Daily Diary discussion

Reading Habits > Finishing books

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (sardonicprincessofcheerfulness) I am approaching the end of a damn good read...Ken Follett's 'World Without End'....I like a good story. Does anyone else do what I am doing now...slowing it down, treating myself to a little bit every now and then...prolonging the pleasure!! Once it is finished....*sigh*.

message 2: by Diane (new)

Diane  (dianedj) Yes, Debbie, sometimes I HATE to finish a book...it can be like ending daily friendships with folks and places that you have gotten to know intimately.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Ha, I am doing that exact thing right now with The Blind Assassin! I have less than 100 pages left, and I'm reading about 5 pages at a time.

Finishing a great book is like ending a relationship!

message 4: by Ed (new)

Ed | 237 comments Mod
I really, really loved The Blind Assassin...what a tremendous book!

message 5: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (loveliesdiva) | 8 comments I know, feeling the book getting narrower in your right hand, I hate that feeling especially when its a book you've fallen in love with, I did that with Jane Eyre, I wanted it to keep going.

message 6: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) Yes, I do this a lot. Sometimes it takes a while to find a book that I can't wait to pick up again. I will think about it lying beside my bed all day long. Then I think of the hours before I can finally lie down and start in on the story.

When I love the book I want it to keep going, too.

message 7: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 100 comments I felt the same way you did with World Without End. I didn't mind finishing Pillars of the Earth because I knew WWE was waiting for me.

When I am loving a book I am happy that it is a long read. But I do slow down when I am near the end because I loved living in a different world for a while.

message 8: by Peanut (new)

Peanut I'm the opposite. I'm so excited to be getting to the end of a book that I tend to read quicker...but that causes me to miss small things that happened. Then I have to go back and skim the last few pages to pick up on a minor detail I missed. That happened a lot with the Harry Potter series.

message 9: by Melissa (new)

Melissa I get too excited towards the end and can't stop until I'm done. My poor family can always tell when I'm close to finishing something because I'm short with them and get huffy if they interrupt! I can't help it! I'm worse when there is another book in the series or by the author that I can read next.

message 10: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) Peanut, sometimes I savor the ending and sometimes I hurry along impatiently, too. I regret doing this with HP: Deathly Hallows because I missed so much in the last few chapters. But I felt guilty because my husband graciously let me read it first and he was dying to read it, too.

Melissa, when I'm enjoying a book I sneak off to the back bedroom and disappear. My little boy probably thinks he's motherless at times. I really did this with the last HP book. My husband became a widow.