The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals The Omnivore's Dilemma discussion

What we eat

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Astrid (last edited Sep 28, 2011 04:39PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Astrid Over 12 years ago and before my husband and I were married, we lived in different countries, but emailed each other many times a day. Every day he asked me,"What are you having for dinner?" This question was a wonderful conversation starter and began my adventure in making more mindful choices about my food. Michael Pollan's The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals is one of my favorites and is based on another interesting question: where did the food on my table come from?

message 2: by Kersten (new)

Kersten Dominique Mason I read this for school in 7th grade. Our class was then split into groups and we picked a food to make a timeline about, the results were astounding. Afterwords it was always a joke with our English and Science teacher that all we used/ate was corn. When we spilled something on the floor we would ask if we could borrow a corn to wipe up all the corn off of the corn.

Matthew Kerst4ever wrote: "I read this for school in 7th grade. Our class was then split into groups and we picked a food to make a timeline about, the results were astounding. Afterwords it was always a joke with our Englis..."

I'm impressed that your school used this book in middle school. Was it a public school? Either way, very cool to make you think about things when you are still young and consciously making decisions to impact the rest of your life.

message 4: by Kersten (new)

Kersten Dominique Mason Yeah, it's public (luckily no uniforms). We also learned that it's better to feed school children after they had recess because kids believe the faster they eat lunch the faster recess will come. (Although in our school that's untrue.) Our teachers mostly did this in order to teach us that fast food is a "no-no." In 6th grade we did a project in which we stored a McDouble on a shelf for 5 months in a paper bag. Then on the last day of school our teacher bought us all McDoubles in order to compare them. It was used to show how much preservatives are in their burgers. Our other teacher couldn't tell the difference between the 5 month old burger and the newly bought one. I think in 8th or 9th grade we're supposed to watch Supersize Me. I'm looking forward to that.

message 5: by Bad Wolf (new)

Bad Wolf I love this book!!!!! I am very interested in the fast food nation stuff. (don't know what to call it.) My cousin and I want to open a "Cookie and Soda" stand. Cookies shall be a peaice of corn, te soda a bottle of syrup.

message 6: by Kersten (new)

Kersten Dominique Mason I would so go there. I'd be like "how much for the "cookie"?" You'd be like "two dollars!" That's like so jipping people of their money.
I should go to McDonalds and when they ask if I would like a mocha frappe I'd be like "No, but can I have some of your corn nuggets with some corn sauce. Please fry the nuggets in extra corn. My mum would love if you could make her corn shake with a little less corn and a little more shake."
What if you were allergic to corn? LIFE WOULD SUCK!!!

message 7: by Bad Wolf (new)

Bad Wolf LOL

message 8: by Kersten (new)

Kersten Dominique Mason Like I said, LIFE WOULD SUCK!!
Your store idea, you should totally invest in that. Do you think it could win over McDonald's customers.
"Gracieface, could I have one gallon of cookie juice? You can't normally juice cookies, but... your cookies are 'special'. They're made with a special ingredient nobody will be able to guess. I just sometimes seem to wonder why they're so small. hmmm....."