Doug | 36 comments Mod
Folks,

I have added this topic so we can discuss Nursery Rhyme Crimes. :)doug

message 2: by Caryn (new)

Caryn Discussion looks pretty slow...

message 3: by Doug (new)

Doug | 36 comments Mod
Caryn,

Yes. On the other hand, there was no activity for the first month. I almost deleted the group at that point, but then people started to join.

Please give it some time and feel free to add your comments. :)Doug

message 4: by Katie (new)

Katie (katalia) | 3 comments Although I never read The Portrait of Dorian Gray (sp?) I thought it made a clever side-plot in THE FOURTH BEAR ...

I really just love everything Fforde writes, and that it uses such literary references in such humorous ways.

message 5: by Patrick (new)

Patrick (PW64866) | 3 comments I actually read the NCD novels first, and then later decided to read the Thursday Next novels. As far fetched as the NCD plots can be, I like them better so far then the Next series. Also, I think it is amazing how he has certain characters or plot points from the NCD world thrown into the Next novels - like SommeWorld and Lola Vavoom.

message 6: by Doug (new)

Doug | 36 comments Mod
Patrick,

Actually, Fforde created the Thursday Next series, and then "spun off" the Nursery Rhyme Crime Division. I like the fact that the two series take place within different departments that are somewhat related. :)Doug

message 7: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte (lettalady) | 1 comments I could have sworn that I read on the site that Fforde wrote the NCD series first but it failed publication, hence the Thursday Next series. After that garnered him a public following he went back and massively rewrote The Big Over Easy and The Fourth Bear.
... Then again, I might have just mixed the Thursday Next storyline up with reality... haha.

message 8: by Doug (new)

Doug | 36 comments Mod
Charlotte,

Sorry, I went by publication date, but what you wrote sounds familiar. I think your right that he wrote at least some of the NCD series, it failed initially, so he created the Tursday Next series. Then, as you indicated rewrote the NCD series.

I agree though, that we may be mixing up the Thursday Next storyline with reality...wouldn't that be so like Fforde? :)doug

message 9: by Anne (new)

Anne | 1 comments He did write the first NCD book before the TN series, but it wasn't published until quite a bit later - hence its inclusion in the well of lost plots. :)

message 10: by Whitny (new)

Whitny (whitnyshields) | 3 comments Ya, the captain and the cop in the 2nd or 3rd TN book are in the first NCD. She was trying to help them make their story more interesting. So cute. Love the imagination in these books. He has to be my favorite author. I have read TN series twice and I will read the NCD's again next year probably. So enjoyable.

message 11: by Natlukens (new)

Natlukens | 3 comments I love these books too. Haven't read Fourth bear yet, just read Big Over Easy. I read that there will be another NCD at some point in the future and it might be called The Last Great Tortoise Race. I was afraid he wasn't going to come back to this series because he has been doing Shades of Grey and a YA book I think. I don't know why but I could NOT get into Shades of Grey. I got maybe 20 pages in and it just wasn't keeping my interest. Usually I wouldn't give up like that but it was a "new book" at the library and they have a 2 week limit. Maybe I will give it another go.

message 12: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) I loved Shades of Grey but still haven't gotten to this series. With a new Thursday Next and a new Shades of Grey book coming out, and so many other books I want to read, it may be quite some time.

message 13: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahholroyd) | 1 comments I love these books! Although I read The Fourth Bear first, it was still great. I then moved onto the Thursday Next Series. I would have to say as much as I loved the Thursday Next books, I prefer the Nursery Crime books, and I wish he would write more! Less concentration was required, which was nice and refreshing.

message 14: by Jeanine (new)

Jeanine Halada (Jeanine57) | 8 comments Natlukens wrote: "I love these books too. Haven't read Fourth bear yet, just read Big Over Easy. I read that there will be another NCD at some point in the future and it might be called The Last Great Tortoise Race...."

I have to agree--Shades of Grey is not my favorite--I have been a Fforde fan since the beginning of the Thursday Next novels -- loved the NCD books--and had to go through Germany to get The Last Dragonslayer (worth it--great YAL book -- I teach 9th grade English). Several of my PreAP students have started reading Fforde--his allusions just make it all too fun to read.

message 15: by Jeanine (new)

Jeanine Halada (Jeanine57) | 8 comments Jeanine wrote: "Natlukens wrote: "I love these books too. Haven't read Fourth bear yet, just read Big Over Easy. I read that there will be another NCD at some point in the future and it might be called The Last Gr..."

And when it comes out I will be in line to buy it--or order it through Amazon--our only bookstore closed in March--I think I am going to have to ask Santa for a Kindle--although I hate to do it----I LOVE real books.

message 16: by Maryfox (new)

Maryfox | 1 comments There simply aren't enough of these! The Big Over Easy was ok but I really loved Fourth Bear. Hope there's another NCD before too long.

message 17: by Jeanine (new)

Jeanine Halada (Jeanine57) | 8 comments I actually do to--they are just too much fun:)

message 18: by Beverly (new)

Beverly (bjbixlerhotmailcom) | 1 comments I very much enjoyed the NCD 2 book series. I want more NCD!! I loved the puns and the allusions to fairy tale characters and all the humor.

message 19: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) One is coming but it looks as though not until 2014?!:

http://www.goodreads.com/series/43679...

message 20: by Jen (new)

Jen (JeninSeattle) | 18 comments Heard Jasper speak last night and he said he was definitely planning to re-vist the NCD, but not for awhile. He has some other stuff planned first (i.e. another installment in the Dragonslayer series and the next in the Shades of Gray series). He didn't give any dates, but it's nice to know that more stuff is coming!