The Sword and Laser discussion

Have scams come to Goodreads?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Noah (new)

Noah Sturdevant (noahksturdevant) | 173 comments I'm used to having people try to take advantage of me through e-mail, phone calls, oddly persistent carrier pigeons, etc., but I wasn't expecting it from goodreads.
Here is the message I got today.

my name is miss Nancy i am a single girl never married.
i saw your profile today,i will like to be your friend and i will like to know more about you,i believe in reality of love,please contact me back with my email(nancypaulson28@yahoo.com)so that i can tell you more about myself and for us to know more about each other,i await your mail.
thanks Nancy

Obviously, I am a gorgeous hunk of man-meat, and am used to being hit on, but has this happened to anyone else?

message 2: by Nick (new)

Nick (whyzen) | 1295 comments It happens from time to time but goodreads is pretty good about weeding them out. You should have a link that lets you flag the message as spam. I've gotten 2 of those sort of messages since I joined.

message 3: by Evgeny (new)

Evgeny It happens from time to time, I had similar messages twice since I joined Goodreads. Report the sender, the admins are good at fighting spam.

message 4: by Noah (new)

Noah Sturdevant (noahksturdevant) | 173 comments Well, now I don't feel special.

message 5: by Wilmar (new)

Wilmar Luna (wilmarluna) | 240 comments Don't worry, you can still be a hunk of man-meat.

Now... I am a Nigerian Prince currently residing in Switzerland. I would like to offer you the opportunity to to bathe in a tub of riches. All I need is your Western Union... *trails off*

message 6: by Noah (new)

Noah Sturdevant (noahksturdevant) | 173 comments Western Union what? I didn't catch the end. Please take my money, your highness!

message 7: by John (new)

John Wiswell | 86 comments I've definitely gotten one of these before. It's honestly relieving that other people get them, too. Definitely call an admin about it.

message 8: by Noah (new)

Noah Sturdevant (noahksturdevant) | 173 comments I guess I was just naive. It never occurred to me to try to scam avid readers. It would seem they would be a more skeptical audience.

message 9: by Nick (new)

Nick (whyzen) | 1295 comments Mr. Noah wrote: "I guess I was just naive. It never occurred to me to try to scam avid readers. It would seem they would be a more skeptical audience."

Well there are those that read the Twilight books ...

message 10: by Evgeny (new)

Evgeny Nick wrote: "Mr. Noah wrote: "I guess I was just naive. It never occurred to me to try to scam avid readers. It would seem they would be a more skeptical audience."

Well there are those that read the Twilight ..."

+100 :)

message 11: by Firstname (new)

Firstname Lastname | 488 comments Mr. Noah wrote: "I guess I was just naive. It never occurred to me to try to scam avid readers. It would seem they would be a more skeptical audience."

A lot of the people here seem quite young. As Nick noted, reading alone doesn't make you smart, reading critically and carefully, might.

message 12: by Candice (new)

Candice Nunu (nunu_noodles) | 52 comments I haven't had any spammers before, but when my profile pic was a pic of my back tattoos I got about 4 friend request things a day by guys, so I changed it, because it was getting a little annoying. I wanted people who wanted to talk about books, afterall :)
And if you're quietly wondering why I had a fully exposed back pic as my profile pic but didn't want untoward attention from it, it's because the tattoo is associated with one of my favourite book series, and I felt like here at good reads that'd be a positive thing :p

message 13: by Alan (new)

Alan | 534 comments Candice wrote: "And if you're quietly wondering why I had a fully exposed back pic as my profile pic but didn't want untoward attention from it,...."
Actually, I'm wondering why I don't recognize the book series it comes from. What's the book?

message 14: by Candice (new)

message 15: by Noah (new)

Noah Sturdevant (noahksturdevant) | 173 comments Candice, I took your tattoo idea and made it another thread, because it is awesome.

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 16: by Olivia Helen (new)

Olivia Helen (liviebutton) | 29 comments It isn't exactly spam, but I have had a couple guys ask me how old I am, and if they could see a picture of me. :/

message 17: by Noah (new)

Noah Sturdevant (noahksturdevant) | 173 comments Oddly comforting that creepers can be found everywhere. They still need to be hit with clown hammers though.

message 18: by P. Aaron (new)

P. Aaron Potter (PAaronPotter) | 585 comments What does it say about me that I've never gotten one of these?
Is it my deodorant?

message 19: by Noah (new)

Noah Sturdevant (noahksturdevant) | 173 comments Maybe you just need a makeover.

message 20: by Mark (new)

Mark (markmtz) | 1305 comments P. Aaron wrote: "What does it say about me that I've never gotten one of these?
Is it my deodorant?"

It's the "P." in "P. Aaron". Reminds of a good-ol' dog whose tongue is flapping out the side.

message 21: by Fresno Bob (new)

Fresno Bob | 491 comments Bob Dobbs wards off the spammers with the power of SLACK!

message 22: by Candice (new)

Candice Nunu (nunu_noodles) | 52 comments Lol!
Will we see more spammers with the Amazon merge? I don't really use amazon (from NZ) so I have no idea if that's something that happens with them.

P.Aaron, you must need to use more mascara or something, it's fairly obvious that your eyes need to 'pop' more to attract this kind of lovely attention... Yep..*cough*

message 23: by kvon (new)

kvon | 559 comments P. Aaron wrote: "What does it say about me that I've never gotten one of these?
Is it my deodorant?"

Try changing your pic to that of a (generic but pretty) young girl, remove the 'male' from your profile, and see how long it takes to get a dozen!

message 24: by Jon (new)

Jon (jon17) | 27 comments kvon wrote: "Try changing your pic to that of a (generic but pretty) young girl, remove the 'male' from your profile, and see how long it takes to get a dozen! "

From Nancy?

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2420 comments I get these from time to time. Some are spammers but once someone was genuinely hitting on me, because he wrote back! That was creepy. I report the spammers.

message 26: by Firstname (new)

Firstname Lastname | 488 comments Jenny wrote: "I get these from time to time. Some are spammers but once someone was genuinely hitting on me, because he wrote back! That was creepy. I report the spammers."

Be a guy, it's the only way to deter the "OMG I'm fapping so hard to your posts" ever-virgin contingent.

message 27: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 96 comments CREEPTASTIC!!
That has never happened to me on GR
That is um well freaky and um a little odd "the reality of love" oh please

message 28: by Firstname (new)

Firstname Lastname | 488 comments Dawn wrote: "CREEPTASTIC!!
That is um well freaky and um a little odd "the reality of love" oh please"

fappity fap fap

/kidding

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2420 comments I don't mind it if I don't have to hear about it.

message 30: by Firstname (new)

Firstname Lastname | 488 comments Jenny wrote: "I don't mind it if I don't have to hear about it."

I can't fap to this.

/huge grin

message 31: by Fresno Bob (new)

Fresno Bob | 491 comments So, what are you wearing? :D

message 32: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 96 comments Firstname wrote: "Dawn wrote: "CREEPTASTIC!!
That is um well freaky and um a little odd "the reality of love" oh please"

fappity fap fap

/kidding"

LOLs

Fresno Bob wrote: "So, what are you wearing? :D"

Funny!

message 33: by Micah (new)

Micah (onemorebaker) | 1071 comments And this thread took a turn for the weird.....

message 34: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 3793 comments I think I need my mommy.

I've never had the kind of spam at GR that the OP mentioned...I'm not sure if I'm happy or disappointed. ;)

message 35: by Firstname (new)

Firstname Lastname | 488 comments Fresno Bob wrote: "So, what are you wearing? :D"

Three goats and an alpaca.

message 36: by Fresno Bob (new)

Fresno Bob | 491 comments Firstname wrote: "Fresno Bob wrote: "So, what are you wearing? :D"

Three goats and an alpaca."

That's hot!

message 37: by Firstname (new)

Firstname Lastname | 488 comments Fresno Bob wrote: "Firstname wrote: "Fresno Bob wrote: "So, what are you wearing? :D"

Three goats and an alpaca."

That's hot!"

How YOU doin'?

message 38: by Noah (new)

Noah Sturdevant (noahksturdevant) | 173 comments Well, I'd say my question was thoroughly answered. Scams are present, but they can never be replaced by good and honest home-grown perversion.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2420 comments We are so much more than a form letter!

message 40: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2244 comments I had one the other week. Much to my disappointment it appeared to be from a new member and not from one of the hot chicks in the Vag Fantasy group :(

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2420 comments Dick Lit group? I got that invitation too.

message 42: by Noah (new)

Noah Sturdevant (noahksturdevant) | 173 comments Unless this is a group devoted to Richard Matheson and Richard Kadrey, I don't want to know about it.

message 43: by Firstname (new)

Firstname Lastname | 488 comments Mr. Noah wrote: "Unless this is a group devoted to Richard Matheson and Richard Kadrey, I don't want to know about it."

So many jokes, so little time.

message 44: by Colin (new)

Colin | 278 comments I dont know about the spam messages, but these super loud video ads on repeat are rather annoying. Scars and Madrid. Two things now on my hate list.

message 45: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 3793 comments Well, now I feel like I'm part of the club, I got a GR spam Mail from someone who wanted to get to know me more. Sadly, it was someone who claimed to be a woman. Just not my type. ;)

message 46: by Firstname (new)

Firstname Lastname | 488 comments terpkristin wrote: "Well, now I feel like I'm part of the club, I got a GR spam Mail from someone who wanted to get to know me more. Sadly, it was someone who claimed to be a woman. Just not my type. ;)"

Still probably a guy.

message 47: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 3793 comments Firstname wrote: "Still probably a guy."

I had this exact thought. ;)

message 48: by Tae (new)

Tae | 25 comments I feel sorry for all of these single women named Natasha, Nancy, Bianca, Laura, and Sarah who can't seem to find love.

I mean according to the messages they sent me they are incredibly nice people who could tell how amazing I was from my blank GR photo.

They are obviously a good judge of character, I wonder why they can't find love... :P

message 49: by Noah (new)

Noah Sturdevant (noahksturdevant) | 173 comments I could actually see someone being attracted to another person based on talks on forums and comparing book lists. Romantic, right? But, I the scammers just don't have time to put in that one on one attention. Poor Nancy, I hope you find the gullible man of your dreams... who turns you into the police for fraud.

message 50: by Troy (new)

Troy Jackson | 25 comments Sounds like a sad tragedy in the works...

« previous 1