YA and KidLit to Film discussion

Coraline

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

How was it? I still haven't seen it. It slipped through the cracks with all the good movies that came out at the same time. I have heard good things.

message 2: by Cathy (new)

Cathy I went to see it with my son(grown) and some friends. It took me by surprise. I really liked it. The stop frame animation was great! The busty sisters were a bit too freaky for my tastes, though. I think that part plus the story line would have been a bit scary for my 10 year old.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Yea, well I think that's good. The book was freaky and I was afraid that they would soften the movie for younger viewers. I thought it would have been amazing as a drawn animated movie [as the illustrations in the book are nightmarish:] but that really isn't done anymore.

message 4: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 24, 2009 07:41AM) (new)

Wow! Just finished watching the movie. It was CREEPY. I loved it but little kids be warned. This is the type of film you remember forever because you don't sleep for a week. It really did justice to the creepiness factor in the book. The scene where the Other Mother's face and body stretch, the ghosts of the children [expecially the one whose jaw was hanging open:], and Wybie's stitched open smile....yikes! Love it.

Its been a long while since I've read Coraline but....was there a Wybie character?

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

silverstream wrote: "no, there was not a wybie in the book coraline."

Wow! I didn't think so. He fit into the story beautifully.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

silverstream wrote: "I know! I think they did a great job turning the book into a film, they left out the extremly scary parts so kids could see it, and they also made many dark parts funny."

I still thought it was scary though, enough so that kids will lose some sleep ;]

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

silverstream wrote: "Well, in the movie they left out the exetremly freaky part that ggave me nightmares

the part where the other mother sends coraline to her room, (she says thats where one of the marble things were...."

Def! I forgot about that part. I wish they would have left it.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

The illustrations in the book were amazing! They could scare the crap out of most adults. I was a little discouraged that the film wasn't going to be a classic animation movie (how sick would that have been?!) But the 3D animation didn't let me down.

message 9: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell (rabbitearsblog) | 8 comments I loved this movie too!! I was so glad that it kept up with the scary tone of the book and the added special effects in the movie did the book justice.