17th Century History discussion

Who is your favourite 17th century person?

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mark (new)

Mark Turnbull | 11 comments Mod
Personally, it has to be King Charles I - much misunderstood by modern standards, where it is easy to dismiss why he could ever think himself appointed by God. We forget we live in the 21st century which seems closer aligned to the thinking of Cromwell, thans King Charles, which is one reason why the King gets overshadowed quite a lot.

message 2: by Gisela (new)

Gisela Kretzschmar (gkretzschmar) | 1 comments Being a fan of medical history my first choice would be Sir Theodore de Mayerne closely followed by Nicholas Culpeper. And I do agree with you, Mark, about Charles I being very much misunderstood by modern standards - even though I wouldn't consider myself a Royalist ;)

message 3: by Mark (new)

Sir Theodore was certainly a professional - he avoided getting drawn into the civil war, despite being physician to Henrietta Maria! And, if that's not all, he stood up to the frantic, hypochondriac Queen and told her that her illness was all in her mind!!

message 4: by Susan (new)

Susan (boswellbaxter) I have a certain fondness for Henrietta Maria--she has a tenacity that I respect.

message 5: by Mark (new)

Yes, Henrietta Maria was certainly a brave queen. The fact sticks out about her escaping from the lodgings in Bridlington after it came under fire from Parliamentary warships and then turning round and running back for her dog!!

She could make some major faux-pas about people's characters though, trusting the wrong type!

message 6: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitadavison) Coming a little late to this discussion, but my favourite would have to be John Evelyn, who was a great survivor. He stuck to his principles without offending any of his royal masters and managed to outlive them all.

message 7: by Mark (new)

Good choice - he was certainly more reliable at times (and honourable) than Pepys!

message 8: by Old-Barbarossa (new)

Old-Barbarossa The only honest man to enter parliament: Guy Fawkes...
Or possibly Miguel de Cervantes...wrote a book.
Or possibly "Bluidy Clavers", AKA "Bonnie Dundee", AKA John Graham the 1st Viscount of Dundee...complex Jacobite.

message 9: by Alan (last edited Apr 08, 2019 05:05AM) (new)

Alan Johnson (alanejohnson) | 12 comments My favorite is Roger Williams (1603?-1683), who argued, in both England and New England, for complete liberty of conscience and total separation of church and state. He established a polity based on these principles in Providence (later Rhode Island) and was also much involved in English debates over these issues during his two return visits to England (1643-44 and 1651-54). I am currently writing a book about Williams, scheduled for publication later this year or early next year. An excerpt from the book has been published in The Independent Scholar Quarterly (http://www.ncis.org/sites/default/fil...).

4/8/2019 Note : My book on Roger Williams was published in 2015. See Alan E. Johnson, The First American Founder: Roger Williams and Freedom of Conscience (Philosophia, 2015).

message 10: by Ozgur (new)

Ozgur Sahin (ozgurksahin) | 2 comments Sir Isaac Newton, I'd say. But there are lots of notable people in this era.

Also Louis XIV was maybe not a great person, but he was a strong king.

message 11: by Michael (last edited Nov 26, 2017 02:12PM) (new)

Michael Bully | 4 comments I don't know about 'favourite' in the sense of endorsing the man's character or behaviour but I am fascinated by James Duke of Monmouth. The Monmouth Rebellion of 1685 was a dismal failure but he seemed to be convinced, just like Mister Micawber, that something was going to turn up at the very last minute and save him. Feel sorry for the poor wretches who were gullible enough to take up arms for him and had to face Judge Jeffries but then most of them would have known the risks they were taking by joining in an armed rebellion against the Crown.

message 12: by Marko (new)

Marko (msusimetsa) | 2 comments Perhaps Gustavus Adolphus, the king of Sweden, is my favourite.

But I also have a soft spot for d'Artagnan, although I mostly know him through Dumas' fiction. :)

message 13: by Mark (new)

I think Guatavus Adolphus is a character who is overlooked. He was like a firework that burst into the war in Europe with such success, but fizzed out prematurely and as such, he's not always recognised for the big achievements he made.

message 14: by Mark (new)

A man who still remains in the shadows but who is a personality is like to know more about us Sir Jacob Astley - Charles I's Sergeant-Major-General.

message 15: by Merna (new)

Merna  (creative-books) Oliver Cromwell. I think he is far more misunderstood than Charles I. John Milton would be another favourite 17th century person.