Stephen King Fans discussion

Movies & TV shows > The Mist- movie

Comments Showing 1-50 of 163 (163 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Trudi (new)

Trudi (trudistafford) | 150 comments So what say you about Darabont's adaptation... who loved it, who hated it, and why?

message 2: by Trudi (new)

Trudi (trudistafford) | 150 comments ***spoiler alert***

I apologize for the length of this rant, but my therapist says it's good if I get this stuff off my chest ;)

I wanted to love this movie, I really did. I'm a huge fan of director Frank Darabont, and The Shawshank Redemption ranks as one of my all-time favorite films. Unfortunately The Mist misses the mark; it works as neither an all-out giant monster movie, nor is it a convincing suspense drama. Two film styles are in conflict here and because Darabont never does make up his mind which one he is selling, both fail. Case in point, the overtly melodramatic score used towards the end; beautiful, haunting, but entirely out of place. The music belongs in a Jewish holocaust picture. I couldn't help thinking, "where's Schindler?"

There are moments of genuine tension, and the special effects are fantastic, but none of this is enough to carry off the whole movie, no matter how well executed. The drama tends to be over-dramatic, and comes off as silly, not riveting or convincing. This would have been great in a giant monster movie; for that I say go all out -- the more camp the better. In that case over-the-top works and The Mist could have been that movie. Instead, Darabont punctuates the action with sequences of melodrama trying to bring it back to a "serious" film. It doesn't work.

Darabont also feels compelled to over-explain the origins of the mist. For King this is a minor detail when it comes to the larger story, a red herring if you will. Where it came from is not nearly as important as how people react. Too much screen time is given to theories and explanations that in the end are unsatisfying anyway.

The ending: OMG, WTF!? I actually wanted to bust out laughing ... it was just too much. I mean there's over-the-top, then there's ... well, then there's this ending. Again, this would have worked in the campy, giant monster movie, but by the end, Darabont seems to think he's still making another Shawshank picture. I realize King's ending is too "soft" and ambiguous for a Hollywood ending, and I sympathized with Darabont's dilemma - he had to end it some way after all, but this? I could have bought the shootings (with what's waiting for them all in the mist, yeah, I'd probably say shoot me too) but for the cavalry to arrive seconds later???? Just couldn't swallow that one.

Okay, there's my rant, what say you all?

message 3: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 701 comments I disliked the ending when I first saw the movie. I thought it was too depressing and not at all what I had envisioned. Upon reviewings, the ending has grown on me. It's not perfect (I'm sick, and that spelling just looks wrong but oh well) but I believe it fits the tone and theme of the rest of the movie. **************SPOILER***************************************************************************************
I feel like the cavalry showing up just a second too late shows the ramifications of succumbing to group stress and Thomas Jane's anguish at the end felt genuine to me. Just my opinion.

message 4: by Jaice (new)

Jaice Cooperrider (plasborgma) | 114 comments I really enjoyed it and feel the ending is very appropriate. I hope to read the book before too long.

message 5: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

Angie | 2586 comments Mod
I liked the movie... and I didn't mind the movie ending either. But it is too bad that movies always need a hollywood ending.

message 6: by Jack (new)

Jack | 14 comments Rachel wrote: "I disliked the ending when I first saw the movie. I thought it was too depressing and not at all what I had envisioned. Upon reviewings, the ending has grown on me. It's not perfect (I'm sick, and..." In the Mist,the "creatures" in the mist appear to rely on their sense of smell. Yes, they were in a car, but Ollie's blood is all over the front windshield, and I doubt that NOTHING would be attracted to the car. That, along with the "Four bullets, five of us," ordeal ruined it for me. I'd rather have a movie gaff where there are 5 bullets left in a six-shot gun after two shots have already been fired, and the army comes after they are all dead. AND I seriously doubt that after going through so much to protect his son, he would just succumb to the first option. I think he should have at least tried to find another solution.

message 7: by Emma (new)

Emma Audsley (emmaaudsley) | 25 comments I was amazed by the endimg....I sat there mouth gaping with tears & my partner cried too. I thought it was pretty poor til about half-way through when you start to realise who they needed to fear.... Themselves.

message 8: by Jack (new)

Jack | 14 comments Em wrote: "I was amazed by the endimg....I sat there mouth gaping with tears & my partner cried too. I thought it was pretty poor til about half-way through when you start to realise who they needed to fear....."I agree about the concept that they need to fear themselves...but mostly Mrs.Carmody,who i HATED throughout the movie. I was so happy when Ollie shot her(i mean it) that i cant even describe it.

message 9: by Jaice (last edited Apr 12, 2009 02:07PM) (new)

Jaice Cooperrider (plasborgma) | 114 comments Jack wrote: "I agree about the concept that they need to fear themselves...but mostly Mrs.Carmody,who i HATED throughout the movie. I was so happy when Ollie shot her(i mean it) that i cant even describe it."

I know what you mean, Jack.

message 10: by Jack (new)

Jack | 14 comments Thank you Jason. A startling realization on my part;if this happened to us(the world), people would probably travel in packs, form gangs, and you have to think: what would you do?

message 11: by Tek (new)

Tek | 95 comments Trudi wrote: "So what say you about Darabont's adaptation... who loved it, who hated it, and why? "

I loved 90% of the movie. I thought the acting was at least good all around, and Mrs Carmody was terrificly despicable. The special effects were very enjoyable. The action and pace was all well and good. Some dialog felt stale but you'll have that. All up until the very ending did I think it could do little to no wrong. Then the ending happened and it just didn't sit well. I could have dealt with the people in the car losing all hope when they ran out of gas and the Dad shooting everyone, starting with his son. It just felt too fast. And I really don't know how you make it seem reasonable without seeming dull in a situation like that, but I'm not a film maker. It just felt too abrupt. Like, Omg we're out of gas...30 seconds later, Alright I'm gonna shoot yinz...10 seconds later, Argh Im all alone and want to die....4 seconds later, Is that the army come to save us? But...but...I already....NOOOOooooooo!

message 12: by Jaice (new)

Jaice Cooperrider (plasborgma) | 114 comments I agree that things did happen a bit too quickly at the end, which didn't seem to flow with the rest of the movie.

message 13: by Jaden (new)

Jaden | 5 comments I found the ending to be very good and one of the things I liked about the movie. It was very unHollywood- after all if it were all about happiness and perfect endings then the ending would've been a complete 180. I also thought Marcia Gay Harden did a wonderful acting job.

message 14: by Jack (new)

Jack | 14 comments Jaden wrote: "I found the ending to be very good and one of the things I liked about the movie. It was very unHollywood- after all if it were all about happiness and perfect endings then the ending would've bee..."Yes, Marcia Hayden DID do a good acting job, but I personally think the ending didn't flow with the plot line(As Jason put it), and all throughout the movie, the dad tries to save his son. I really think he would at least try to find an alternate solution.

message 15: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 69 comments I thought it was a pretty good adaptation. And Marica Gay Harden was great. I actually liked the ending better than the two other ones (from the two written verisons). I thought it was even more horrifying -- not scary - but absolutely stomach tightening, gasping, I can't believe it, horrifying...

message 16: by Kathy (last edited Apr 14, 2009 07:30AM) (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 665 comments I found the ending really disturbing and it broke my heart! (Maybe that's because I'm a parent, I don't know.) With that said, it made alot of sense and probably the best choice for the ending.

message 17: by Tek (new)

Tek | 95 comments Kathy wrote: "I found the ending really disturbing and it broke my heart! (Maybe that's because I'm a parent, I don't know.) With that said, it made alot of sense and probably the best choice for the ending. "

Im not complaining about the choice to end the film the way it did. My only gripe is with the swiftness the group gives up in the end. They were in no immediate danger, there was no creature waiting in the background to devour the truck, I doubt they were near death from starvation. They just run out of gas and in a slip second decide suicide is the way out. It seemed too swift a decent into hopelessness. I couldve bought it if there was a better reason.

message 18: by GracieKat (new)

GracieKat | 67 comments I just kind of skimmed through because I didn't want too much spoiled for me but I was wondering if they left in the part where he bones the girl in the supermarket? That's the only thing keeping me from watching it so I'd like to know if it's in there.

message 19: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 665 comments Nope, that is not in the movie. I read the story after the movie and was really surprised when I got to that point in the story.

message 20: by GracieKat (new)

GracieKat | 67 comments That's good. I'm going to watch it then. I hated that part in the story. It made no sense.

message 21: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 665 comments Well, like alot of people have been saying in threads on this site, sex and horror tend to go hand and hand. I'm not saying I liked that scene, because I definitely didn't, but scenes like that seem to find their way in alot of horror.

message 22: by GracieKat (new)

GracieKat | 67 comments Yeah, I get that. It just seemed so out of place within the context.

message 23: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 665 comments I thought so too. I don't get it, myself. Maybe if I was ever in a life and death situation like that, I would feel different, but I hope I never find out!

message 24: by GracieKat (new)

GracieKat | 67 comments Yeah, me too!:)

message 25: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 4105 comments I think it's along the lines of soap operas and trashy romance novels. Everybody ends up falling into bed with someone right after a funeral. Around all that death they need to prove their really alive. Same theory, I think.

message 26: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 665 comments Kandice wrote: "I think it's along the lines of soap operas and trashy romance novels. Everybody ends up falling into bed with someone right after a funeral. Around all that death they need to prove their really a..."

That sounds about right.

message 27: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

Angie | 2586 comments Mod
I wouldn't not watch the movie because of the sex scene might be in it. If anythig I would just fast forward that scene and still watch the rest of the movie.

message 28: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 665 comments Its definitely worth seeing!

message 29: by Lonnie (new)

Lonnie "Well, like alot of people have been saying in threads on this site, sex and horror tend to go hand and hand. I'm not saying I liked that scene, because I definitely didn't, but scenes like that seem to find their way in alot of horror."

Oh this is horrible! I have been contemplating on doing a horror story that takes place in a retirement home. Guess I am going to have to rethink that setting if I have to have a gratuitous sex scene in it.

message 30: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 665 comments Lonnie wrote: ""Well, like alot of people have been saying in threads on this site, sex and horror tend to go hand and hand. I'm not saying I liked that scene, because I definitely didn't, but scenes like that seem to find their way in alot of horror."

Oh this is horrible! I have been contemplating on doing a horror story that takes place in a retirement home. Guess I am going to have to rethink that setting if I have to have a gratuitous sex scene in it.
..."

Lonnie, that would be disturbing!

message 31: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 69 comments LOL. I like sex scenes when they fit the story

message 32: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 665 comments I have no problem with sex in horror movies, but in The Mist...here you have this happily married man and as soon as he is faced with a dangerous situation.....lets hook up with the closest female in the office. It didn't make sense to me. But like I said before, maybe if faced with a similar, scary situation.....I would think differently.

message 33: by GracieKat (new)

GracieKat | 67 comments For me it depends on the context it's in. If it's realistic then I don't have a problem with it. It just bothers me when it's thrown in there for the sake of having sex in it.

message 34: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 69 comments Well I can see how if someone is terrified and afraid they might be going to die they might want some comfort or release. I think someone made the comment about sex and funerals which apparently is rather common. I think death makes us feel extra vulnerable.

message 35: by Kim (new)

Kim | 28 comments I told friends of mine not to watch it because of how disturbing I found the ending. As a parent of 2 little boys I was just so pissed that I wanted to throw something at my tv. Worst movie ending ever!

message 36: by Chris , The Hardcase (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 1117 comments Mod
I loved the movie. I actually adored the ending - it was so breathtakingly depressing and badass all rolled up together....the effects of the mist and the monsters behind it - wow...dismal ending of humanity; what's not to love?

My favorite part of it all though was near the beginning when he was painting a portrait of Roland the Gunslinger....

message 37: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 665 comments That was cool with the picture of Roland! I caught that right away. As far as the ending goes, I wasn't a fan of it, but the story ends so open-ended they just couldn't do that with the movie! And I don't think a "happy ending" would've been right for that movie. It was frustrating how quick he seemed ready to do that. I didn't think they had gotten to that level of desperation yet. I loved the movie, though, I really did!

message 38: by LinBee (new)

LinBee I love when they like to throw little references to his other works into the movies. I think King likes to make cameos in his movies as well. It's like playing "Where's Waldo?" What can you spot next?

message 39: by GracieKat (new)

GracieKat | 67 comments Yeah, I love that about his books, too. How he'll mention a character from another book. It really keeps his books bound together. You have an easier time feeling like Castle Rock is an actual place.

message 40: by Kim (new)

Kim | 28 comments I would have liked the ending more if the dad had thrown himself under the tank that rolled by after he realized what a horrible and tragic mistake he had made.

message 41: by Patrick (new)

Patrick (horrorshow) | 62 comments Ha! Kind of like Jack Ketchum's character being shot by the calvary rather than being saved in Off Season except the father gets run over by the tank.

I liked the novelette's ending with the word, 'Hope' but it seemed Stephen King wanted something different and I thought it was an ironic end that the woman who went out in the mist looking for her kids ended up being saved. In the book, the reader would assume that she had been eaten by these pesky monsters.

message 42: by Kim (new)

Kim | 28 comments Exactly. Patrick, I also enjoyed the irony of seeing the woman and her kids on the truck at the end.

message 43: by LinBee (new)

LinBee And the pointed look that she gives him. It's great irony.

message 44: by J.C. (last edited Jun 28, 2009 07:03AM) (new)

J.C. Torre (jdelator) | 5 comments I like most other King fans enjoyed the movie but absolutely hated the ending. In fact, I've gone so far as to edit out the ending of the movie and just have it end when after they see the large monster walk across the road.

It was terribly disappointing because out of all SK's novelettes The Mist was by far my favorite.

message 45: by Martin (new)

Martin Maher (martin87) | 72 comments I`m inclined to agree with you on that one. I watched the movie right after reading the story & must say that I prefered King`s ending. It left it up to yourself as to what you thought happened in the end. Having said that, I thought the movie was quite good in general.

message 46: by LinBee (new)

LinBee I agree as well. The Mist was one of my favorite short stories long before the movie ever came out. I guess the ending on the movie adaptation was more for non-King fans who hadn't or wouldn't read the story. They had to have a closure. I prefer the ending in the story, but I can understand why they did what they did.

message 47: by Bonita (new)

Bonita (NMBonita) Funny, I just watched The Mist last night - the black and white director's cut - and thought the ending was awesome and appropriate. The director, Frank Darabont, chose the ending straight from the short story itself.

From Chapter XI of The Mist: I checked the gun and then put it into the glove compartment. Ollie had reloaded it after the expedition to the drugstore. The rest of the shells had disappeared with him, but that was all right. He had fired at Mrs. Carmody, he had fired once at the clawed thing, and the gun had discharged once when it hit the ground. There were four of us in the Scout, but if push came right down to shove, I'd find some other way out for myself."

message 48: by LinBee (new)

LinBee Though, in the story, it was only suggested. Not actually done.

message 49: by Bonita (new)

Bonita (NMBonita) You're right. Frank Darabont thought the original ending of the story was too open-ended for a visual viewing, he knew, and Stephen King agreed, that the audience needed something more substantial.

message 50: by Bonita (new)

Bonita (NMBonita) Something else... I can't think now what exactly Mrs. Carmody had said but it also had to do with the film's ending... something regarding atonement and how someone had to pay the price. Just as Paul Edgecomb in the Green Mile was left behind... and had a price to pay.

« previous 1 3 4