Historic Philadelphia Dining Society discussion

Actual Restaurants

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Renee (new)

Renee | 12 comments Hey, maybe we can actually use this as a place to find good restaurants? Well, I'll try it out.

A colleague of mine said that Vallani (12th and Spruce) and Osteria (6th and Broad and a cheaper version of Vetri by same chef) are great. If anyone is looking to try these out, just let me know!

Renee

message 2: by Renee (new)

Renee | 12 comments Oh yeah, also Ortlieb's Jazzhaus - not even for the food but for the jazz. I'm ready to go anytime!!

message 3: by Stephen (new)

Stephen | 15 comments There is an amazing looking McDonalds on 52nd and Chestnut that I want to go to as well. So of the four suggestions lets decide with the cheapest.

message 4: by Renee (new)

Renee | 12 comments Steve - good idea! How about we go to the cheapest restaurant for your birthday? You supersize on your special day!! Renee

message 5: by Ken (new)

Ken M Hello.

As far as Osteria, 6th & Broad do not meet. Are you speaking of Hoteria de Elio, which is at 3rd & South?

Ken

message 6: by Micah (new)

Micah Issitt (micahissitt) | 9 comments Mod
Good point Ken. 6th and broad cannot meet because they are parallel. Also, they hate each other. Same old story, 6th grew up in the jets and broad was in the sharks.

message 7: by Renee (new)

Renee | 12 comments ah yes, osteria is at 640 n. broad, not 6th and broad. thankfully or tony and maria would never have met, fell in love and tony gotten killed.

message 8: by Abby (new)

Abby (afg5) | 2 comments Valanni's not bad, but I prefer BYO's (Valanni's drinks are like ten bucks each). Never been to Osteria.

message 9: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 1 comments osteria has the best pizza that i've had in philadelphia-super hot oven, ya know. also great wine by the glass. sit at the bar, talk wine with the bartenders.
oh, don't order pasta.

message 10: by Stephen (new)

Stephen | 15 comments How is Pietro's Coal Oven Pizza? I keep walking by it, and staring at the people who are eating. They are seeming to enjoy it, that is until they notice me there...staring. Sometimes, I'll write notes on napkins and press them up to the glass, begging people for their crusts. Since management has made it clear that they don't want me around, and won't serve me, even if I try to pay with a stolen JCB card, I was wondering how it is?

message 11: by Renee (new)

Renee | 12 comments Sometimes when I'm walking along Walnut st, i lean over the railing at Pietro's and dive face first into someone's pizza. I'm not sure why they get so pissed off though... it really is a compliment.

I'm wondering if anyone wants to go to Vietnam. not the restaurant in Chinatown, which was voted top 50 by Philly magazine, but if anyone wants to hop a redeye to Vietnam for a good dinner. Sure it's a bit more expensive but isn't it worth it?

message 12: by Dan (new)

Dan | 9 comments Pietro's is pretty serviceable. Not bad, but not like outstanding or something. As I recall, they have huge salads. Probably somewhere I would go if I had a big group coming in from out of town with kids.

message 13: by Stephen (new)

Stephen | 15 comments Yes on Vietnam, via a time machine, I'm thinking let's aim for early '60s. And thanks for the perspective on Pietro's (and that's a serious thanks, not me being sarcastic like I am almost all of the time).

message 14: by Dan (new)

Dan | 9 comments I'm down for Vietnam.

message 15: by Stephen (last edited Feb 24, 2008 09:41AM) (new)

Stephen | 15 comments The only thing about Vietnam, I've got a penchant for playing Asian games of chance, in dank, smoke filled basements. Once drawn in, I can only be removed after losing all of my money or winning at Russian Roulette (I'm 2-0 so far). In the event that I start towards a seedy outfit where people are smoking and playing cards with dominoes, I kindly ask that you hit me in the back of the head with a blackjack (I will provide one for you as soon as we arrive in the country) and set me in front of some pho. I will thank you, once I come to.

message 16: by Dan (new)

Dan | 9 comments I love the smell of napalm in the morning.

message 17: by Renee (new)

Renee | 12 comments napalm and pho - what a great combo! i'm down :)

message 18: by Stephen (new)

Stephen | 15 comments The smell of napalm is great, although I don't like it so much in the morning. It clashes with something I eat for breakfast and produces a real bad smell/taste reaction. Similar to drinking orange juice after brushing your teeth. I much prefer the smell of napalm around dusk.