 comments Eva - I have been waiting for 1/2 stars since I joined almost a year ago and read discussions about it back then. It either must be difficult to implement or there must be a lot more urgent items to take care of. Or the powers that be just don't agree with the masses. I would love to have the option to use them going forward but fear that day will never come.

message 11: by Eva-Marie (new)

Eva-Marie (evamarie3578) Me too Molly, I'm not sure why it's taken so long. I'm not sure of any one reason I mean. I know the feedback group just had a poll and the people wanting the 1/2 stars heavily outweighed those who didn't. I was very vocal about the option of NOT using them if people didn't want to. I don't see why anyone really would be against and added feature to a site they use. Just don't use it if you don't want to. I would never go against a feature, even if I didn't personally want it, if others did. I would just not use it myself.
I think the biggest thing was some other stuff that was being updated. But that's only a guess- I don't know for sure. It looks like it's going to happen now though- they have a post in the feedback group where members can make suggestions and also a list where we can kind of look and get a general idea about what may be updated too. I don't know if you've ever been to the feedback group- it's pretty cool I think.

message 12: by Molly (new)

Molly | 270 comments ♡ Eva ♡ wrote: "I don't know if you've ever been to the feedback group- it's pretty cool I think.
..."

I do belong to that group and get e-mail updates daily. I voted in that poll too the same way as you. I just never see Otis address the issue one way or the other. They seem to be just letting the users fight it out on the half star debate without any direction as to what may or may not be possible. Frustrating.

message 13: by Eva-Marie (new)

Eva-Marie (evamarie3578) Well I hope it does go through and soon. I just finished a book last night that I'd rather give a 4.5 to than a 5 but I can't give it a 4 because it's better than that!

message 14: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl  (cherylllr) I don't think it will go through - meanwhile, in my few reviews where I just can't decide 3 vs 4, or 4 vs 5, I just start the text of the review with a quick explanation of what rating I'd give it if 1/2 stars were available.