Urban Fantasy discussion

BOOK RECOMMENDATIONS > Looking for Recommendations: Can You Recommend These Authors?

Comments (showing 1-34 of 34) (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer (last edited Apr 13, 2009 12:30PM) (new)

Jennifer Wadsworth (jeniferj) Hi all!

I have a number of books on my shelf from authors that are new to me. I've looked around in my goodread groups and Amazon, etc. at reviews. But I'm still not getting a good sense of whether the books are "good" or not. Anyone read these books, or know these authors, and be willing to give me some feedback? Are any of them YA? UF vs. PNR? Thanks!

Aguirre, Ann, Blue Diablo(Corine Solomon, Book 1)
Ashwood, Sharon, Ravenous The Dark Forgotten (Paperback)
Barant, DD, Dying Bites: The Bloodhound Files (Mass Market Paperback)
Benedict, Lyn, Sins & Shadows (Paperback)
Day, S.J.*, Eve of Darkness (Marked, Book 1)
Hanover, M.L.N., Unclean Spirits: Book One of the Black Sun's Daughter (Paperback)
Hunter, Faith, Skinwalker: A Jane Yellowrock Novel (Paperback)
Levitt, John, Dog Days (Ace Fantasy Book)
Lima, Maria Y., Matters of the Blood (Paperback)
Maclaine, Jenna*, The Wages of Sin (Cin Craven, #1)
Neill, Chloe*, Some Girls Bite: A Chicagoland Vampires Novel (Paperback)
Wells, Jaye, Red-Headed Stepchild (Sabina Kane, Book 1)

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I have read
Ashwood, Sharon, Ravenous The Dark Forgotten (Paperback)

and personally I loved it and looking forward to the next book in the series.

message 3: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (jacabur1) Have read "Ravenous-The Dark Forgotten" by Sharon Ashwood and "The Wages of Sin" by Jenna Maclaine and "Dog Days" by John Levitt. Recommend all as enjoyed all three, but then again I read almost anything in the paranormal genre these days...
I have Maria Lima, Faith Hunter and S J Day on the to be bought list that I have started and since have read the Rogue Mage series of Faith Hunter if you have Jane Yellowrock you will like that one....

message 4: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Holzner (NancyHolzner) I thought John Levitt's Dog Days was a fun book. Good characters, an interesting magical system, and I liked the way Mason's job as a guitar player links to his use of magic. Louie the Ifrit makes a great sidekick, too.

Nancy Holzner

message 5: by Theresa (new)

Theresa  (TSorrels) I have read Ann Aguirre's other series: (Grimspace and Wanderlust). I loved them! Aguirre writes an awesome story... I haven't received my copy of Blue Diablo yet, but imagine it will be just as awesome as her Jax series.

Highly recommended!

message 6: by Anton (new)

Anton | 21 comments I like Jaye Wells, John Levitt and Ann Aguirre. Please note that my answer is impartial despite the fact that Jaye and I both blog together as part of The League of Reluctant Adults. I'm looking to read Faith Hunter next, but haven't had a chance yet...
'
Jennifer wrote: "Hi all!

I have a number of books on my shelf from authors that are new to me. I've looked around in my goodread groups and Amazon, etc. at reviews. But I'm still not getting a good sense of wh..."

message 7: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Wadsworth (jeniferj) Thanks, Anton! BTW, your books are on my TBR pile, too. But I knew who you were and had planned to read them, so I didn't have to ask about them! :)

message 8: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Wadsworth (jeniferj) Thanks everyone who's answered (and those who will). I think it's safe to say SOMEONE likes each of these books (the ones that are out, anyway). :) I'll check them all out.

message 9: by Anton (new)

Anton | 21 comments Well, that's all kinds of awesome to hear!

Jennifer wrote: "Thanks, Anton! BTW, your books are on my TBR pile, too. But I knew who you were and had planned to read them, so I didn't have to ask about them! :)"

message 10: by Mark (new)

Mark | 1 comments Jaye's book is awesome. Like Anton, I'm biased, but I love a dark book that's peppered with humor and that's what you get with Red-Headed. I'll be following this thread to see what people think of Blue Diablo and the Chloe Neil book.

message 11: by Jennifer (last edited Apr 19, 2009 07:41AM) (new)

Jennifer Wadsworth (jeniferj) Mark wrote: " I'll be following this thread to see what people think of Blue Diablo and the Chloe Neil book."

Thanks, Mark! I'm gonna start the Chloe Neill book next, so I'll be sure to post a review.

BTW, I see your next book is out, or soon to be out. Yeah! I read "Happy Hour..."

message 12: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Wadsworth (jeniferj) Okay, finished the Chloe Neill book, Some Girls Bite. Wrote a review, too. It's a pretty good book. I'm looking forward to more! Definitely worth reading.

message 13: by Colin (new)

Colin Coleman | 6 comments It sounds terrible, but for some reason I can't get into female main characters. And trust me, I've tried! The one series I've tried to like most is by Kim Harrison. I mean, titles styled after Clint Eastwood movies? Whats not to like? Well, for me, anything after the titles. But give me Dresden, or Canderous, even Mason, and I'm a happy man. But the one I've liked most, recently, is Black Magic Woman, by Justin Gustainis. Great storyline that kept me interested.

message 14: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Wadsworth (jeniferj) Colin wrote: "It sounds terrible, but for some reason I can't get into female main characters. And trust me, I've tried! The one series I've tried to like most is by Kim Harrison. I mean, titles styled after Cli..."

Hey Colin. I can sympathize, actually. I have trouble getting into male characters, sometimes, let alone male authors. Probably a point of view thing. Dresden is one of the few males I DO really like. I read and liked Gustainis, but acknowledge it's a different type of book than I usually like. Try J.F. Lewis if you haven't already. Definitely a guy's guy type of book.

message 15: by Colin (new)

Colin Coleman | 6 comments Oh! I almost forgot the books that actually got me into UF. The infamous John Taylor, from the Nightside novels. Taylor is a study in paranormal badassery. 1940's style trenchcoat? Check. Great catchphrases? Check. Sweet supernatural powers? Check. Mother that wants to kill you, and just so happens to be a biblical legend? AND check. Those are by Simon R Green btw. Have you ever heard of Charlie Huston? He writes a vampire series set in NYC, called the Joe Pitt casebooks. Very gritty, real, and angry. Plus Huston has a real knack for titles.

message 16: by Anton (new)

Anton | 21 comments Colin wrote: "It sounds terrible, but for some reason I can't get into female main characters. And trust me, I've tried! The one series I've tried to like most is by Kim Harrison. I mean, titles styled after Cli..."

You, sir, possess a singular genius and awesome taste.

message 17: by Schnaucl (new)

Schnaucl | 30 comments I haven't read Skinwalker, but I've really enjoyed Faith Hunter's Rouge Mage series. She's actually a mystery writer, too, Gwen something, it might be Gwen Hunter.

message 18: by Schnaucl (new)

Schnaucl | 30 comments Colin wrote: "It sounds terrible, but for some reason I can't get into female main characters. And trust me, I've tried! The one series I've tried to like most is by Kim Harrison. I mean, titles styled after Cli..."

I really liked Black Magic Woman. Characters that are actually mature! Go figure! I was less impressed with the sequel, I'm afraid. It seemed a lot more sex obsessed and one of the things I liked about BMW was that the characters weren't obsessed with sex all the time. The sequel also has a brief cross over with the Dresden Files. I'm still not entirely sure how I feel about that. (I love the Dresden Files)

If you like Dresden Files, the Nightside, and/or Gustainis and you're looking for an urban fantasy book written by a woman with a female protagonist I'd highly recommend Kat Richardson's Greywalker series. I happen to like Harrison's series and others written by women, but I can certainly understand why it would be off putting (there's a lot of focus on fashion that I don't care about, for example).

Richardson's books have much more of a noir feel to them, what little romance there is is very subtle and most definitely not a major focus (at times I'd say Harper is almost asexual). And best of all, Harper's mature. It's not about looking sexy while kicking ass and her personal life is not as important as whatever mystery she's trying to solve. I'd definitely put her more in the camp of Butcher, Green, or Gustainis. If you give her a try I'd be interested in knowing what you think. The first novel is Greywalker and I believe there are 3 others with a fourth on the way.

She also has a short story with Harper as the main character in Mean Streets, which has stories from Butcher's Dresden Files, Green's Nightside, and one other I can't recall (and didn't like as much). If you don't want to commit to a whole novel you might start there. Besides, as I'm sure you've figured out you miss a lot of stuff in Dresden if you don't track down his short stories. (In fact, there's a pretty major thing from Small Favor that isn't followed up on in Turn Coat the way it should be but is covered in the short story in Mean Streets).

message 19: by Colin (new)

Colin Coleman | 6 comments That novel, Greywalker, sounds like my speed. And I do love that gritty feel to a novel. Charlie Huston is the craziest new writer I've read lately. He's brutal. What can I say? I'm an American. I like violence, sex, rock n' roll, and adult language. Oh, and anyone with a sense of humor should check out Beat the Reaper by Josh Bazell. That's the kind of novel that makes you laugh, then feel guilty about what you just laughed about. Not urban fantasy, but great nonetheless.

message 20: by Colin (new)

Colin Coleman | 6 comments Colin wrote: "It sounds terrible, but for some reason I can't get into female main characters. And trust me, I've tried! The one series I've tried to like most is by Kim Harrison. I mean, titles styled after Cli..." Thanks for the rec Jennifer, but I'm not big into vampire novels. I think it's because I read Interviews With a Vampire when I was younger, and I was kinda " meh " about the whole concept. Unfortunately, I have a serious love of Urban Fantasy, and finding a non vampire oriented, male centric novel is brutal. I'm definitely open to suggestions though!

message 21: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Wadsworth (jeniferj) Colin wrote: "Thanks for the rec Jennifer, but I'm not big into vampire novels. I think it's because I read Interviews With a Vampire when I was younger, and I was kinda " meh " about the whole concept. Unfortunately, I have a serious love of Urban Fantasy, and finding a non vampire oriented, male centric novel is brutal.

Yep, that's a challenge. There are some out there, but it does limit your options. :)

message 22: by Schnaucl (new)

Schnaucl | 30 comments Colin wrote: Thanks for the rec Jennifer, but I'm not big into vampire novels. I think it's because I read Interviews With a Vampire when I was younger, and I was kinda " meh " about the whole concept."

But Butcher's done some interesting things with vampires, don't you think? It seems like most urban fantasy focuses on either vampires or werewolves, but I think it's less of an issue with male authors, for some reason. I don't love vampires but will generally take them over werewolves. The whole submissive group mentality thing creeps me out.

message 23: by new_user (new)

new_user LOL. It never really bothered me as much, I guess because I can see some parallels in real life. There are definitely sheep. LOL.

message 24: by Colin (new)

Colin Coleman | 6 comments Jennifer wrote: "Colin wrote: "Thanks for the rec Jennifer, but I'm not big into vampire novels. I think it's because I read Interviews With a Vampire when I was younger, and I was kinda " meh " about the whole con..."
Yeah man he did, and I really like how much thought he put into the three vampire courts, but a mental ride along with a vampire? That pushes my "meh" button. That's why I've been putting off Already Dead. And the vampires in The Dresden Files aren't really main charachters. Thomas Raith comes and goes, and he's a main-ish character! They usually make an appearance or even take a role, but it isn't about them, normally.

message 25: by Mistress ~ ♠ Mistral's Kiss ♠ ~ (last edited Apr 30, 2009 12:02PM) (new)

Mistress   ~ ♠ Mistral's Kiss ♠ ~ (Mist) (Mistress) | 7 comments Hi Jennifer I just finished Red-headed Step the other day. Not Amazing, but much better than average UF debut.

The Good: Fun heroine, fast pace, great action,

The Bad: She's naive (illogical since she's heap big vampire assassin) and a few rushed bits

I second Kat Richardson Grey Walker. If you're looking for Amazing she and Ilona Andrews, are the way to go. I just started Some Girl's bite so I'll get back to you on that. And a lot of my fellow Book Bloggers are loving Blue Diablo. The gist I've picked up is that it's thoughtful & well written, but slow build up pace wise. Hope that helps.

P.S. To my knowledge, none of the titles you listed are YA = )

Colin wrote: "It sounds terrible, but for some reason I can't get into female main characters. And trust me, I've tried! The one series I've tried to like most is by Kim Harrison.

No judgments there I'm the reverse. I lose interest in male POV and series by male authors at light speed, oddly only in this genre. So far the few exceptions being Rob Thurman's Cal Leandros series and Simon R. Greene. They just seem to read more pulp noir with paranormal elements, than the action/horror tinged feel I crave from UF.But I'm working to get beyond the prejudice.

message 26: by Schnaucl (new)

Schnaucl | 30 comments I lose interest in male POV and series by male authors at light speed, oddly only in this genre. So far the few exceptions being Rob Thurman's Cal Leandros series and Simon R. Greene.

Rob might explained by the fact that Rob Thurman is a woman.

Mistress   ~ ♠ Mistral's Kiss ♠ ~ (Mist) (Mistress) | 7 comments I agree Schnaucl, I found that out the hard way on the B&N Paranormal book club a while back. And there I was feeling all proud and inclusive, lol. It's pretty odd that I like the night side books so much also, since they're Pulp noir personified, but for whatever reason I don't mind with S.R.G.

message 28: by Karin (last edited Mar 12, 2013 03:56PM) (new)

Karin Outen | 3 comments I have just finished Faith Hunter's Skinwalker series. Excellent! She is now on my automatic to buy list. Haven't yet read the other authors you've mentioned, but are putting them on my "authors to try" list. Some other favorites I recommend are: Ilona Andrews, Patricia Briggs, Kim Harrison, Jeaniene Frost, Keri Arthur, JR Rain, and Mark Henwick.

message 29: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Morris | 10 comments HUZZAH! Part 1 is now the #1 historical fantasy on Amazon in the Kindle Store!

Come Hell or High Water Wellspring (Come Hell or High Water, #1) by Stephen Morris

message 30: by Lila (last edited May 25, 2013 01:48PM) (new)

Lila (Jalilah) Jennifer wrote: "Hi all!
I have a number of books on my shelf from authors that are new to me. I've looked around in my goodread groups and Amazon, etc. at reviews. But I'm still not getting a good sense of whet..."

I have not read the others but Faith Hunter's Skinwalker series is excellent. It along with Mercy Thomson are my favourite Urban Fantasy series of this type ( my real favourites are De Lint, Emma Bull, Terri Windling and Kiriki Hoffman but for me are in a category of their own.)

message 31: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (MsThestral) I've read Skinwalker and enjoyed it immensely - original take on the shifter concept.

Also read the first three books in Chloe Neill's Chicagoland Vampires. It is pretty good although book one has a lot of world building.

I've heard of some of the others but haven't read them yet.

message 32: by Alice (new)

Alice (TheGoodQueen) | 95 comments I follow Chloe Neill's Chicagoland Vampires..good stuff.

message 33: by Jen (new)

Jen (tullisjen) | 2 comments Hanover is really good. I've read all of DD Barant's books, excellent series. I'm in the middle of the Yellowrock series, so far so good.

message 34: by Jen (new)

Jen (tullisjen) | 2 comments Also, Chloe Neill 's series is well written.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Matters Of The Blood (other topics)
Some Girls Bite (other topics)
Red-Headed Stepchild (other topics)
The Wages of Sin (other topics)
Dying Bites (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Chloe Neill (other topics)
J.F. Lewis (other topics)