Blackwater: The Rise of the World's Most Powerful Mercenary Army Blackwater discussion

Mercenary Soldiers

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

John Beecroft A good view of the mercenary element in modern Iraq. Look at the men who substitute for the American soldier in today's military.

Kyle I think it is obvious to see the authors Bias in this book, yet he still does a good job of showing why the US is using Mercenaries. I don't think he painted blackwater in an unfair light. I do not disagree with Mercenaries but I the book opened my eyes to the very small possibility of how a Military overthrow of the government could happen in the US.

Steve Think the more relevent issues are the very conservative politics that shaped the growth of Blackwater and the antics that have pumped a huge amount of money into their pockets. I disagree with merc's when there are no guidelines to their conduct and the alligence to the money rather than a cause or issue.

carlos I am truly sorry but I thought this book was a waste of time. It didn't feed me any new information about Blackwater. The fact that he spent half of the book talking about right wing politics made the book incredibly boring.

Doug I realize I'm two to five years late but, Blackwater couldn't exist without the right wing politics, very relevant.

F.T. Moore Doug wrote: "I realize I'm two to five years late but, Blackwater couldn't exist without the right wing politics, very relevant."

I think in light of the Bradley Manning trial and the Snowden revelations, this book is even more relevant today than when it was written. Blackwater has changed its name, and become more companies, and hidden who owns it. It even moved its headquarters to the Middle East! That we, the American people, do not know who is fighting our wars, and with what motives, is incredibly relevant. Jeremy Scahill did a great job with this book, and it's even more relevant when read along with his newest work, Dirty Wars.

Doug I want to read his new book but haven't gotten to it yet. I agree about the changes in blackwater, the company now appears to have no connection to the one Scahill wrote about.

When I read "Blackwater" I was under the impression that they were one of a few rogue security companies but the book Blood Money: Wasted Billions, Lost Lives, and Corporate Greed in Iraq indicates that this is the story of the majority of contractors.

I wonder if Americans want to know what is going on. The reactions to Snowden and Manning makes me think no.

F.T. Moore I've tried talking to people about it, but most people's eyes glaze over and they change the subject.

Doug That's not so bad. People usually call me a commie and never speak to me again. :)

message 10: by F.T. (new) - rated it 5 stars

F.T. Moore Doug wrote: "That's not so bad. People usually call me a commie and never speak to me again. :)"

haha. My friends already know who I am, so they just add it to the list. But seriously, Scahill's book Dirty Wars put me over the edge. I feel bad about voting for Obama now. Then I followed it up with The Terror Factory,by Aaronson, which is about how the FBI is manufacturing the "terrorist plots" that they are then catching and announcing in the news.

I worry that these two authors have risked their lives writing this stuff. Serious accusations, backed up by real documentation.

message 11: by Doug (new) - rated it 5 stars

Doug I'll add "The Terror Factory" to my list of books to read. I get what you are saying about Obama, he has a worse record than Bush when it comes to issues of freedom but outside of not voting at all, what choice did a person really have. Mccain was/is a scary guy regarding foreign policy and Romney, I have no idea what he actually thought.

message 12: by Doug (new) - rated it 5 stars

Doug Unrelated comment but todays info of a NY woman having her home searched for doing a web search for "pressure cookers" has disturbed me more than anything else in quite a few years.

message 13: by F.T. (new) - rated it 5 stars

F.T. Moore Doug wrote: "Unrelated comment but todays info of a NY woman having her home searched for doing a web search for "pressure cookers" has disturbed me more than anything else in quite a few years."

It's not that unrelated. There's been a corresponding rise in paramilitary SWAT teams invading people's houses all over the country.

message 14: by Doug (new) - rated it 5 stars

Doug Truth isn't very uplifting, maybe that's why so many people turn to religion. After posting here yesterday, another website I was on (don't remember which) one of the ads was for "Dirty Wars" and "The Terror Factory". Dirty wars I was fine with because I've done several searches on it over the last few months, The Terror Factory was a little more disturbing as I'd never heard of it before reading your post yesterday. I'd love to believe it's just coincidence.

Lindsey Graham is on CNN right now talking about how Snowden has probably gotten some people killed.

Wolf: Can you share that with us?
Graham: no.

I'M MAD AS HELL AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE THIS ANYMORE.

message 15: by F.T. (new) - rated it 5 stars

F.T. Moore Something really bad is going on with our govt and I don't quite understand it.

message 16: by Doug (new) - rated it 5 stars

Doug I've signed a few Manning petitions, one for a pardon from the president another for time served to the judge presiding over his trial, both of those petitions were around the 10,000 mark at best. There is a "manning for Nobel peace prize" petition going around, close to 100,000 signatures. Very disingenuous. The movement is more important than the person.