The Rory Gilmore Book Club discussion

Nominations & Voting > February Nominations

Comments Showing 1-50 of 58 (58 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by whichwaydidshego?, the sage of sass (last edited Jan 20, 2008 12:44AM) (new)

whichwaydidshego? (whichwaydidshego) | 1996 comments Mod
Hey gang...

So this month a few changes are in effect.

First, as we did in October and December, this is a theme month... so your selections should involve love and/or romance.

Second, this is designated a "classic" month (as we are now alternating months for "classic" and "modern" selections). Your initial selection from the list, therefore, must be a classic, or it will not be considered for voting.

Third, we are nominating pairs of books... So the classic you've selected must have a counterpart. If you choose to pair it with a modern, then that is fine. Someone else might choose the same classic and pair it with another classic.

Example: Sampson might nominate Northanger Abbey and Atonement together, while Delilah might nominate Northanger Abbey and Emma.

Lastly, please only two pairs of nominations per person.

Nominations and voting will each have five days, so nominations will close on the night of the 24th at midnight PST, and voting will close on the night of the 29th at midnight PST.

Happy nominating!

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Does the companion book need to be on the list?

message 3: by whichwaydidshego?, the sage of sass (new)

whichwaydidshego? (whichwaydidshego) | 1996 comments Mod
If the companion book is on the list, that's great, but no it does not need to be. That hasn't changed.

message 4: by Sarah (last edited Jan 20, 2008 08:32PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) In that case I nominate the following:

Jane Eyre and The Eyre Affair. Although the second book isn't a romance, there is a love story involved. But I really, really want to introduce Fforde to the group because I think you guys will love it.

or

Jane Eyre and Sense and Sensibility to compare the writing of these two brilliant 19th century women authors. Any Austen would do, really, but S&S is my favorite. :)

Am I allowed to nominate Jane Eyre twice?

message 5: by Alison, the guru of grace (last edited Jan 20, 2008 08:55PM) (new)

Alison | 1282 comments Mod
I think so. They're two different pairings.

message 6: by Danielle (last edited Jan 21, 2008 10:27PM) (new)

Danielle | 9 comments My nominations: Emma and Anna Karenina. I don't think it's morally right to have a romance-themed classic month and not include Jane Austen.

message 7: by Courtney (new)

Courtney Stirrat | 201 comments 1. Anna Karenina and Ethan Frome. Kind of an odd pairing, but I think it will work well to illustrate different kinds of love and romance. Also much suffering!

2. Sense and Sensibility and Daisy Miller

message 8: by Sera (new)

Sera Here are my two:

1. Anna Karenina and Ethan Frome
Courtney, I paired these two up prior to reading your post so we must have seen something similar :) This first is super long, so if it's chosen, it might be better to match it up with a much shorter book, too.

2. Madame Bovary and Extravagance: A Novel. From the descriptions, these both capture the elusiveness of love.

message 9: by Arctic (new)

Arctic | 571 comments 1. Swann's Way and To the Lighthouse
Woolf was apparently heavily influenced by Proust, especially in this book, though I'd be willing to do one of her books on the Rory list instead (A Room with a View, perhaps?).

2. Swann's Way and The Complete Poems of Emily Dickinson
Swann's Way is very long, Emily's poems are not. Both were featured in the same GG episode, no other reason for the pairing than that.

Emma and Jane Eyre were also featured in the same episode if anyone is in need of a nomination suggestion. ;)

I think Madame Bovary and Ethan Frome might go well together too, though that's some seriously depressing romance.

message 10: by Erin (new)

Erin | 47 comments I was thinking Jane Eyre and Ethan Frome...that "I love you, you love me but we can't be together" thing unites the two.

message 11: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) 1) Romeo & Juliet and Wuthering Heights

Wuthering Heights is the main book I wanted, but I couldn't find it on the list. I paired it with Romeo & Juliet because they are both tragic love stories.

2) Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights

I thought this pairing might be fun to compare the writing of the two sisters (and it's not as depressing a pair as my first pairing).

message 12: by Arielle (new)

Arielle | 120 comments For romantic love gone wrong, how about
Madame Bovary and Anna Karenina
For familial/sisterly love (if that counts),
Little Women and My Sister's Keeper.

message 13: by Robbie (last edited Jan 21, 2008 07:48PM) (new)

Robbie Bashore | 592 comments Romeo and Juliet and Of Mice and Men. Both tragic love stories.

message 14: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 74 comments I vote for Ethan Frome and Emma.

message 15: by Meghan (new)

Meghan I would like to remind everyone that February is the short month (although with leap year, we do get that extra day). May not want to pair two huge books together.

message 16: by Bree (new)

Bree I would like to vote for Rebecca--Daphne du Maurier and Persuasion--Jane Austen Mostly because I have never read Rebecca, yet the plot seems amazing and I've heard great things about it and I LOVE Persuasion and they seem to be polar opposites, yet are still both considered love stories.

message 17: by Branden (new)

Branden (bjoycer98) Ethan Frome and Wuthering Heights
OR
The Scarlet Letter and Girl with a Pearl Earring
This is for Oscars and Romance

message 18: by Arielle (new)

Arielle | 120 comments Ooh, I just bought Rebecca on a whim at a used bookstore. How fortuitous! Even though I've already nominated, Brenda, good choices!

message 19: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) I've already nominated too, but wanted to mention that Rebecca (which isn't on Rory's list, BTW) pairs really will with Jane Eyre too. In case anyone needs a suggestion. :)

message 20: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (loveliesdiva) | 10 comments Hi, I'm thinking....
Jane Eyre and Emma

two really great classics. :-)

message 21: by Cody (new)

Cody Wilshire (codywilshire) | 85 comments Wow, I'm so behind. I still have Jan's. books sitting on my night stand mocking me for not getting into them (even though I've read Atonement a long ass time ago, I was planning on re-reading it!).

Whoever said Persuasion, just earned major points with me. However, I really think the Rebecca/Jane Eyre pairing would be REALLY interesting.

message 22: by Joey (new)

Joey | 26 comments Persuausion - Jane Austen and Excellent Women - Barbara Pym.

They are both books that involve "older" women thought to be past their prime (or at least women considered at that time to be older). Excellent Women isn't entirely a romance, but it does have some romantic elements.
And both of the characters are what I imagine to be "excellent women".

message 23: by Meghan (new)

Meghan Is it time to vote yet?! hee! How am I going to choose?!

message 24: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Easy, Meghan. Vote the way I tell you to. If everyone did that, things would be a lot nicer. :P

hehehehehehehehehe

message 25: by Arctic (new)

Arctic | 571 comments Rebecca is another book not on The List but referenced in the show nonetheless.

I wouldn't mind reading it either...could definitely go for the Jane Eyre/Rebecca pairing.

message 26: by Meghan (last edited Jan 23, 2008 05:20PM) (new)

Meghan There are no subliminal messages in my coffee are there? heh

[I've edited my nominations] And my nominations are Jane Eyre and 11 minutes (by Paul Coehlo) and Jane Eyre and The Eyre Affair (By Jasper Fforde).

message 27: by Alison, the guru of grace (new)

Did you guys see this list?

http://www.rd.com/love/valentines-day...

message 28: by Alison, the guru of grace (last edited Jan 23, 2008 01:51PM) (new)

UGH! I'm going with:

1. Jane Eyre and Wide Sargasso Sea

2. Jane Eyre and Rebecca.

I really wanted to nominate The Remains of the Day, but couldn't find a Rory book to pair it with.

message 29: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) Alison, thanks for the link. Hee hee, I like that the second book listed was a combination of Wuthering Heights and Jane Eyre - just like one of my pairing suggestions! I hope one of the Anna Karenina pairings win b/c I've always wanted to read that book. But then I see another pair, and I want to read that...Meghan's right, it's going to be tough!

I thought of The Age of Innocence, but I didn't see it on the list, and then I got distracted by my desire to read Wuthering Heights, and well, I went with it. *Sigh*, so many good choices!

message 30: by Dottie (last edited Jan 23, 2008 01:55PM) (new)

Dottie  (oxymoronid) | 698 comments Ooh-ooh-ooh -- I'll second the duo of Jane Eyre and The Wide Sargasso Sea -- but I'll not quibble whatever the choices. I think y'all know that by now.

Dottie -- who just took a TRUE Valentine's Day LUSH soak with bubbles two feet high from a bright red and spicy bath bomb -- it was getting old and I decided it might be losing oomph -- HAH -- not a chance! The water was a lovely light Chinese red but it didn't stain the washcloth and oh my goodness the aroma! I'll have to go see if they have it on sale so I can repeat this on Feb 14th -- though it may have been a holiday special which will mean waiting til next year!

message 31: by Joey (new)

Joey | 26 comments Ohhh Alison I love "The Remains of the Day". Please nominate it for the next possible thing where it fits!

message 32: by Alison, the guru of grace (last edited Jan 23, 2008 02:09PM) (new)

Sara: I saw that pairing of the "sisters." It was my next choice. But you've got it covered. I've always wanted to read Anna Karenina and the Age of Innocence, too.

Dottie, quit gloating (haha, teasing). I still need to check out those products.

Joey, will do my best!

message 33: by Dottie (new)

Dottie  (oxymoronid) | 698 comments Oh, Alison, you realllllly must -- there are bound to be a few that you can't resist. And they are the BEST for those long soaks complete with candles and wine -- and even books if you aren't like me and end up getting the book wet.

message 34: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) Dottie, I've just got to say that I love Lush bath bombs as well! I don't have any at the moment, but I think I need to go stock up!

message 35: by Arctic (new)

Arctic | 571 comments Unrelated but I had ordered some conditioner online that I'd never tried and it came in today. I opened it to check out the scent and promptly squirted it up my nose. Now all I can smell is conditioner! Ugh! Thankfully it's got a fairly pleasant smell.

Just had to share.

now back to your regularly scheduled nominating.

message 36: by Bree (new)

Bree hahahhaha i'm sooo sorry...i'm sure the smell will wear off eventually :P

message 37: by Robbie (new)

Robbie Bashore | 592 comments Oh, this is *too* funny! Even the nominations thread evolves into a bath conversation! :D

message 38: by Dottie (new)

Dottie  (oxymoronid) | 698 comments Oi with the poodles already! Mea culpa. Back to nominations -- please,please,please.

message 39: by Dottie (new)

Dottie  (oxymoronid) | 698 comments I also liked the idea of Jane Eyre with Wuthering Heights -- I've read them "together" like that mmmmbbbbbltty years ago but think it would be fun to do another combination reading of them -- it was just me, myself and I doing that comparison way back when -- but with this group it would be very interesting, I am sure.

So it seems I'm for Jane Eyre and "something" is what it boils down to.

message 40: by Meghan (new)

Meghan Oh Alison. Age of Innocence is SOOOOOO good. You MUST read it. So is Remains of the Day. What about Remains of the Day and Howards End? Or am I just thinking that they go well together because Emma Thompson and Anthony Hopkins are in both? But the books and the movies are great!

message 41: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Mind if I shamelessly pitch for my own nominations here? Moderators can delete it if it's inappropriate.

But I want to point out that Jane Eyre is pretty long, and The Eyre Affair is a super fun, quick read. Just something to consider when you go to vote. ;)

message 42: by Alison, the guru of grace (last edited Jan 23, 2008 05:44PM) (new)

And I think Wide Sargasso Sea is short as well. I would go for either. I was actually thinking of nominating The Eyre Affair as well, before Sarah did.

Meghan, have you read On Beauty? It's a contemporary re-telling of Howard's End. I love Howard's End, also...and A Room With a View. Gosh! That would have been a great pick. So romantic. And it's short. But not really sure what it could be paired with. There's the rub.

message 43: by Meghan (new)

Meghan Alison - heading now to put it on my to-read list. LOVE Howard's End, so this sounds really interesting. A Room with a View is really good too. Have to think about a pair for it though.

message 44: by Meghan (new)

Meghan Oh and Sarah, you hussy, you! Shameless! ha!

message 45: by Emily (new)

Emily My nomination would be for Jane Eyre and The Eyre Affair.

message 46: by Courtney (new)

Courtney Stirrat | 201 comments Agreed!! I heart Edith Wharton in every shape and form. She is fabulous!

message 47: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Oh my gosh, I don't know how I'm going to vote! There are so many amazing books that I want to read. You all have such great taste - but then you all knew that already! =)

message 48: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Ooh, Alison, Wide Sargasso Sea looks good! OK now I'm going to have a hard time voting as well!

message 49: by M0rfeus (new)

M0rfeus Ok as (apparently) the lone guy here I just have to say that Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights is simply too much ESTROGEN for me!

But I could go for Jane Eyre and the Eyre Affair!
;)

Tom

message 50: by Arctic (new)

Arctic | 571 comments If the JE/WH pair wins, I'm nominating Eyre Affair over at the BIWTTA (beauta?) group as an alternative companion. That and Rebecca.

« previous 1