Movies We've Just Watched discussion

Vanity Fair

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Julie (new)

Julie | 25 comments I am not sure if this movie was good or not? I thought it would be like a Sense and Sensibility or Pride and Predjudice type movie (I have never read Vanity Fair so was unamiliar with the story). It was kind of like a comedy/drama but didn't have any of the authenticity of the afore mentioned films. It was entertaining, not at all boring. It was interesting to see Robert Pattinson (who will be playing Edward in the new Twilight film) he did not become more attractive to me but he can act. I normally have found Reese Witherspoon to be a pretty actess but in this film she seemed cherubic and childlike. From what I could guess of the character the person meant to play her should have been more alluring. Reese acted the part well, I just don't think she looked at it. It was easy to see what a very short woman she is, she almost looked pudgy. Overall I would give this film a "C".

message 2: by Alison (new)

Alison Julie...I read this novel prior to the release of this film, and I have to say, this wasn't a very satisfying adaptation for me, either. It was done by filmmaker Mira Nair, and there were some liberties taken in regard to costume and design, I assume, to her own taste which were interesting (all of the exotic reds and so forth). But the ending was changed drastically, and the character of Becky Sharpe was left on a more sympathetic note. I recommend the BBC mini-series of Vanity Fair, and the novel. But settle in...it's a long one! And I thought this was an odd fit for Reece, too.

message 3: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa This film was just a complete mess, particularly with the weird Bollywood musical numbers etc stuck in randomly here and there. I think the reason why Reese Witherspoon looked dumpy was either because she was pregnant or had given birth not long before.

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) I didn't like Reese as a redhead either. Yeah, what was with the Bollywood stuff? And I noticed the sets and costumes were so brightly colored, it just didn't look period. I haven't read the novel either. And as much as I love Reese, I hated her character. I can't get invested into a film OR a book when I hate the main character (unless it's a love-to-hate-them sort of thing).

message 5: by Emma (new)

Emma | 6 comments I thought it was an absolutely gorgeous movie. I'm excited to read the book, although from what I've read about the literary version of Becky Sharpe I'm not supposed to sympathize with her the way I did in the movie, so perhaps it's not a very accurate adaptation. Nonetheless I did love this movie. Thought Witherspoon looked far from dumpy, not that it's particularly relevant to the movie being good or bad.

message 6: by Bliss (new)

Bliss (BlissReads) | 9 comments My daughter and I liked it.

message 7: by George (new)

George | 951 comments I found it to be an interesting effort, even though I didn't think it worked completely. As for the Bollywood numbers, Mira Nair is trying to remind us that Victorian England was the center of a vast empire covering many cultures, most especially India, the Jewel in the Crown, not just England itself. Reese's performance didn't really carry the film for me, which considering she had the central role, was something of a serious problem.

message 8: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 99 comments I also couldn't get over Witherspoon's performance, or lack thereof, in this one. She was pregnant at the time to answer the question about that, and I thought she looked stunning. I found the entire movie rather dismal. Loved Pride and Prejudice and Sense and Sensibility though, maybe it's because she wasn't in them....