The Sword and Laser discussion

May I Ask a Favor From Those Posting Book Links in Threads?

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 1212 comments Please, please, please use the title rather than the cover when using the add book/author function. There a little button at the bottom of the dialogue box. I sometimes use the mobile app to read GoodReads threads and covers don't show in the posts. Even on my computer, it's really hard to tell what book is being mentioned from the cover. At least on the computer, I can hover and see the title.

Thank you.

message 2: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4203 comments Hah! I wondered if I was the only one who couldn't read them.

message 3: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8768 comments Bugs me, too. I just skip those posts, honestly.

message 4: by Kim (last edited Apr 15, 2013 06:30PM) (new)

Kim | 477 comments Yeah I've always disliked it when people link covers instead of titles.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Same here. Rather annoying on a mobile device.

message 6: by Doug (new)

Doug Hoffman (dshoffman) | 62 comments Agree! I have a nice big monitor at home . . . still can't read those teensy weensy book covers.

message 7: by Daran (new)

Daran | 599 comments While I completely agree with the suggestion, if you mouse over the cover, you get the book title.

message 8: by Gordon (new)

Gordon McLeod (mcleodg) | 347 comments Daran wrote: "While I completely agree with the suggestion, if you mouse over the cover, you get the book title."

That's useful on a computer with a mouse, but for mobile/touch devices, it doesn't help.

message 9: by Daran (new)

Daran | 599 comments D S wrote: "Agree! I have a nice big monitor at home . . . still can't read those teensy weensy book covers."

I was responding to this.

But I'll restate, I can't think of a situation where the cover is preferable to the title link, since you can find the cover by clicking on the link.

message 10: by Louise (new)

Louise (louiseh87) Daran wrote: "I can't think of a situation where the cover is preferable to the title link, since you can find the cover by clicking on the link. "

I was wondering if there was some reason for it I'd missed. I just skip those posts at the moment because the images are so tiny. They're like the default for the recommendations panel, which displays lists of books by cover - I've noticed some books don't even have a visible title on the cover.

message 11: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Lawston (andrewlawston) | 52 comments Agreed - I occasionally post the cover thumbnails, but only where I've posted the link elsewhere. And if I'm only doing the one, then it's no contest - the link every time.

message 12: by Darren (new)

Darren Maybe eventually they'll fix this app so it displays the covers.

message 13: by Kate (new)

Kate O'Hanlon (kateohanlon) | 778 comments Daran wrote: "I can't think of a situation where the cover is preferable to the title link, since you can find the cover by clicking on the link. "

We've occasionally had threads about book covers, so it makes sense there.
Otherwise I agree with the general tone of the thread.

message 14: by Robert of Dale (new)

Robert of Dale (r_dale) | 185 comments For those of us who are relatively new or don't use the mobile app much, can you point to a thread that might have inspired this request? I'm not sure if I've done this myself, so I'd like to see an example so I can avoid this in the future.

message 15: by Darren (last edited May 15, 2013 10:47AM) (new)

Darren Sometimes I like seeing the cover. I do wish they'd fix the mobile app, though. It's all sorts of broken.

message 16: by Louise (new)

Louise (louiseh87) Robert of Dale wrote: "For those of us who are relatively new or don't use the mobile app much, can you point to a thread that might have inspired this request? I'm not sure if I've done this myself, so I'd like to see a..."

The older "What are you Reading in..." threads might help, e.g. the first page of the March thread (http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...). There's a couple of posts there with only covers. I don't like the way they disrupt the text spacing :)

message 17: by Robert of Dale (new)

Robert of Dale (r_dale) | 185 comments Louise wrote: "Robert of Dale wrote: "For those of us who are relatively new or don't use the mobile app much, can you point to a thread that might have inspired this request? I'm not sure if I've done this mysel..."

How odd. I've done this before, but it wasn't a choice that I made; the default was the book cover (and it wasn't obvious to me while composing that it was going to be a cover). But just now, I added a link to Wool Omnibus, and it defaulted to a link (way down at the bottom of the search results--what a terrible place to put that choice).

I wonder if I changed that at some point, or if the forum admins changed the default...