Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > New Library in town

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17346 comments Mod
We have this rapidly-developing strip down in South Fort Collins I like to call New California. Tons of Barbie moms driving Sequoias and Hummers, stopping at Super Target and SmashBurger before heading home to their new McMansion development in the netherland between Fort Collins and Timnath.
Anyway,
This rapidly developing area has a new, brand-spanking new, library that is part of the Fort Collins library system. So now we have three libraries! The cool thing is, people, every single book and cd and dvd in the place is brand new!!!! It was like walking around Borders (booo) but everything in there was free for the taking!

They also have these new space-age-y check out machines where all you have to do is set your books on a scale thing, and the deed is done.

I feel old.

message 2: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) You feel old ....

message 3: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments That sounds f--king awesome.

We have the self-checkouts, too! My ten year old has mastered them. He's showing off so the library hires him as an aide in a couple years.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Yeah, I've seen those things, with little radio signal doohickeys inside, so you don't have to scan a barcode anymore. They work with automated sorting systems of conveyor belts and bins when you return the books, so that the staff don't have to do as much manual, repetitive labor.

My system does NOT have this system, because we're not Microsoft country. We're a rural library district for the most part. We make do. Unfortunately, there's lots of carpal tunnel in library circulation staff, sad to say.

message 5: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Jackie "the Librarian" wrote: "They work with automated sorting systems of conveyor belts and bins when you return the books, so that the staff don't have to do as much manual, repetitive labor."

Um ... and ... um ... they won't need as many librarians.

::runs away fast::

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Actually, Larry, it's to just keep up with the ever increasing workload, and most of that is done by staff without MLS degrees.

message 7: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments our library is getting a total update and facelift (really needed as the library has not changed one iota in 20-some years) so they are moving the whole library operations to the big mall into a vacant Macy's spot for 6 months while they work on the old one. Macy's leased the space for $1 to the city. BTW - it is right across the way (in the mall) from a Books-A-Million store. wonder how that will go? anyway, the new library plans are sort of secretive but since my daughter works there i do know that they are changing the children's section to downstairs so mothers won't have to trudge stollers and such up the stairs. plus they are moving Admin away to a diff building to make more room for books and media. my main hope is that they replace the disgusting carpet.

message 8: by Chloe (new)

Chloe (countessofblooms) | 347 comments Speaking as a former library vendor, i really freaking hate RFID checkout systems. I really do. I just want an EMP to wipe every one of those tags, and to take out my passport while they're at it.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.