Souq Okaz - سوق عكاظ discussion

My Name Is Red

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ahlam (last edited Jan 19, 2008 10:38AM) (new)

Ahlam Yankssar | 14 comments Mod
Guess the group is either sleeping or busy with exams! :-)

Me and Sana are now reading "My Name Is Red" . The book can be bought from Jarir Bookstore I was told.

Hope to hear from "any" of you soon!

All the best in your exams.

Regards.

message 2: by Sana (new)

Sana (sano) I, Sana! :D

message 3: by Ahlam (last edited Feb 19, 2008 11:48AM) (new)

Just finished the book and I'm encompassed with melancholy.
The book succeded in making me appreciate art and illumination more than I used to do.

Orhan described very well - although dismalling- the following: Pride, Greed, Lust, Respect, Love War and Spite.

The story took place in the Ottoman's era and Orhan has - astonishingly- inscripted that era as if he was there. he also mastered detailing emotions.

I do not wish to spoil the book for those who did not read it.

but it was a well worth 4 weeks of reading..enjoyed every second of it.

I'd advice to read it with an open mind since Orhan has interpreted some of the Islamic orientations his own way.

Regards.

message 4: by Sana (new)

Sana (sano) As any other Orhan book this took a while to finish but like Ahlam already pointed out, it was worth it.

I liked the narrative style - each chapter is voiced by a different character giving us a varied view of the happenings in the story.

I found the book rich in words, thoughts, as well as images - you conjure them up due to the descriptiveness and depth of the writing, especially of the time spent by Black and Master Osman in the Treasury.

Disliking Shekure wasn't easy even with her indecisiveness and endless manipulations; but in the end I only found her guilty of being a mother and someone who preferred intelligence over giddy emotions, even though at times she was painted as highly vulnerable.

Overall very intriguing and I must say I'm becoming a fan of Orhan Pamuk's writings!

Quoting from the book...

"The beauty and mystery of this world only emerges through affection, attention, interest and compassion; if you want to live in that paradise where happy mares and stallions live, open your eyes wide and actually see this world by attending to its colors, details and irony."

message 5: by أروى (last edited Jun 04, 2008 01:41AM) (new)

أروى | 6 comments لست أدري لم لم أتآلف مع كتب أورهان با موق..

"اسمي أحمر"
و "ثلج"

هي ما حاولت قرائتهما..
أهي الترجمة؟

أم الحبكة المشتتة التي تنتشر في مساحات عدة..

لست أعلم..

أحيانا تكون الأمزجة غير مواتية لنوع معين من القراءة..

بعض الكتب أعطيها فرصة أخرى رغم أنها قلما تنجح..

وبعضها لا أقوى على ذلك..

أورهان من الكتّاب الذين لابد أن أرغم نفسي على إعطائه فرصة ثانية:)

message 6: by Bader (new)

Bader | 22 comments مر علي اسم الكتاب كثيرًا :). ولكن لم أفكر يومًا أن ترجمته
"اسمي أحمر" :)

message 7: by Nojood (new)

Nojood Alsudairi | 45 comments هذا الكتاب يقف "مذنبا" على أحد أرفف مكتبتي الصغيرة منذ ما يعلو على السنة ولم أجروء بعد على قراءته. أظن بأني مستعدة لخوض هذه التجربة في هذا الصيف فشكرا لكم

message 8: by Ahlam (new)

قراءة هذا الكتاب كان تحدياً بالنسبة لي..

و برأيي الشخصي... استحق هذا الكتاب المجهود الذي بذلته في قرائته..

كما ذكرت في تعليقي السابق.. يجب أن يكون لدى القاريء عقل متفتح و متقبل لفهم الكتاب و اعطاؤه قيمته الأدبية..

تحياتي