Philip K Dick discussion

what do you think? > Some quotes I like

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jason (last edited Jan 18, 2008 10:56PM) (new)

Jason Feel free to add your own quotes of Dick's that you like. Wikiquote is a great source. I like these:

Barefoot conducts his seminars on his houseboat in Sausalito. It costs a hundred dollars to find out why we are on this Earth. You also get a sandwich, but I wasn't hungry that day. John Lennon had just been killed and I think I know why we are on this Earth; it's to find out that what you love the most will be taken away from you, probably due to an error in high places rather than by design. -transmigration of timothy archer

Whom gods notice they destroy. Be small... and you will escape the jealousy of the great. –high castle

I, for one, bet on science as helping us. I have yet to see how it fundamentally endangers us, even with the H-bomb lurking about. Science has given us more lives than it has taken; we must remember that. -interview

The true measure of a man is not his intelligence nor is it how high he rises in this freak establishment. No, the true measure of a man is this: how quickly he can respond to the needs of others and how much of himself he can give. -interview?

Because today we live in a society in which spurious realities are manufactured by the media, by governments, by big corporations, by religious groups, political groups...So I ask, in my writing, What is real? Because unceasingly we are bombarded with pseudo-realities manufactured by very sophisticated people using very sophisticated electronic mechanisms. I do not distrust their motives; I distrust their power. They have a lot of it. And it is an astonishing power: that of creating whole universes, universes of the mind. I ought to know. I do the same thing.

[Philip K.] Dick's fiction calls up our basic cultural assumptions, requires us to reexamine them, and points out the destructive destinations to which they are carrying us. The American Dream may have succeeded as a means of survival in the wilderness of early America; it allowed us to subdue that wilderness and build our holy cities of materialism. But now, the images in Dick's fiction declare, we live in a new kind of wilderness, a wasteland wilderness, because those cities and the culture that built them are in decay. We need a new American dream to overcome this wasteland.

* Patricia S. Warrick, Mind in Motion: The Fiction of Philip K. Dick (1987)

message 2: by Hertzan (new)

Hertzan Chimera (hertzanchimera) | 225 comments "I conceived of an object existing in three axes--colour, math and music simultaneously." PKD talking about his unfinished novel THE OWL IN DAYLIGHT.