Beantown Bookworms discussion

Favorite Bookstores

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:32AM) (new)

Kate | 2 comments I don't mind going to the big airy chains like B&N (Burlington's is best closest to me), but I love a cute little bookstore. My favorite of all time, Derby Street Books in Salem, is closing! It's stuffed with books, stem to stern, up to the ceiling, in teetering piles.

For Sci-Fi nothing beats http://www.pandemoniumbooks.com/ in Central Square.

message 2: by Jessica (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:32AM) (new)

Jessica Haider (jessicahaider) | 8 comments It is so hard to pick just one... but some of my favorites are...

Newton Mobile Book Fair
Brookline Booksmith
Harvard Bookstore

message 3: by Lane (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:33AM) (new)

Lane | 2 comments Hi group, my name's Lane and I just joined GoodReads, so I thought I'd introduce myself.

While I tend to always go to Harvard Bookstore just because I'm over there a lot, my favorite bookstore in the area has to be Brookline Booksmith. They have a very knowlegeable and friendly staff and I can always spend hours just browsing.

Cheers!

message 4: by Lundy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:11PM) (new)

Lundy | 2 comments I'm a big fan of Back Pages Book in Waltham. The owner is super helpful and is always willing to order books.

(Kate: I used to live in Marblehead. I think Derby Street books has been threatening to close for years.) It'd be a shame if they did -- even though I always feel boxed in there, they have great sales.

message 5: by Audrey (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:11PM) (new)

Audrey | 3 comments I love B and N in Burlington...the last time I was in there, I needed someone to come rescue me!!! Coffee and loads of bookie stuff...paradise. That could be a good meeting place too...When I lived in Providence there was a really sweet little book store that I loved there...

message 6: by Audrey (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:12PM) (new)

Audrey | 3 comments I forgot to mention...Cornerstone books in Salem, MA is great--it's little, but offers a lot...there are author talks and a good selection of book club meets...there's also a book and movie club. Just thought I'd give them a plug :)

message 7: by Dennis (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:17PM) (new)

Dennis Murphy | 1 comments I work near South Station in Boston and try to get to the Brattle Bookstore on a regular basis. They have book carts ouside with prices of $5, $3 and $1. It's pretty much catch as catch can but I love the place

message 8: by CLM (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:17PM) (new)

CLM | 9 comments My favorite is the Bryn Mawr bookstore on Huron Ave in Cambridge, and I try to donate my excess either to them or to More Than Words in Waltham.

message 9: by Rebekah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:29PM) (new)

Rebekah Rhythm & Muse in JP.

It is the ideal local, indie-owned bookstore!

message 10: by Jen (new)

Jen C. I love Harvard Book Store and Brookline Booksmith, mostly for their extensive used and remainder sections. I have never been to Bryn Mawr Book Store though-- I'll have to check that out!

message 11: by Joanie (new)

Joanie | 2 comments I forgot all about the Newton Moblie Book Fair! I used to go there all the time when I worked in Watertown but haven't been there in years. I went to college in Worcester and I used to love to go to Tatnuck Books and Cafe-I wish it was closer. Hopefully it's still open.

message 12: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (rymartin) | 1 comments Hands down -Diskovery in Brighton right on the 57 bus. Literally packed floor to ceiling with used books, this place houses a great selection and a truly knowledgeable staff woman. There are cats, some stools/chairs to sit on while browsing. If you're there for something in particular ask right away because you could be searching on your own for quite a while.

Location used to be in Allson, but was pushed out because of high rent! Keep supporting this place - it's really quite wonderful.

Plus, I second: Rhythm and Muse, Mobile Book Fair, Brattle and all Booksmiths.

message 13: by Kaitlin (new)

Kaitlin (kzmccaff) The Book Shop of Beverly Farms is AMAZING. www.realbookshop.com They have the most knowledgeable staff and a serious passion for books. And you can get any Updike book signed if you don't mind leaving it behind and picking it up later. This is just a gem of an independent and it is in a very sweet neighborhood.

message 14: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 3 comments i'm a big fan of b&n in burlington too. i do like the little corner shop stores, but i don't know... there's just something about b&n that just draws me back there.

message 15: by Erin (new)

Erin (erinw) 1. Yes, Brooklne Booksmith
2. But even better, McIntyre & Moore Booksellers in Davis square.

message 16: by Scott (last edited Jul 28, 2008 12:59PM) (new)

Scott Gillespie (scottg) Derby Street -which I recently visited and found out is not closing- is the most dangerous bookstore I've ever been in. I kept expecting one of those precarious piles to tip over and bury me.

I agree that Pandemonium (née Science Fantasy Bookstore) is the best SF&F bookstore in Massachusetts.

And I hate to be nit-picky, but the name is New England Mobile Book Fair - not "Newton". It's a breathtakingly big bookstore, but I wish it was organized better.

message 17: by Niche (new)

Niche | 2 comments Erin, McIntyre & Moore Booksellers has now moved from Davis Square. I haven't been to it's new location but it's supposed to be closer to Porter Square.

My favorite bookstores are Porter Square Books, Harvard Bookstore and Brookline Booksmith.

message 18: by Juliana (new)

Juliana I've never been to Newton Mobile Book Fair but I hear fabulous things about it. Does anyone have directions to there but using the T and from the North End?

message 19: by CLM (new)

CLM | 9 comments You could take the D line to Newton Highlands, and then it is about 1/2 mile+ walk down Needham Street. It might seem longer walking back with a bag full of books!

message 20: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 7 comments I keep hearing about the book store on Needham Rd but am yet to check it out! I am a big fan of Brookline Booksmith though!

message 21: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (rachelliveshere) McIntyre & Moore is awesome. I'm also a huge fan of Raven Used Books in Harvard Square, they sell classics and academic books (my two favorites!).

I recently moved to JP and have been meaning to check out Rhythm & Muse.

I find Barnes & Noble to be soul-less compared to the other bookshops around town. Most of the smaller stores can special order any book you desire and it will arrive faster than if you buy it online (and you don't pay for shipping!). I used to do that frequently at the Booksmith in Brookline.

message 22: by Dfunky1 (new)

Dfunky1 I really like Schoenhof's in Harvard Square for foreign language learning. It's got a good selection of hard-to-find items.

message 23: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (ser_pez) Schoenhof's is absolutely FANTASTIC...it's amazing for foreign language books. And they have 'The Little Prince' in about twenty languages.
I love Porter Square Books, and I'll have to check out McIntyre & Moore.

message 24: by Tahleen (new)

Tahleen Hi everyone! I'm new here. Well, my favorite bookstore is also B&N in Burlington, but it's also largely because I work there and know that store VERY well. I'll avoid cliches.

message 25: by Jaime (new)

Jaime | 3 comments They just opened a Used Book Superstore in Burlington on 3A a couple months ago...

I've been in there a few times and have walked out w/ bags filled w/ books...and they are so cheap...

message 26: by Roy (new)

Roy (newenglandhiker) | 18 comments Jaime wrote: "They just opened a Used Book Superstore in Burlington on 3A a couple months ago...

There is also one of their stores on 128 in Peabody, at Endicott Street, near Market Basket. It is a good store and they do good works for the community.

message 27: by Antoine (new)

Antoine | 3 comments Kate wrote: "I don't mind going to the big airy chains like B&N (Burlington's is best closest to me), but I love a cute little bookstore. My favorite of all time, Derby Street Books in Salem, is closing!"

I'll believe it when I see it; it has been "closing" for over a decade. On the other hand, most of my favorite bookstores are indeed dead and gone. In fact I see that someone else has pointed out that it is not closing. I'd second Trident on Newbury, Cornerstone in Salem, and the Beverly Farms book shop. Banbury Cross, in Wenham, sells only children's books and the owner has wonderful taste.

But my favorite, hands down, is way out in Montague, MA: The Book Mill: a rambling old mill building filled with secondhand books; it is in the middle of nowhere (the store's motto is "Books you don't need, in a place you can't find.), but it is a spectacularly beautiful nowhere, and it shares the space with a café/wine bar and what is supposed to be an excellent restaurant. Destination Browsing.

message 28: by A13xa9dr1a (new)

A13xa9dr1a | 6 comments Hi group! Boston's A-List came out with the area's top 5 bookstores. Hope your favorite made the list!
http://boston.cityvoter.com/best/book...

message 29: by Anne (new)

Anne Ipsen | 20 comments CLM wrote: "My favorite is the Bryn Mawr bookstore on Huron Ave in Cambridge, and I try to donate my excess either to them or to More Than Words in Waltham."

The neat thing about More than Words is that it is a charity than trains disadvantaged youths in how to run a business. All the books are donated--many the latest best sellers.

message 30: by Dulcinea (new)

Dulcinea | 2 comments A13xa9dr1a wrote: "Hi group! Boston's A-List came out with the area's top 5 bookstores. Hope your favorite made the list!
http://boston.cityvoter.com/best/book..."

Thank you for the list! Trident sounds really good.

message 31: by Maryann (new)

Maryann D'Agincourt Love to browse in Harvard Book Store.

message 32: by A13xa9dr1a (new)

A13xa9dr1a | 6 comments Maryann wrote: "Love to browse in Harvard Book Store."

me too, maryann!! we just got a tiny library here in watertown which is fun to donate/borrow from. Such a fun (and loyal) sense of community sprouts up around books :) http://www.boston.com/news/local/mass...

message 33: by Dulcinea (new)

Dulcinea | 2 comments Maryann wrote: "Love to browse in Harvard Book Store."

The Harvard Book Store is great,but the customer traffic is too much at times. One bathroom! It doesn't really have a quiet corner except by the education section.

message 34: by A13xa9dr1a (new)

A13xa9dr1a | 6 comments Just to revisit, Harvard Bookstore has thrown open its warehouse doors (in somerville) for the next 3 weekends. The books are crazy cheap and, being a warehouse, its as big as it sounds. I picked up 6 hardcover-some first editions- there last weekend for $29. They are also hosting various independent, small publishers and community events in the back room so you can get make some great connections with these locally-based folks. Hope you get to go, its an inexpensive way to stock up the shelves :) http://www.harvard.com/event/warehous...