The Rory Gilmore Book Club discussion

Gilmore Girls Discussions > Book Discussion Tie-In

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Arctic (new)

Arctic | 571 comments Being the uber-dork that I am, I was wondering if Amy S-P had any rhyme or reason in her book selections for her episodes. And it seems to me that reading through Rory's books gives the perfect opportunity to explore this.

SO, yesterday I watched the two episodes in which our current book selections (Atonement and Northanger Abbey) appear. For anyone who would like to do the same, these are the episodes:

Atonement - Season Four, Episode 3 - The Hobbit, The Sofa, and Digger Stiles - Rory is seen reading the book twice during her first week at Yale.

Northanger Abbey - Season Four, Episode 4 - Beef or Chicken - Rory is seen reading the book while sitting in the gazebo in town square, eating fries, and listening to music.

Supposing the books were intentionally inserted into their respective episodes, why were they chosen? How is the book reflected in the episode and visa versa?

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) I don't know, but I think it's really interesting that our two January books were in back-to-back episodes. I guess it was the right pairing after all!

message 3: by Dottie (last edited Jan 18, 2008 06:19PM) (new)

Dottie  (oxymoronid) | 698 comments I'll echo what Sarah said -- that was a real lightbulb discovery -- thanks Heather for looking these up -- I'll have to watch those episodes and do some thinking.

message 4: by Arctic (new)

Arctic | 571 comments Yes I thought it was interesting that the books were featured one after the other as well. I wonder if she'd just read Atonement and noticed the front quotation of Northanger as we had, or what.

message 5: by Meghan (new)

Meghan OMG! Is the Hobbitt on our list? YAY! (does reference in the title of the show count?)

Great work Heather!

message 6: by Meghan (new)

Meghan I think you can see how Atonement would work - especially with the whole Gilmore "upper class" family and how Lorelai tried to work within that life and her life in Stars Hollow. Digger Stiles is the "proper" choice in certain senses (appropriate family, good job, well spoken, well read, handsome, etc.). Luke on the other hand drinks beer, drives a beat up truck, and owns a diner he refuses to franchise (ah, I LOVE the golf scene with Richard). Plus Lorelai is rather like Cecilia in the sense that she is trying to break free of her life and yet cannot just outright walk away.

message 7: by Arctic (new)

Arctic | 571 comments Specific to the episode with Atonement featured in it though, it was tough to see the similarities.

The best I've been able to come up with so far is that the episode deals a bit with class issues in that Emily is trying to use her influence to get Rory places even though Rory would rather she didn't (e.g. the furniture for the common room). Leon and Cecilia are similar to her in this respect in that they don't do what they're parents wish they would or what class status would typically require of them.

Marty may be a loose reference to Robbie in that he's publicly embarrassed at the party, but even that's pretty iffy. There's also the twin cousins that show up unexpectedly, and since Rory is entering college, her freshman naivety could be likened to Briony in some ways. She also wants to spend all her time in her books and has to be convinced to do otherwise. Paris talks about rewriting her life with the fresh start she's been given at college, since no one knows the old her; in the end though she can't avoid being herself. That's about as close to godly atonement as it gets.

The book itself pops up first when Rory goes to her first Shopping Week class, meets Marty for the first time, and gets derisively called "Freshman" by the professor. The next time we see the book, Rory has retreated from the dorm party to her room to read. She soon second guesses herself though and returns to the party. So it would seem to emphasize the naivety and fresh start aspects.

I thought the Northanger episode was a much easier tie in, but I'll save that for another day.

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Both mothers' names are Emily! (sorry, just had to point out the obvious)

message 9: by Arctic (new)

Arctic | 571 comments Must be a good matriarchal name. Who knew McEwan was a GG watcher?

message 10: by whichwaydidshego?, the sage of sass (new)

whichwaydidshego? (whichwaydidshego) | 1996 comments Mod
But tell us the Northanger Abbey tie-in, please! I'm on the run for the next week, so don't have time to check it out myself.

My (younger) brother is getting married in a week! Crazy!!

message 11: by Arctic (new)

Arctic | 571 comments Well I haven't finished NA (hoping to tonight), so I haven't looked at the comparison too closely yet. When I was watching the episode though, this part immediately jumped out at me:

Lorelai: You know what, I've learned something very valuable here today. (Come on in. Sit down there. Take a load off.) Very valuable.
Luke: Good.
Lorelai: I've had a business epiphany. It's like I'm Bud Fox, saying, "Thanks for the lesson, Mr. Gekko."
Luke: This will pass, folks.
Lorelai: The Lorelai you knew is dead. Remember her? The eager to please, fresh of face? She thought that success in business meant working hard, applying yourself, and respecting your co-workers, and she preached that to others - oh, little child.
Luke: You should probably get some rest.
Lorelai: It's about scratching backs, my friend, and kissing things - I won't be graphic.
Luke: It is Sunday morning.
Lorelai: It's dirty, that's what business is. It's smoke-filled back rooms with exposed pipes and shady players chewing on fat cigars and twirling their dirty mustaches. And when you go into those rooms, you can't be a milquetoast muppet. You have to have pointy teeth and jaws that snap. The meek shall not inherit the earth!

message 12: by Shaindel (new)

Shaindel | 54 comments Does anyone know about this book?

Gilmore Girls and the Politics of Identity: Essays on Family and Feminism in the Television Series
by Ritch Calvin

One of my friends who ISN'T in the Gilmore Girl group (that I know of) just added it to his "To Read" list. WOW!

~S

message 13: by Arctic (last edited Apr 29, 2008 10:34PM) (new)

Arctic | 571 comments didn't know about it before but I know about it now and will definitely check it out if I can! Sounds really interesting to me. Thanks for pointing it out. :)

looks like it's being released on June 15, according to Amazon. so exciting! might have to ask for it for my birthday.

message 14: by Becca (new)

Becca | 26 comments Thanks for telling us about it. I'm a sucker for television scholarship!

message 15: by Meghan (new)

Meghan Okay, didn't know where to post this. But did anyone else read the YA books related to the show? I think they did like 4. They were based on the episodes (I think they squeezed a couple of eps into one book). It reminded me of Sweet Valley High of yore.

message 16: by Taryn (new)

Taryn (anotherdesperatehousewife) | 81 comments Shaindel wrote: "Does anyone know about this book?

Gilmore Girls and the Politics of Identity: Essays on Family and Feminism in the Television Series
by Ritch Calvin

One of my friends who ISN'T in the Gilmo..."

I am SUPER interested in reading this but it is only available on Amazon. Has anyone else read it and can comment on it??