Movies We've Just Watched discussion

Waitress

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Beth (new)

Beth We watched this last night. I cried my eyes out. Keri Russell is so beautiful, like a china doll. Jeremy Sisto was so creepy as her husband. I think he played it kind of heavy for this movie. The movie centers around the main character making pies, which made a really fun and colorful motif. The movie seemed to combine light-hearted and cynical elements in kind of an odd way to me, but I finally decided that it worked.
It was great to see a major film role for Nathan Fillion, whom I adore from Firefly and Buffy. I guess it is kind of a well-known fact that Adrienne Shelly, who wrote and acted in the movie, died after it was finished. Wasn't she murdered? I can't remember. Anyway, definitely a movie worth watching. Oh, also great to see Andy Griffith in a role with some actual meat to it.

message 2: by K (new)

K | 39 comments She was murdered sadly, which is an extra shame given how few talented female directors are given any credit these days.

SPOILER AHEAD!!!

I was disappointed at the time that the two did not end up together, but the more I thought about it, the more it fit. A feminist ending, I suppose.

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Beth, I am so glad you said you cried your eyes out. Because I bawled during this movie and I thought maybe I was weird.

message 4: by Beth (new)

Beth SPOILERS, BEWARE!!!

Oh, boy, so many moments in this movie worthy of a few tears. When Andy Griffith says to her, "You know, you're not just some little waitress", I just about lost it.

This movie had so many wonderful "feminine" moments. The movie's acknowledgement of the beauty and sexuality of pregnant women was so lovely. Also, showing her ambivalence toward the pregnancy was refreshing, as that's something I think a lot of women feel. I also loved the mother-daughter relationship themes, as well as the idea of cooking as creative expression. There was a great line, too, I can't remember it verbatim, but something about being a woman, and being poor and afraid---it really struck me.

Gosh, that scene with Keri Russell and Nathan Fillion in her kitchen making a pie, that was so tender and romantic....it certainly didn't hurt that Mr Fillion is sex on a cracker.

message 5: by Ed (new)

Ed | 218 comments Mod
Didn't read the spoilers; can't wait to see this movie.

message 6: by Miss (new)

Miss | 7 comments I watched this movie one night in Taos, when we were too tired to go have fun. SO glad I brought the movie with me. I love quirky films with a good story. This one made me laugh and cry. I would probably buy this one and watch it again now and then.

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Beth, personally I think he's sex on toast, but that's the difference between you and me. :)

Yeah, I loved that scene in the kitchen. I don't want to give anything away plot-wise, but for those "in the know" I'll just say I bawled when Keri Russell was in the wheelchair after having the baby. That whole scene made me extremely emotional.

And I loved Ogie. :)

message 8: by lilias (new)

lilias SPOILERSSSSS

I feel like I watched a different movie. I got so angry at Nathan Fillion's character. I thought he was almost as awful to Keri's character as her husband (almost). He was cheating on his wife (I felt so bad for her the whole time), he wouldn't leave his wife for Keri even though he told her he loved her over and over so I just thought of it as manipulation, and he never once offered to help her in any way other than frequent booty calls.

But I really loved the scenes with the 3 waitresses. I thought there were some really funny lines and lovely moments.

I just don't like it when a movie is trying to tell me "this is romantic" & I sit there saying "no it's not!"

message 9: by Kyle (new)

Kyle (kylewilk) | 12 comments agreed SPOILERS a movie with two distinct sides...on one hand, a simple story, simply beating you over the head with sweetness (with and without the pies), and, as you say, telling you how to feel...boy i hate that...overdoing it on the boyfriend character (his character was way too one-dimensional in his meanness)...predictable in so many ways...and YES the cheating husband: where was the wife??? how did THAT get brushed under the rug so blithely when the whole movie was otherwise trying to say such positive things...almost opposite things...holding up truth above all. and on the other, certain aspects of the movie weren't too bad (my 13 yr old girl LOVED it), and i certainly enjoy kerri russell...i'm human after all...and i like that she took her stand at the end, but OH MY GOODNESS i didn't need to eat any sweet pies for a week. guess i'm bored at work if THIS is what i'm talking about. :) hv a nice weekend. by the way....i gotta rent fried green tomatoes...what an incredible movie, but it's been so long, i can barely remember it...

message 10: by lilias (new)

lilias Fried Green TOmatoes is one of the best movies ever oh I LOVE it!

message 11: by Kyle (new)

Kyle (kylewilk) | 12 comments agreed. are you a netflix afficionado?

message 12: by lilias (new)

lilias Yeah kind of. I'm a bit pissed at them lately b/c I had to report one dvd as missing 4 times in a row.

message 13: by Branden (new)

Branden (bjoycer98) I finally saw this movie the other night and I just thought it was beautiful. It was such a wonderful way to portray what most people feel at some point in their lives...and that is that feeling of "what's next, how to I go on better from here".
I love the little insights into Keri Russell's characters mind when she would make up a new pie. Just a really well put together movie.

message 14: by Sarah (last edited Jan 26, 2008 12:27PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) SPOILERS

See, one of the things I liked about it was how Keri's character realized that the wife wasn't a monster. She cheated because her husband was horrible and I think she probably assumed the wife was bad too. But when she saw her at the hospital and saw how cute and sweet she was and how she seemed to love her husband, Keri realized that she needed to end the affair. I think she realized then that Dr. Whatshisname wasn't any better of a husband than her own was.

I'm not saying it's OK to cheat in any circumstances, I just think Keri's transformation was really well done.

message 15: by Caroline Cantner (new)

Caroline Cantner | 3 comments Just saw this last night - it was great and more layered the more I think about it - I think that the key to the cheating issue for this movie is the relationship between ***SPOILER SPOILER*** Cal and the blond waitress (sorry, forget her name...) and the conversations Keri's character has with both of them regarding it...life isn't black and white - I don't think Dr. was terrible - I think he was genuine in his feelings for her but weak and she specifically asked him *not* to save her....

incidentally, when this came out in the theaters I vaguely remembered a tragedy surrounding the director - anyone know what happened? it is so sad to lose such a talent so early in her career....

message 16: by Jillian (new)

Jillian (mother_of_dinosaurs) I watched this movie tonight and loved it. I've been a Keri Russell fan since Felicity. She's a wonderful actress. Andy Griffith was great in this movie also.

message 17: by Rebecca (last edited Mar 14, 2008 05:03PM) (new)

Rebecca (RebeccaBird) | 8 comments I LOVED THIS MOVIE!!

Adrienne Shelley (Who was also the sweet friend who marries the geeky boy in the movie.) was murdered last year in her apartment in NYC just as Waitress was accepted to Sundance. She was complaining about the noise that a maintenance man was making and he came up to her apartment to confront her, strangled her and hung her from her shower. Horrible. Her baby was sleeping in the next room. It makes me sad that Adrienne will never make another movie. I would have waited with bated breath for her next one.

message 18: by Holli (new)

Holli I loved this movie too...it stayed with me for awhile.....I think those are ALWAYS the best kinds!!

message 19: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 13 comments I just watched this movie today and I loved it. I thought it was very different, and all of the actors did wonderfully. Jeremy Sisto did a great job of making me hate him, and Keri Russel did a great job of evoking so many emotions. I wish that her and Nathan Fillion had ended up together in the end but it just brought home the point that she knew what they were doing was wrong, and that it shouldn't continue. Her transformation was terrific. I didn't know until after I watched the film what had happened to Adrienne. That was heart wrenching, especially upon finding out that the adorable little girl in the end was her daughter. Such a great movie.

message 20: by Pat (new)

Pat | 24 comments I really enjoyed the movie; but loved your "sex on a cracker" line! I'd never heard that one before but will remember it, for sure. I think the marriage of cooking and creative expression is, or is becoming, a familiar theme; I've enjoyed "Pushing Daisies"..the tv show that premiered in September. Frankly, since the strike, I don't even know if it's on any more; but found it's quirky storyline and talented cast to be very appealing.

message 21: by Serena (new)

Serena | 44 comments Wow, I was undecided about Netflixing this one, but after skimming these we're going to have to watch it!

message 22: by Alison (last edited Jul 07, 2008 03:53PM) (new)

Alison I'm a little behind the times...but I just watched this. I wouldn't necessarily call this one of my *favorites* (a little of the plot points and characters seemed a bit too familiar)...but at least two things about this movie were stand-out to me, namely...

1. The pies (loved the way she came up with the pies, and loved the visual effects of the pies). I want to make pies!!!
2. Andy Griffith. I'm so saddened he wasn't nominated for an Oscar for this...it would have been such a nice triubte. I thought he did for this film what Hal Holbrook did for Into the Wild...probably got less notice because it was more comic than dramatic. I just *loved* the connection he had with Jenna.

I'd never seen this Nathan "sex on a cracker" Fillion before...but after much intense speculation, I decided what makes him so hot (well, at least one thing)...His Hair. The man's got good hair.

SPOILER!!

I'm so glad the two didn't end up together. It just goes to show that we don't always need a "happily ever after" to appreciate a relationship that comes along just at the right time and helps to clear up some of confusion we might be experiencing at the time. (Kind of follows along the "it's not the destination, it's the journey" line of philosphy). Not that I advocate adultery. But you know...the friendship aspect of their relationship really helped them both put things in perspective.

:)

message 23: by Jim (new)

Jim (jim_) For a chick flick (I don't often watch that genre) it was good. It was like watching an updated version of Mel's Diner with real emotions. I loved all of the culinary delights from a slice of the "kick in the pants pie" to the "I hate my husband pie". I will say that it's not everyday that actresses are given the opportunity that Kerri Russell received on the close up shots and the long episodic soliqouys. She did make good on those opportunities.