Movies We've Just Watched discussion

Grindhouse: Double Feature

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nlojeda) | 42 comments Rented these movies on DTV the last night and Wow. The two movies Planet Terror and Death Proof were both filmed to look like an old movie from back in time, complete with shaky filming and croppy editing. The movies were GORY. Death Proof felt a little slow at times, but the ending was satisfying. Planet Terror has some real gross out moments where I actually wanted to cover my eyes (rare for this horror film buff). I enjoyed the movies and am glad that I didn't see them in the theater due to the length of the two films. Much more comfy at home where you can press pause and get a second helping of two day old Indian food and a cup of hot cocoa.

message 2: by Beth (new)

Beth I loved these movies, too. I loved the fake trailers: "Machete" and "Werewolf Women of the S.S.", especially. Danny Trejo and Freddy Rodriguez are criminally underused, loved seeing them. Yeah, Death Proof kind of dragged, but love that evil Kurt Russell! And Zoe Bell was fabulous! I didn't really know much about her until this movie, but she is an amazing stuntwoman and an all-around gorgeous, kickass chick. Tarantino references so many things in his movies, I'm sure I missed a lot, but I found both films very entertaining and good campy fun.

message 3: by Charissa (new)

Charissa (dakinigrl) More Tarantino brilliance! I have to say that I enjoy his style more than I do Rodriguez... but together this was an impressive combination. I have a special place in my heart for girls who kick ass, though, so I really appreciated the Tarantino. The music rocks!

message 4: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (dwell_ondreams) Planet Terror almost grossed me out & it takes A LOT to gross me out. I really enjoyed that one. I enjoyed the last 30 minutes or so of Death Proof. It really wasn't interesting until Kurt Russell picks the wrong women to terrorize. The ending was perfect.

message 5: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 99 comments I saw Grindhouse in the theater and was really glad I chose to see it that way the first time. The trailers were great, and all of the nuances of the early grindhouse films were there on the big screen for me to see. How could you not love the "lost reel" info coming up?

I thought Planet Terror was a lot better than Death Proof, although looking back I remember a lot more about DP. That is probably because I had a lot more complaints about it and I am a hater.