Witches, Weres, and Vamps, Oh MY! discussion

Let's Talk Books > Let The Right One In *SPOILERS*

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shanon (new)

Shanon (boban) | 1166 comments Mod
I read Let the Right One In last month and really enjoyed it. I was actually surprised I enjoyed the book as much as I did because there were some REALLY disturbing parts to it. I almost put the book down after the scene in the bathroom at the beginning! I'm glad I didn't because while Haken was a gross character the book was amazingly well written.

I'm curious as to what everyone elses thoughts are.

message 2: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kathry) My feelings for this book fluctuated wildly during and after reading it. It's extremely well written. It's depressing. I heard many people cite the friendship between Eli and Oskar as what made this book special but I found it to be a book more about survival, about what a person is willing or not willing to do in order to survive. Though I could talk about this book forever, and I continue to waiver, the thing I can not get out of my head is that Eli decided to survive and Virginia killed herself. I haven't heard anyone mention Virginia.

message 3: by Shanon (new)

I waivered the entire time. I didn't like any of the characters, until the very last chapter - that's when I saw Oskar & Eli's relationship as a friendship because she came back for him.

Virginia did kill herself - was it a selfless move to save others, or a selfish "I can't find a way to make this work" kind of thing?? hmm...

message 4: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kathry) Shanon wrote: "Virginia did kill herself - was it a selfless move to save others, or a selfish "I can't find a way to make this work" kind of thing?? hmm... "

I think she was so disgusted (remember her thinking about her daughter giving birth, ewww) with herself that she had to do it. And maybe she was able to do it only because she was tied up.

I did like Eli towards the end but I was also thinking most of the time that Eli was grooming Oskar as Hakan's replacement, someone to take care of Eli. Very disturbing.

Did you ever like Oskar? I feel slightly guilty for this, but I really disliked him. I understood his choices and actions but at the risk of sounding heartless, I think Oskar was weak. The whole bullying storyline was frightening. From the beginning when you discover how Oskar is treated at school and then find out about his serial killer obsession, maybe I'm not being understanding enough, but I couldn't stand him.

And weren't you so annoyed with Oskar's parents! His mother was so complacent and his father was terrible.

message 5: by Shanon (new)

I didn't like Oskar - but I felt pity for him... well until I thought about him playing his little games with the knife in the woods - then all pity dissolved.

I didn't want anything bad to happen to Oskar in the end and I was VERY happy that Eli saved him. I just can't think about what they're going to be doing together in the future - I'm glad there isn't a sequel.

I was very annoyed with Oskar's parent - what a prime example of failed parenting because of parents being too involved in their own lives to notice their child spiraling out of control and being completely unhappy!

message 6: by Lily (new)

Lily (lilithesque) I have not read the book, but I have seen the movie, and it was one of the best vampire movies I have seen. I liked and pitied Oscar. It is on DVD now.

message 7: by Shanon (last edited Apr 18, 2009 08:35AM) (new)

The foreign movie was released on DVD the beginning of March I believe. After reading the book I was wary to watch it on film - too many things I just don't want to see. I've been assured by someone who has read the book & watched the movie that the movie doesn't contain the more disturbing aspects of the book.

I heard they are re-making an english one too - can't remember where I heard it though.

message 8: by Lily (new)

Lily (lilithesque) There is a lot inferred. The movie is stark, and basic in portraying the old school vampire mythos. Here is what I wrote when I first saw the movie. I was actually answering a question is this a crime drama.

Crime Fiction… maybe, psychological drama… yes, horror oh yea.

Keep in mind I didn’t study English, film or anything. This is just my opinion but…. There are elements of a crime fiction such as serial murders, mystery and suspense, but the driver of this movie isn’t figuring out who’s next to die, or how it’s going to be solved, rather its figuring out what is going on between the characters and pushing your mind past the illusion or expectation of a twelve year old girls vulnerability. What constitutes a hero, victim, protector, predator, a Mark, love, compassion, evil or monster.

If I went to see this movie expecting a crime fiction, I would be surprised or horrified. I compare calling this a crime fiction to calling Event Horizon a Space movie or science fiction. Yes space was the setting and it had the elements of science fiction or space ship flicks. Buuuut, it was so much more horrible. Beautiful if you’re so inclined to appreciate horror. Logic and expectation took a detour in Event Horizon. Both my sister, who I went to see it with, and myself thought we were going to see a Star Trekky type film or at scariest an Alien type film. Rather as folks were poking their own eyes out and spinning out of expectation, I was actually frightened and was spooky for a while after I saw the movie. I kept thinking about it. Although it was in space it was horror. It s just that it was so unexpected.

Well, if you went to “Let the Right One In” expecting crime drama, you would be surprised and horrified. Even expecting a vamp movie doesn’t prepare the viewer for the horror of this movie. The stark setting and the matter a fact way the murders happen, as if on a hunting trip, or the way the survivor of the attack transforms, and the way our vamp child transitions from one companion to the next, is horrifying and unexpected, even when expecting it. Even expecting a vampire I kept being surprised by her powers and the elements of vampirism in this movie’s world. I wasn’t scared after I left the movie, but I was left contemplating the horror of what a perfect and brilliant predator she is. I also was bowled over by the way the vampirism was so basic. Not flashy but effective. Horrible.

Today much of the movies and books are quite gory and graphic and it is harder and harder to really horrify me or surprise me. Both Event Horizon and LTROI leave a sense of horror as an aftertaste. Both surprise. Both have depth to contemplate long after you leave the theatre. Both are catagorizationally tricky. Space flick so much doesn’t cover what event horizon was, even though it is a space flick. Crime drama doesn’t cover what LTROI was, even though it is a crime drama. For me real horror is when first I am surprised, and then I am horrified-- and then…it lingers. In the glut of vampire fiction, and slice um and dice um horror, real lingering intellectual horror is a beautiful thing—to me.

Lily

message 9: by Shanon (new)

Lily - after watching the movie are you planning on reading the book?

The reason I ask is that I don't know if the book could be categorized as a Crime Drama in any way. It was Horror - not necessarily in a scary way but a "Creep Me Out for Weeks To Come" way.

Another question about the movie for you too... Were the characters likable?

Both Kathryn & I have talked about how we didn't like any of the characters - I had issues with each one of them that prevented me from liking them. I didn't want to see bad things happen to them but not because I was emotionally invested.

message 10: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kathry) I'd have to disagree about the book being a crime drama, though I can't say the same thing for the movie since I haven't seen it. The book is pure horror. One thing I have heard people mention, people who watched the movie first and then read the book, was that they were completely unable to infer Eli's true nature from the movie. I guess there are a lot of things that were lost in the movie, which is to be expected, but I've heard the atmosphere was pretty tense.

message 11: by Lily (new)

Lily (lilithesque) SPOILERS

Sharon and Kathryn,

I am planning to read it. I actually have interlibrary loan request for it. Sometimes things show up quick and other times, not. So I will be able to comment more about the differences then.

The person who asked me that question in fact was not able to sell the book as crime drama either. the editor didn't buy it and I admit its a stretch. The main reason I would call it so is the begining starts with a murder that is so callous, and surprising it starts out looking like a serial murder movie, and then descends into other. Maybe it is just my perverseness that I was intregued to see what a crime drama book group would make of this...and i loved the movie so much I just want everyone to see it/read it.

I love reading/watching sexy dangerous vampires. But there was no way to put this in that box. The sexual tension beteween the "girl" who'd been 12 a very long time, and this angelic looking boy was awkward, and just the way that conflicts with the general vamp genre right now added greatness to the movie for me. I agree about the lingering horror, or creepiness. It was like an aftertaste as I contimplated the boys future and how perfectly he was groomed.

message 12: by Shanon (new)

It is definately a different breed of vampire story then the norm. I hope you get the books soon - I'm VERY curious to see what your thoughts are after.

I've got the movie on my list with Netflix. If I can keep my nose out of a book long enough to watch a movie I'll get it soon & we'll chat about the differences.

message 13: by Lily (new)

Lily (lilithesque) Sounds good.

message 14: by Shanon (new)

I noticed today that Let the Right One In A Novel is available to WIN in a GoodReads First Reads Giveaway. Just go to the book's page and enter to win - there's 20 copies available!

GOOD LUCK to any who enter!

message 15: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Leonard (luvl8r) I want to read the book now, I saw the movie IMDB members voted it one on the best 50 horror movies of all time. Thought it was a stark sad movie that really delved into relationships at its core. But I have to read the book now and see what I missed!!