Ravelry Knitters discussion

New Person

Comments Showing 1-50 of 203 (203 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 3 comments My new favorite way to get through books is to pick up the book on cd; I still really like to read before bedtime, but I love to listen and knit when I'm waiting for my kids at their events. I feel sooo productive when I've gotten through a few chapters on cd and gotten to get some stitches on the knitting!!!

message 2: by Thea (new)

Thea (theamidight) | 3 comments Well I am new too! I have never had so much fun than being on Ravelry and I thought a book group of Ravelers would be terrific. I've been so enthralled with knitting I have decreased my reading time. I thought it was time to use my brain again!

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi, I'm CharlotteB on ravelry and I have to say I often feel a bit overwhelmed to the website its huge and there's soo much on there. Random question here, I've heard of people being able to knit and read at the same time is there anyone out that can, or is it an urban myth?

message 4: by Rose (new)

Rose (madamepurl) | 1 comments Hi! I'm madamepurl on Ravelry. I love to knit and spin. I found audio books to keep me entertained through football season once and haven't looked back. I do still love the feel of the book though for bedtime.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 153 comments I've heard of people who knit and listen to audio books - but never ones who knit and read at once! Love to see that.

message 6: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1 comments Hi I'm DianeFereig on ravelry.
My friend got a book holder (like a cook book holder), so her book sits upright. She sits at the table and reads her textbooks, while knitting!
She said she can't doing anything that requires concentration, but can do just mindless knit & purl.
Haven't tried it myself, but I frequently knit & walk, when I leave the subway and walk to work and need to finish a row!

message 7: by Sara Hadley (new)

Sara Hadley (hadleygetscrafty) | 1 comments I knit and read all the time! I'm no rock star, though. I only do it when I have miles of stockinette stitch. My partner in crime is a very slim six foot seven, and like all men (it seems) he likes very plan sweaters. I've learned to read and knit simultaneously so I can knit him warm woolies without losing my mind! Usually I put the book in my lap and keep the needles around chest height. It works until the cat decides she wants to sit on the book.

I'm Hadleygetscrafty on Ravelry. So nice to meet y'all.

message 8: by Pooch (new)

Pooch | 11 comments Hi! Yes, I read and knit pretty much all of the time. I rarely knit without something else happening simultaneously. I use a book holder. If I don't have one handy, I just prop the book against whatever is available. I can feel the stitches for changes in pattern.
Happy knitting and reading! :)

message 9: by Asia (new)

Asia (cuttlefish) | 5 comments Charlotte wrote: "Hi, I'm CharlotteB on ravelry and I have to say I often feel a bit overwhelmed to the website its huge and there's soo much on there. Random question here, I've heard of people being able to knit ..."

I've only been knitting since January, but I already knit while doing a variety of other things. Namely, watching TV/movies, doing basic internetting, reading and sometimes during small periods of idleness while playing a videogame.

message 10: by Pooch (new)

Pooch | 11 comments Asia,
You have rapidly developed into a "hard-core" knitter! Welcome to the knitting family! :)

message 11: by Asia (new)

Asia (cuttlefish) | 5 comments Pooch wrote: "Asia,
You have rapidly developed into a "hard-core" knitter! Welcome to the knitting family! :)"

Haha, thanks! Glad to be a part of it. :D

message 12: by JackieK (new)

JackieK Celia wrote: "Hello! My name is Celia. I am sapphireblue on Ravelry. I have been knitting for about two years. I am really trying my best to read more. I found this site a few days ago, and it's great so fa..."

I'm brand new here...I'm JackieCastsOn on Ravelry. Knitting has actually cut into my reading time but I still read a bit every day. I can't remember a day that I didn't read at least a few pages of a book.

message 13: by JackieK (new)

JackieK Diane wrote: "Hi I'm DianeFereig on ravelry.
My friend got a book holder (like a cook book holder), so her book sits upright. She sits at the table and reads her textbooks, while knitting!
She said she can't do..."

I get so lost in my books when reading that I just can't understand the knitting and reading at the same time thing! I would LOVE to figure it out. I could get more knitting done! :)

message 14: by Tammy (last edited Jun 18, 2009 01:58PM) (new)

Tammy Not a rock star either, by any means. I seem to have found a method of multi-tasking at work. I sit at my desk, book flat open sometimes new book held down with my stapler and knit away. Currently working on a topdown all one piece raglan for a nephew and reading Laurie Perry 'Crazy Aunt Purl...' I borrow lots of books from the library, but I find large print works best. I am in my seat, waving at customers rolling past my window, answering the phone when potential customers call to ask questions or check prices and can lay everything aside when someone walks in the door!

I have to admit, I can't multi-task anywhere else in my life. I read the chapter where Laurie Perry says in this book that she gets so distracted when cooking that she forgets that there is such a mystical place where nurishment is created as soon as she walks out of the room and that dinner is on the stove until the smoke alarm goes off. Yep, that would be me.

ETA: my name on ravelry is wearingpurple.

message 15: by Laura (new)

Laura (darcybear) | 3 comments Hello all!

I just discovered this glorious place and am happy to find that we knitters have already infiltrated...(not-quite evil laughter). I'm darcybear on Ravelry; Laura in real life.

message 16: by Jenna (last edited Jul 13, 2009 07:16PM) (new)

Jenna (backwoodsbabble) | 1 comments Charlotte wrote: "Hi, I'm CharlotteB on ravelry and I have to say I often feel a bit overwhelmed to the website its huge and there's soo much on there. Random question here, I've heard of people being able to knit ..."

I have a friend who does it. She says it is what is getting her through grad school..

I admit to trying, but definitely not succeeding. I am so new to knitting that I have to concentrate too much to be able to multi-task like that.

I hear that it's easier with a Kindle. Apparently, one of the larger issues is keeping the pages from turning on their own with a real book. oooh I so swoon for a Kindle of my own...

Oh, and I'm backwoodsknitter on Ravelry.. =)

message 17: by Laura (new)

Laura (darcybear) | 3 comments I knit and read at the same time often. It's just a matter of balance...keeping your knitting secure as you turn pages, and wedging your book so it doesn't snap shut when you let go. And it is so worth it...

message 18: by WifeMomKnitter (last edited Jan 25, 2010 06:31AM) (new)

WifeMomKnitter Hello! I'm WifeMomKnitter on Ravelry, but Jen in real life. I've been knitting since I was eight years old and learned how to crochet about a year and a half ago. It's so great that there are knitter on here too! You can find my blog at http://www.accountantgrrl.wordpress.com.

message 19: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (lynnkatinka) Hi! I'm katinkaknits on Ravelry (real name: Lynn) I've been knitting non-stop for the last 8 years, but learned some basics when I was little. I love to read and/or to listen to certain books as audio, while I'm knitting. It's good to find this site and all of you familiar people!

message 20: by Afton (new)

Afton | 3 comments Greetings and Salutations. I'm Afton on Ravelry, Afton here and Afton in real life. (Once you have a unique name use it for all it's worth, in my opinion.) I came by the way of the side door. I found the kindle group on Ravelry and then heard about goodreads. I think that possibly, just possibly, I'm in a little over my head here. It's overwhelming learning a new social networking site.

message 21: by Krysta (new)

Krysta | 1 comments Hello, I'm kschu414 on Ravelry. I've been knitting for almost a year. I too have found it hard to keep a balance between knitting and reading.

message 22: by Regina (new)

Regina (gamermom) Hi! I am Regina, also known as 'Gamermom' on Ravelry. I have to say that knitting and reading are two of my top 3 things to do. The third, of course, is gaming. I am a member of many groups on Ravelry (mostly gaming related), but since I hail from Rhinebeck, NY, I have the good fortune of having the NYS Sheep and Wool Festival in my back yard (literally)! I am a member of a small but fun-loving book club and our current title is "The Final Confessions of Mabel Stark". I will read anything, really, but I have to say that Westerns are probably last on my list, followed closely by Mystery series. So nice to know there is a group on this site for fellow knitters (and yes, I can knit and read at the same time...lol)

message 23: by Darla (new)

Darla | 1 comments Hello and glad to meet all. My name is Darla and "dacg"on Ravelry.
I love knitting & reading but have been listening
on tapes & cd's klately cause I knit alot!!!

I have a Blog which I am trying to keep up too.It will take me awile to list my books here but I will do it.

message 24: by Regina (new)

Regina (gamermom) Asia wrote: "Charlotte wrote: "Hi, I'm CharlotteB on ravelry and I have to say I often feel a bit overwhelmed to the website its huge and there's soo much on there. Random question here, I've heard of people b..."
Another knitting, reading, gamer??? I am Gamermom on Ravelry. Are you in any of the gaming groups?

message 25: by Cindy (new)

Cindy C (studioloo) Hello!
Im new here as well. I'm Cindy - or 'studioloo' on Ravelry. Nice to see you all here. :)

message 26: by Alethea (new)

Alethea A (frootjoos) | 4 comments Hello! I've been on this group a while but I haven't been reading it much. I'm frootjoos on Ravelry, as well as practically everywhere else online... Alethea otherwise. Nice to meet you all.

my blog-> http://www.readnowsleeplater.com

I have a knitting blog too, but I closed it temporarily: I injured my thumb last year so have not been knitting much, but it will be better soon I hope.

message 27: by Jackie (last edited Jan 25, 2010 04:51AM) (new)

Jackie (rebeldaisy) | 1 comments Hi. I am new too this group and pretty new to goodreads as well. I've been on ravelry for a long time though. I'm rebeldaisy on ravelry and a lot of other places too. I blog over at daisy crafts.

message 28: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Hi there! I'm new to goodreads and this group! I've been knitting since I was 7, and spin and weave too. I'm ElizArtist on Ravelry. I knit everywhere I can get away with it. Especially at the movies, which is a great for making progress on socks! My blog is http://elizabethland-elizabeth.blogsp...

message 29: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie Hi, I'm new here too; this is my Ravelry account. I actually crochet more than I knit, but I haven't been doing much of either lately (thanks for that, school). :(

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi! I'm new to ravelry, knitting, and this group! I have been on goodreads for a while and love horses, knitting, reading, and roleplaying (usually horse related though). You can find me as bumblebee21 on ravelry.

message 31: by Aimee (new)

Aimee   | 1 comments Hi, I am lifeknitted on Ravelry. New to knitting. Currently working on my first pair of socks! Love reading so excited to be part of this group!

message 32: by Katie (new)

Katie (pocketofgreen) Charlotte wrote: "Hi, I'm CharlotteB on ravelry and I have to say I often feel a bit overwhelmed to the website its huge and there's soo much on there. Random question here, I've heard of people being able to knit ..."

I was able to, I have to have the book leaning back on something so that I'm able to look over my knitting at the book.

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Charlotte wrote: "Hi, I'm CharlotteB on ravelry and I have to say I often feel a bit overwhelmed to the website its huge and there's soo much on there. Random question here, I've heard of people being able to knit ..."

I can knit and read - usually at least! I usually knit and listen to music with harder patterns so I can see what I'm doing.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 153 comments I usually knit to TV sports that I'm not obsessed with every second of (so no knitting during Olympic figure skating, LOL). Got a lot done during the recent Superbowl and college football bowl season, and expect the NCAA basketball tourney to be fertile knitting territory as well. I've yet to knit and read, though.

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Cool!

message 36: by Brooke (new)

Brooke (brookiesweetie) Hello! I'm Brooke or Brookiesweetie on Ravelry. I'm still rather new here on Goodreads but I've been on Ravelry for over a year.

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Brooke!

message 38: by Brooke (new)

Brooke (brookiesweetie) Horsehgirl (Elizabeth) wrote: "Hi Brooke!"

Hi! Nice to meet you Elizabeth! :)

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Nice to meet you too!

message 40: by Wylie Kay (new)

Wylie Kay (wklilly) Hi I am Wylie K. I have been knitting for about 3 years. I live in Royal Oak, Michigan. I am wklilly on Ravelry. This is great! I will be sure to add you all to my friends lists to keep up with your projects. Happy knititng! :)

message 41: by Kim (new)

Kim (kymi) | 3 comments So where do all of you who listen to audio books while knitting get the cds? Do you check them out from the library or some other source. After reading about what ya'll are doing, I want to do it to. I've only knitted while watching tv or listening to music, but I love the idea of combining two of my fav activities.

message 42: by Carol (last edited Apr 07, 2010 07:07AM) (new)

Carol | 33 comments I'm new, too! I love to read, but as I became so interested with knitting, I stopped reading almost completely! I don't think I can knit and read. I knit to music,NPR, or sports. I'd love to try audio books.
Our library has a collection of audio books, and I've heard good things about Audible.com.
Is that a good site?
I'm witnwool on Ravelry, and I'd love to have more friends!

message 43: by Lisa R. (new)

Lisa R. | 24 comments Hi Carol,
In addition to checking audio books out of the library, I also download them to my ipod from the library's website. As long as the pattern isn't too complicated, you should have no problem knitting at the same time. I am begnrknitter on Ravelry and I accept random friends :)
Lisa

message 44: by Ginger (last edited Apr 08, 2010 02:52PM) (new)

Ginger (afreespirit) | 14 comments Hi, I'm new here too. I've been on Ravelry for for a couple of years (ginrose) but I mostly look up stuff and lurk. Between gardening, knitting, and reading there's not much time left to spend much on the computer. I usually knit while listening to music or watching TV then read in bed for an hour or two (or sometimes three or four if the book is really good) before going to sleep. I have listened to audio books while knitting, but my nearest library is extremely small and the selection is limited. I'd love more friends too!
Gin

message 45: by Tanya (new)

Tanya | 3 comments Hi, really interested in the questions about audio books. I wondered where to get them from too. Am pretty sure my library charges?? What seems to be the general price when you download from internet? I'm tanie on ravelry and slowly building up my project list. I spend hours looking at what everyone else has made. There never seems to be enough hours!! I'd love more friends too...

message 46: by Brooke (new)

Brooke (brookiesweetie) Tanya wrote: "Hi, really interested in the questions about audio books. I wondered where to get them from too. Am pretty sure my library charges?? What seems to be the general price when you download from intern..."

I used to get mine from Audible.com. Usually you can get the first 3 months or so at a cheaper rate and then it goes to about $15 or one credit a month with the Gold plan. There is another plan for 2 credits per month, but most books are one credit. They have a really good selection and I like that you can preview selections to see if you like the reader. Also, if you decide to buy one credit a month, you can put it towards any book you want (for example, if you are buying more than one book, you can put the credit toward the most expensive one). And other books you buy not using your credit are discounted.

BTW, I'm brookiesweetie on Ravelry. I'll add you!

message 47: by Lisa R. (new)

Lisa R. | 24 comments Hi Tayna,
If your library subscribes to the Overdrive system, you should be able to download audio books for free from them as long as you have a valid library card. If your library doesn't subscribe to the Overdrive system, you might be able to join another library and pay a small out of area fee. I also check audio books out of the library on CD and listen in the car. Hopes this helps.
Lisa
begnrknitter on Ravelry :)

message 48: by Ginger (last edited Apr 11, 2010 09:18AM) (new)

Ginger (afreespirit) | 14 comments Lisa R. wrote: "... you should be able to download audio books for free from them as long as you have a valid library card. ..."

OK, now supposing my library subscribes to the Overdrive system, how do you listen to the downloaded book?I thought I could only upload data to my iPod from my home computer. That's the way it works for music anyway.

message 49: by Pooch (new)

Pooch | 11 comments Lisa,

Thanks SO MUCH for the heads-up on the Overdrive system! I googled it, read about it, and found that a nearby library offers it. This is the first I've heard of it. Many thanks!
Pooch
:)

message 50: by Lisa R. (new)

Lisa R. | 24 comments What I do is: download the book onto the overdrive software loaded on my computer, then I transfer it to my ipod. I also have a seperate docking station with speakers for my ipod so that if I don't feel like having the earbuds in, I can listen while I do things around the house without fear of dropping the ipod. When you sync the ipod, the books magically appear in your ituns library. Hope this helps.

« previous 1 3 4 5