The Black Circle Readers discussion

The Wrong Impression

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 18, 2008 08:20AM) (new)

I saw a guy on here saying that he won't friend you easily especially if you're just pushing your book. So, if you have an author profile like me, I guess you're considered guilty right away.

The way I've been friending people is if a lot of their interests match mine, I'll ask them to befriend me, but I guess there are a lot of people on here who won't believe that. And I can see why. Some of the authors are obviously here to spam.

Anyway, I'm not asking anyone to be my friend anymore. I have enough friends anyway and I don't want to give the wrong impression. Someone can ask me for friendship, and if they have similar tastes, I'll befriend at that time I guess.

Just venting. Carry on.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

You author types are going to ruin friends for all of us!

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Not me, brother.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

You're not my friend, you're my nemesis!

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I've never gotten any author spam. How bad of a problem is it?

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I've seen a bit. One guy mostly. Not too bad. I'm sure it will get worse.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Dickie, buy my book!!! Buy it now!!!

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I just got a friend request from Bonnie Glover, author.

message 9: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 18, 2008 10:45AM) (new)

Me too. And I friended her because we have some books in common.

Hell, at least she's a real author. Ballantine Books. Nice.

message 10: by Rich (new)

Rich DeMars (Tree705) | 16 comments I've just been looking at everyone elses friends and asking those that I think I reconize. If someone asks me I just let them be my friend, you can always delete them.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Don't delete me, Rich!

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Wilbanks wrote a book?

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

*sigh*

message 14: by Rich (new)

Rich DeMars (Tree705) | 16 comments Don't worry, I need to keep tabs on where you are in case your book sucks.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

... :p

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Okay, I lied. I sent a friend invite today. But, in my defense, the guy's taste was so similar to mine I could not resist temptation.

If he doesn't friend me, nothing lost, right?

message 17: by Rich (new)

Rich DeMars (Tree705) | 16 comments So you figured out how to compare someone that's not your friend?

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes, but I already knew how to do that. What I wanted was for goodreads to find all the people with similar tastes to mine. Not for me to search them out.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

So you're saying that you're lazy!? :)

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

I guess.

message 21: by Rich (new)

Rich DeMars (Tree705) | 16 comments I was gonna pick on you Dave but I think you had enough for now, maybe later.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Gee, thanks.

message 23: by Rich (new)

Rich DeMars (Tree705) | 16 comments Your welcome buddy!

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Spamming is beginning to backfire on the spamming writers, I notice. There are acceptable places to spam, but I don't think goodreads is one of them. However, I'm keeping my author's profile, so there! :p

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Hey, thanks for that, Donald.

There are actually places online that encourage spamming, like book store forums, and I think some of those bad habits carry over to other places where they simply are not acceptable. I haven't been writing long but I've done my share of spamming (at the places I mentioned above), but now I think I've learned my lesson and I find it's just better to keep a low profile and let a book speak for itself. Unless of course if you're amongst a group of friends who don't mind a bit of good publishing news from you. :)

If you want to place an ad for your book, buy some space where it's expected to be seen. At a place like goodreads, sure, set up an author's profile, but that should be the end of it. Talk about other people's books, enjoy the site, and hey, if someone likes your goodreads entries well enough, maybe they'll check out your profile and pick up a book. But that's up to them.

message 26: by James (new)

James | 1 comments I have yet to see *any* distasteful spamming from you, Dave. Whatsoever.

Of course, considering some of the boards we've frequented, look at what I'm comparing you to. heh

But seriously . . . I've never seen you "cross that line" even once, bud.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Very nice of you, James. As usual, you are a gentleman.

Oh, I've crossed it a few times I think. Glad you weren't there for it. It made me feel dirty, and not in a good, sexy way either. :)