UK Book Club discussion

Genre Challenge 2013-15 > May 2013 - Award winning (Booker, Orange Prize etc)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 114 (114 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Ian, Moderator (new)

Ian (PepeCan) | 5544 comments Mod
Just pipped Fantasy at the post.

message 2: by Sue (new)

Sue | 1340 comments Thank goodness for that! :)

message 3: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 2978 comments Mod
excellent and I have the Pulitzer Prize-winning 'Middlesex' all ready and waiting on my kindle. I've been meaning to read it for ages and now I have the perfect excuse :)

message 4: by Andrew (new)

Andrew | 1013 comments Middlesex is a good choice Liz and it would do either for us tour or even around world as part of it is set in Armenia (?). I'm relieved as I went to library to pick up a couple of books in this category, going to start with 'Pure' by Andrew Miller as it was Costa winner.

message 5: by Susan (new)

Susan Pure was definatly one of my favourite books last year....I loved it.

message 6: by Sue (last edited May 01, 2013 01:03PM) (new)

Sue | 1340 comments Think I'll try , The Siege of Krishnapur set in a British enclave in India - Booker 1973 and for my world travels, Fireflies, set in Trinidad, winner of John Llewellyn Rhys 1971. So much choice. Often find the Booker a bit of a slog.

message 7: by Nicola (new)

Nicola | 37 comments 20 chapters in to Life of Pi and no little boat and no tiger! Not what I was expecting from the film trailers!

message 8: by Gemma (last edited May 01, 2013 10:30AM) (new)

Gemma Birt | 65 comments I read Pure for Historical and thought it was a decent read - enjoy:-)

Award winning books... Bleurgh... I never pick books based on what awards they have so this will be out of my comfort zone. Saying that, been meaning to read Life Of Pi for years so will probably choose that for starters!

message 9: by Laura (new)

Laura | 26 comments I've chosen 'The Lacuna' by Barbara Kingsolver.

(I read 'Life of Pi' ten years ago :D )

message 10: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Still working through the final parts of last months book, but lined up The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay....and ....A Short History of Nearly Everything (won the Aventis prize for best general science book)...Mr Bryson donated the £10,000 prize to the Great Ormond Street Hospital.

message 11: by Liz (new)

Liz Hunt will be reading The White Tiger. really looking forward to it

message 12: by Sue (new)

Sue | 1340 comments Liz wrote: "will be reading The White Tiger. really looking forward to it"
Loved that one Liz - hope you enjoy it. I love books set in India.

message 13: by Liz (new)

Liz Hunt Sue wrote: "Liz wrote: "will be reading The White Tiger. really looking forward to it"
Loved that one Liz - hope you enjoy it. I love books set in India."

Ive read a few over the years by both english and indian authors...had this on my stack for a while. its time to delve

message 14: by Gemma (last edited May 01, 2013 01:04PM) (new)

Gemma Birt | 65 comments Liz wrote: "will be reading The White Tiger. really looking forward to it"

Really great, original, fresh read. I also recommend his Last Man in Tower if you like what you see :-)

message 15: by Kate (new)

Kate | 18 comments I abandoned Life of Pi earlier in the year. I shall try again!

message 16: by Liz (new)

Liz Hunt Kate wrote: "I abandoned Life of Pi earlier in the year. I shall try again!"

It really is an amazing story...keep at it and then yell at me at the end if you absolutely have to...but i dont think you will =)

message 17: by Deanne (new)

Deanne | 688 comments Finished Tales of the South Pacific by Michener, started as April War and discovered that it won the Pulitzer in 1948. Finished today so that's may too.

message 18: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2442 comments I've got a fe2wof possibles in mind; Agatha Award winner The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie; Booker Award Wolf Hall or Hugo Award winner The Left Hand of Darkness... Some ideas from books I have anyway.. :0)

message 19: by Ian, Moderator (new)

Ian (PepeCan) | 5544 comments Mod
Think I'll prob go for When I Lived in Modern Times by Linda Grant by Linda Grant - Orange winner 2000.

message 20: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahlou29) I'm going to attempt to find Wolf Hall in the library. It won the 2009 Man Booker Prize for Fiction =]

message 21: by Kiwi Sarah (new)

Kiwi Sarah (mjs13) | 166 comments Sarah wrote: "I'm going to attempt to find Wolf Hall in the library. It won the 2009 Man Booker Prize for Fiction =]"

The "Sarah"s think alike - I'm planning on trying to hopefully read both Wolf Hall / Bring Up the Bodies if I can get through them in a month.

Also hopefully Ketchup Clouds by Annabel Pitcher which won the Waterstone children's book prize for my kid's read for this genre. (Still got to finish last month's children's book...)

message 22: by Em, Moderator (new)

Em (emmap) | 2914 comments Mod
I think for one of mine I can double up The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller for this and my choice for Ancient Times too. I'm still thinking about a potential second read...

I enjoyed The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga - I agree it's an original, interesting book, definately a good choice.

message 23: by Angela (new)

Angela (bookangel2) | 701 comments Oh....so many to chose from! May need to pick a name out of a hat if I can't decide soon.

message 24: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (daniellecobbaertbe) | 370 comments I got The Woodcutter by Reginald Hill as audio book (unabridged) which I could listen to. I also have an abridged version of John Katzenbach's The Madman's Tale. I'm thinking of downloading the audio version of Staying On by Paul Scott which would give me India on my travels.

Got The Reader as well. And since I didn't get around reading a book with a war or revolution theme I can read Lost City Radio which has also won an award.

message 25: by Liz (new)

Liz Hunt Just started the white tiger. So not what I thought - it's much better. I thought if might be a bit like shantaram but its easy paced and fascinating

message 26: by Nick (new)

Nick | 42 comments I have not finished reading for lat month but also have the white tiger to read so I shall start with that.

message 27: by Dave (new)

Dave Wood (pocket7976) | 994 comments @mandy enjoy kavaliver and clay one of my favourite reads of last year. The comic book sequel is just as good.

Wonder if I can cheat a bit and read a fantasy book that won a fantasy award? If not will have to be wolf hall I think

message 28: by Liz (new)

Liz Hunt Gemma wrote: "Liz wrote: "will be reading The White Tiger. really looking forward to it"

Really great, original, fresh read. I also recommend his Last Man in Tower if you like what you see :-)"

Gemma wrote: "Liz wrote: "will be reading The White Tiger. really looking forward to it"

Really great, original, fresh read. I also recommend his Last Man in Tower if you like what you see :-)"

Have had a look at it and added it to my to read list. cheers for that

message 29: by Mandy (last edited May 05, 2013 09:15AM) (new)

Mandy Dave wrote: "@mandy enjoy kavaliver and clay one of my favourite reads of last year. The comic book sequel is just as good.

Wonder if I can cheat a bit and read a fantasy book that won a fantasy award? If not ..."

Dave, I also have a yearning for Wolf Hall, though I see no reason against the fantasy book as long as it is award winning? Looking out for guidance from a moderator perhaps? ...I thought about Lord of the rings trilogy before settling on Kav & clay

message 30: by Em, Moderator (new)

I'd say any award counts, fantasy shouldn't be marginalised! Which award did it win Dave?

I think you should give Wolf Hall a chance too, I thought that book was fantastic - there's a lot of Tudor books out there but this one was something special...

message 31: by Liz (new)

Liz Hunt Wolf hall was Amazing as was the second part bring up the bodies. All from Thomas Cromwell's perspective. Absolutely brilliant

message 32: by Susan (new)

Susan I have decided to start with The Tiger's Wife by Téa Obreht! Winner of The Orange Prize for Fiction in 2011.
I've had this book for a while....it has mixed reviews, so I'll just have to see how I get on.

message 33: by Andrew (new)

Andrew | 1013 comments I finished Pure by Andrew Miller which i enjoyed and as reviewers have commented it really captured the time and feel of pre revolution France plus an engaging tale,the only thing that troubled me as I was about three quarters through is it reminded me a lot of The Spire by William Golding and once that entered my head it lost its spark as the latter was a magnificent read. Anybody any views? Not sure if it was really the book of the year in 2011 as Costa awarded it but a good read none the less. On Fantasy as per Dave's comment I had planned to read Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury but whether this come under prize winner I'm not sure , I think I'll keep until fantasy as it's not a genre that appeals ordinarily although I remember loving the Thomas Covenant books a long time ago.

message 34: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 2978 comments Mod
Dave wrote: "@mandy enjoy kavaliver and clay one of my favourite reads of last year. The comic book sequel is just as good.

Wonder if I can cheat a bit and read a fantasy book that won a fantasy award? If not ..."

I agree with Em; if it's won an award, it's in.
(Smarties' Book Prize anyone?). ;)

message 35: by Liz, Moderator (new)

Liz | 2978 comments Mod
Andrew wrote: "I finished Pure by Andrew Millerwhich i enjoyed and as reviewers have commented it really captured the time and feel of pre revolution France plus an engaging tale,the only thing that troubled ..."

I heard Pure being discussed on Radio 4's book club. It sounded great, just up my street, but I have promised myself that if I have time for more than one award-winner this month, it has to be Bring Up the Bodies.

I do wonder if I will ever get through my 'to read' list and the answer is probably no - great books are being written all the time - I will never catch up!

message 36: by Michael (new)

Michael Cattigan (thebookloverssanctuary) | 20 comments Wolf Hall and Bring Up The Bodies are sublime!! Equally Pure in the historic fiction category.

But for a fantastic - briefer - read, Try Patrick Ness' A Monster Calls: Carnegie, Kate Greenaway, Smarties winner amongst a raft of other prizes, it deals absolutely honestly with a boy trying to deal with his mother's impending death from cancer. An ABSOLUTE must-read for everyone! Forget the YA tag!

message 37: by Nick (new)

Nick | 42 comments once I have finished white tiger I also have the Lacuna to read, and the poisonwood bible.

message 38: by Liz (new)

Liz Hunt Well that was an amazing read. The White Tiger blew me away by its honesty and matter-of-fact attitude to life and death. i will be reading more of his books soon thats for sure

message 39: by Nicola (new)

Nicola | 37 comments Just finished Life of Pi by Yann Martel and really enjoyed it. What a great story after all that war time misery last month. Need to try to find something else now.

message 40: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Lloyd (jennyoldhouse) Liz wrote: "Kate wrote: "I abandoned Life of Pi earlier in the year. I shall try again!"

It really is an amazing story...keep at it and then yell at me at the end if you absolutely have to...but i dont think ..."

My daughter is reading it at the moment and has told me to read it. She says it is one of the best books she has ever read.

message 41: by Sarah (last edited May 09, 2013 10:46AM) (new)

Sarah (sarahlou29) I will be going to the Library on Sat and hopefully picking up both Wolf Hall and Life of Pi. And possibly if I can find it Bring Up The Bodies =]

message 42: by Gemma (new)

Gemma Birt | 65 comments Liz wrote: "Well that was an amazing read. The White Tiger blew me away by its honesty and matter-of-fact attitude to life and death. i will be reading more of his books soon thats for sure"

Really glad you enjoyed it! Last Man in Tower is excellent and I'm saving Between the Assassinations for the Short Stories genre :-)

Just finished Life of Pi... For the first 30-40 pages I was flicking through thinking 'I'm really not going to like this!' I don't admit I'm wrong very often (because I'm not normally lol) but in this case I couldn't have been moreso. What an incredible read. Stripped back, inspirational and utterly original. 5*!

message 43: by Kate (new)

Kate | 1077 comments I've just started The Remains of the Day for this challenge. Picking up an "I" for A-Z as well! :) So far so good.

message 44: by Em, Moderator (new)

I loved The Remains of the Day, hope you enjoy it.

I have decided on a second choice for the challenge, it's Moon Tiger by Penelope Lively Moon Tiger by Penelope Lively. It won the Booker in 1987 and one chapter in, I'm saying this looks very promising...

message 45: by Angela (new)

Angela (bookangel2) | 701 comments Still haven't finished my second book for April - The Book Thief, but have read one that might qualify for this month's challenge. It's called On The Holloway Road by Andrew Blackman and it won the Luke Bitmead Award in 2008. (It's an award which supports "fledgling" writers.) It's a good read. When I finish The Book Thief, I think I'll read Pure by Andrew Miller . (Loving The Book Thief by the way - taking my time and have gone back to multi-reading!)

message 46: by Andrew (new)

Andrew | 1013 comments Em wrote: "I loved The Remains of the Day, hope you enjoy it.

I have decided on a second choice for the challenge, it's Moon Tiger by Penelope Lively Moon Tiger by Penelope Lively. It won the Booker in 1987..."

I read it in Modern British classics Em and really enjoyed it, good reading!

message 47: by Sue (new)

Sue | 1340 comments Finished The Book of Chameleons which won the Independent foreign fiction prize 2007. One of the reviewers wrote that it made a lot more sense if you read the interview with the author. I hadn't and don't quite know what it was all about except the narrator was a chameleon who was a man reincarnited and recounts the story of and communicates with a man who provides a genealogical service for people who want a more interesting past. Still it got me Angola!

message 48: by Gemma (new)

Gemma Birt | 65 comments I chose Amsterdam as my second for the month... Odd.

message 49: by Kiwi Sarah (new)

Kiwi Sarah (mjs13) | 166 comments 8% in and really getting into Wolf Hall now - it's good isn't it!

message 50: by Susan (new)

Susan It certainly is Sarah.....I think it and Bring Up the Bodies are both brilliant....

« previous 1 3