Movies We've Just Watched discussion

Cloverfield....see or not to see

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Has anybody read any books set in Hollywood?

message 2: by ScottK (last edited Jan 20, 2008 03:51PM) (new)

ScottK I am planning to go see it on Tuesday night. Anyone seen it yet?

message 3: by bsc (new)

bsc (bsc0) Saw it yesterday. I recommend it. As they say, it is a unique take on the old school monster movie. Pretty intense.

message 4: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nlojeda) | 42 comments It was good. Worth seeing in the theater for sure. Try to see it in Dolby Digital rather than standard projection. I thought it could have used some more monster action and a little less character set up.

message 5: by Missy (new)

Missy I saw it with my monster movie lover husband. He liked it, we both wished there was more monster and less uninteresting characters to follow. Visualy it was pretty cool, especially considering all the CGI.

message 6: by Nicole (last edited Jan 24, 2008 10:43PM) (new)

Nicole | 3 comments I went to see this on Wednesday. When I was standing at the window to purchase my ticket there was a sign posted that suggested those w/ a history of motion sickness should see a different movie. I had read that sitting in the back row would be helpful in avoiding this. I sat in the back row feeling all prepared, but about 20 minutes into the movie I began to feel very dizzy and slightly nauseated, however, the movie was pretty exciting so I continued to sit there in spite of my discomfort. I had already gotten slightly invested in the plight of the characters and the way the film was shot was beneficial to adding drama to the movie. It got to the point where I tried several tricks: shutting my eyes for a few minutes and just listening to the film, squinting, staring at the area just above the screen, taking a short nap, praying to a God I don't necessarily believe in, etc. I was desperate to finish the film. I guess that's a pretty good testament to how exciting it was, but after about an hour of these--non-effective--techniques I stumbled out of the theater, headed straight to the bathroom and vomited with unparalleled fury. I sweat I'm not exaggerating when I say I was out of sorts for the rest of the evening. Beware. And, will someone tell me what happens at the end? Please?

message 7: by Alice (new)

Alice i have read one book that was set in L.A., and it's called secrets of my hollywood life.

message 8: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa Nicole,

I had exactly the same experience as you. Twenty minutes in I felt like I was going to toss my cookies all of the guy in front of me. Just as the monster made its first entrance I decided to leave the theater and not go back in. My husband said

SPOILER!!!!

that in the end all of the main characters die (except one girl) - either killed by the monster, or because NY gets nuked by the military (without evacuating anybody) becuse it is the only way they can stop the monster. You never get to find out where it came from or why it had a grudge against the big apple.

message 9: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 14 comments if you could handle the blair witch camera stuff, then you'll be able to handle cloverfield. personally, i loved it, but it really was basically godzilla by way of the blair witch project. if you're into the technical aspects of film at all though, you should really see this. there are a lot of impressive continuous takes (like the first time you come across the army) and the way they meshed the CG monster into the shaky footage just confounds me; i can't wait to see the making of features.

my advice, as someone who suffers from lots of vertigo issues, is take a dramamine or something beforehand (if nothing else it'll have a placebo effect), sit somewhere between the middle and the back, see it in a stadium seating theatre if at all possible, and definitely DON'T BE DRUNK. one of my friends was, and he had to leave and wait outside. but i had no problem.

message 10: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Dror (dramaticdanielle) what would you rate it? what is it about?

message 11: by Alice (new)

Alice i would definetly give it 5 stars, and it is about this girl who is the star on a tv show, and how she goes undercover to her freind's school so she can experience a normal life. it has a lot of talk about hollywood and it's in my books if you want more info.