Harry Potter Super Freaks discussion

discussion ?'s > the golden compas

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 91 comments Mod
what do you think about the golden compass?
to read or not to read.

message 2: by Bronwyn (new)

Bronwyn (brownie789) | 28 comments i read the first...confusing, but readable. The third is reportedly VERY atheist.

message 3: by Katherine (new)

i was not allowed to read the books because our paster said they were VERY anti Christian.

message 4: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (outlanderbookfan) | 3 comments I am not even interested. I don't read much fantasy, so HP was good enough for me!

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm not interested in reading it at all. i have heard that they kill god in the books and that contradicts everything i believe in. Plus the author wrote it because he didn't like C.S. Lewis's books and C.S. Lewis is one of my favorite authors.

message 6: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (ophelia17) | 10 comments I read the first two and loved tham but could never get into the third which is when all the killing god stuff happens. it's not about killing god it's about adam and eve (reincarnations) destroying the fake creator who DID kill god. but there are angels in it who are very good and the story of the first one is really good. so read the first one which doesn't have much atheism in it.
ps. if these books are too atheist, DO NOT read The DA Vinci Code. it's about how the church lies (fiction)

message 7: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 19 comments i'm barely reading it and it's pretty good so far. the killing god thing doesn't happen until the third book.

message 8: by Bronwyn (new)

Bronwyn (brownie789) | 28 comments ya, i think the 1rst 1 is worth reading
as to Anna's comment, the author said he is "trying to do for atheism what C.S. Lewis did for Christianity"

basically, he's trying to get kids not to be christians after reading his books

message 9: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (dwell_ondreams) I read them & wasn't impressed.

message 10: by George (new)

George (pagesandportraits) to be honest i thought the film of the first book was really good. but then i read the book and they missed a HUGE chunk off the end.

message 11: by Katherine (new)

i just dont agree at all i dont think ANYONE should read them... it made me sooo mad when my school library did a book talk about them and encouraged like every kid in the school to read them

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

No offense meant to anyone, but u need 2 understand that everyone has different views. I, for one, thought this was a great book.

message 13: by Pandy (new)

Pandy I loved The Golden Compass. After the Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings books, this one is my favorite. In The Amber Spyglass, god is not really killed. The Authority is only the first angel, calling himself god. I don't believe in god, but I still think these books can be enjoyable. My main reason I read them over and over again is because I love Mrs. Coulter. I don't mean I think she was a good person with great moral values or something, I just felt she redeemed herself in the end. Her character gave me the same plaesure about reading about her as did the character of Severus Snape. I believe, the Subtle Knife, the second book, is the weakest of the trilogy. It seemed far too short.

message 14: by Christina♥ (new)

Christina♥  | 102 comments never read the Golden Compass...should i? :)

message 15: by Pandy (new)

Pandy In my opinion Christina, you should definitely read it. Whatever you believe, this book and the two after it make you think.
The Golden Compass is the best of the trilogy. The second is shorter and does not have as vivid writing. I don't have any problem with the Authority being killed in the final book, but the plot is not as smooth.

message 16: by Christina♥ (new)

Christina♥  | 102 comments okay I'll check it after I get a few more comments on if I should read it or not. :) thx Pandy!

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

I read the first one but not the second two... the first one was Kind of confusing, but I liked it.