The Cloud of Unknowing The Cloud of Unknowing discussion

Another very good novel from Cook

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Roger (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:31AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Roger Cook writes great suspense/psychological fiction. He is on my list to read at least one every summer, and he is the only one I've stuck with, except maybe for Robert Cormier (but he is rereads at this point). Nobody paces a book as well as Thomas H. Cook. He gives you just enough information at just the right time. Subtle clues fill in missing information. In this novel, Cook tells a significant portion in second person perspective, which is extremely difficult, therefore extremely rare. Since the book deals with a general theme of schizophrenia in one of the main characters, whose voice that is remains a mystery. . . . Great use of visual imagery, literary allusions, and a bit of vaguely mystical/philosophical concepts, too. A little abrupt with the ending, unlike a couple of his earlier novels, but good enough for a two-night read at the beginning of the summer.
RF
p.s. EVIDENCE OF BLOOD, THE CHATHAM SCHOOL AFFAIR, BREAKHEART HILL, and INSTRUMENTS OF NIGHT might be better intros to Cook's work.

Leslie I got to read an advanced reader's copy, and I couldn't put it down. I didn't even know it was a mystery, probably wouldn't have chosen it if I had known. I really liked this book, it was creepy and surprising and kept me guessing, all the way to the end.