Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (The Wicked Years, #1) Wicked discussion

hellooo

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Komal (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:32AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Komal its slow and descriptive in some parts (i hate descriptive books) but most of it was good and easy to read. it was a good story, i've never seen wizard of oz but it makes me want to see now.

message 2: by Lynn (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:12PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lynn I enjoyed this book. I actually listened to it on CD and the narration was great. A little slow at times, but for the most part it kept my attention.

Michelle Hi Komal, I can't believe you haven't seen the wizard of Oz. Why?

Janepage I liked it! I view the play and the book as two seperate takes on the background on Wicked Witch of the West. Yes, it was very descriptive, but it just made it that much better!

message 5: by Susan (new)

Susan The Broadway Musical Wicked was so very much better then the book. However, if I had read the book before seeing the play I might have a different view. The book just doesn't compare to the play.

logan I've read a lot of Baum's originals, seen the movie, read Wicked, and have seen the play. I think they are all amazing in their own way. And yes I'm very bias to the whole land of OZ.

I like to think that the original books and the movie are like retellings of the actual story. Some facts get twisted and simplified, but it's still the basic story. The books and movie are like childhood bedtime stories passed down from generation to generation. The book Wicked is like the literal gospel of what really happened.

The play is great as well, and has an awesome alternative ending, But I'll take the books ending any day.

Marie I read the book then went and saw the play....
I was disappointed in the plays ending... Made we wish I saw the play first. But I still enjoyed both!

LemonLinda The Boy from Oz had nothing to do with the Wizard of Oz.

I did not really enjoy this book. It was a little too wierd for me on several levels, BUT I absolutely LOVED, LOVED, LOVED the Broadway musical. I enjoy musicals and have seen many, but this is one of my top five.

Jessica Lynn I saw the play on a field trip in 6th grade and absolutely loved it. Afterwards i couldn't wait to read the book. When i did i really liked it. I loved the idea of seeing what went on behind the bias of Dorothy and the reat of the gang and seeing how it was for Elphaba. I probably wouldn't have liked the play as much had i seen it after but to me botht the play and book were great.

Jennifer Susan wrote: "The Broadway Musical Wicked was so very much better then the book. However, if I had read the book before seeing the play I might have a different view. The book just doesn't compare to the play."

Hi Susan,

I read the book before seeing the play and let me tell you that the play would have been much more exciting and rewarding if you read the book first.

message 11: by Alex (new) - rated it 3 stars

Alex Brady The book was very slow in the begining but it sped up and became more interesting towards the end.

message 12: by Liv (new) - rated it 2 stars

Liv Flyingsushi wrote: "The book was very slow in the begining but it sped up and became more interesting towards the end."

So do you think I should give it another try. After seeing the Play last summer I went and got the book (i hate musicals but my family all went) and I thought the story was great. But I just couldnt get into the book, it is so descriptive and Elphaba is just so Dark and Evil it makes it hard to sympathize with her. The Elphaba in the play was so easy to love. I still have the book sitting in the top drawer of my desk, should I pick it up again?

message 13: by Zach (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zach Irvin I've seen the play and read the book and I have to say I think the book is much better than the play. It seems like there were a lot of people that felt the opposite, but I just feel that the book is much more meaningful. The author seemed to be exploring the concept of evil, a serious philosophical argument, while the play became more 'feel good' and depends more on the relationship between Elphaba and Glenda. this was obviously appealing to many people, but I thought the book was much more compelling. Personal taste I suppose.

Jennifer Liv wrote: "Flyingsushi wrote: "The book was very slow in the begining but it sped up and became more interesting towards the end."

So do you think I should give it another try. After seeing the Play last s..."

Liv,

You should most definitely go back to the book. Just the fact that you said Elphaba is dark and evil tells me that you did not read enough of the book to give it a chance. Remember, that the play was based on the book. Everything that you saw in the play happens in the book and more. Like I said, I read the book and saw the play myself, and if you don't finish the book then you will never fully understand the play because so much detail was left out to get Elphaba to that point. Good luck!

Jennifer Zach wrote: "I've seen the play and read the book and I have to say I think the book is much better than the play. It seems like there were a lot of people that felt the opposite, but I just feel that the book ..."

Zach,

I couldn't agree with you more. Those that saw the play should read the book to gain a true understanding of the relationships between the characters.

Marie I agree Zach the book was better then the play. If only I saw the play first, I might not have been disappointed.

Suzanne Dulaney The book was beyond awesome! The Wizard of Oz has always been, imho, the BEST movie ever. To see the story from another perspective was truly an adventure that brought even more life to the story of Oz.

message 18: by Liv (new) - rated it 2 stars

Liv Jennifer wrote:Liv,

You should most definitely go back to the book. Just the fact that you said Elphaba is dark and evil tells me that you did not read enough of the book to give it a chance. Remember, that the play was based on the book. Everything that you saw in the play happens in the book and more. Like I said, I read the book and saw the play myself, and if you don't finish the book then you will never fully understand the play because so much detail was left out to get Elphaba to that point. Good luck!>

I have a pretty long list of books right now but I do own it so I will add it to my list and give it another try. Thanks

Stacey Head Loved the book. You really should read it to its conclusion

Bethany I didn't love the book when I read it a couple years ago, but I've heard the musical is fantastic and I can't wait to see it this September in Pittsburgh!!!