Elizabeth E. Wein Fans discussion

What books have been your inspiration as a writer ?

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 1 comments Elizabeth,
what books have inspired you to write your great books ? I loved the Winter Prince.

message 2: by Elizabeth, Mummy Thing (new)

Elizabeth (ewein) | 3 comments Mod
Ok, better late than never, right? For The Winter Prince, Alan Garner's Alderley Edge books and The Owl Service were probably the most obvious direct influence, along with "Math ap Mathonwy" (the 4th branch) of the Mabinogion, which is related to The Owl Service. And lots of Arthurian stuff, notably Mary Stewart's Merlin books.

But some of the things that influenced me when I was writing The Sunbird, which takes place in Ethiopia, are less obvious. (I think it goes without saying that The Odyssey was an influence!) St. Exupery's Wind, Sand and Stars gave me a lot of my "dying of thirst" material (including the idea that your enemy is your friend when he gives you water in the desert), and I read a lot of George Adamson and Joy Adamson for information about keeping lions as pets. And I also pulled a lot of scene-setting stuff out of Ernest Hemingway's short stories.

How about The Finest Hour, the book made from the BBC series on the Battle of Britain? Believe it or not I managed to get a whole chapter of The Sunbird out of this.... It's called "A Dogfight," which was kind of meant to be a pun.

So... adventure and heroism and the natural world.... with a bit of legend thrown in!

message 3: by Sara, Chicken thing (new)

Sara | 3 comments Mod
Doesn't king Arthor have something to do with your inspiration?

message 4: by Elizabeth, Mummy Thing (new)

Elizabeth (ewein) | 3 comments Mod
well, yes.

the King Arthur books that most influenced were those Mary Stewart books I mentioned. The Crystal Cave and The Hollow Hills. And also T.H. White's The Once and Future King... which SOME MIGHT SAY I have been recommending to a certain young person for SOME TIME NOW...