Movies We've Just Watched discussion

Short Films

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ashley (last edited Jan 18, 2008 11:35AM) (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) I'm taking an english class where we watch short films and discuss them. Today we watched two of them

1. Not As Yet Decided
Director:Jeff Dell
Year: 1966
This movie is basically a sort of collage movie. It goes back and forth between two children(one white, one black)playing and stills of riot acts/demonstrations of racism. Very interesting movie,extremely short but makes a statement.

2. The Black Rider
Director: Pepe Danquart
Year: 1994
This movies is about a black kid that goes on a bus, and throughout the whole bus ride, there is this old lady that makes rude comments about italians, the turks, about her neighbors being on welfare,etc. Really funny at the end.

message 2: by Arctic (new)

Arctic oooh I love short films! There was a small theater I used to go to in Edinburgh that showed a short before every movie. it was awesome! I wish all theaters did that.

The two you've mentioned sound interesting. Please keep us posted on what else you get to watch. Sounds like a great class!

Does any one know of any good collections of short films that I could get say through Netflix?

message 3: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) Today I had my english class and we saw:

Title: Always For Pleasure
Director: Les Blank
Year:1978

This film is shot on the old 16 milimeter. This film is shot in New Orleans and basically just a film of New Orleans culture.

message 4: by Ed (new)

Ed | 218 comments Mod
Not sure of any titles on netflix...I know hbo and showtime show quite a few short films.

message 5: by Robert (new)

Robert | 51 comments Isn't the "old 16 millimeter" pretty much the same size as the "new 16 millimeter"?

Just kidding? Les Blank is a wonderful filmmaker and an all-around nice guy. Check out his "Burden of Dreams" (it's on "the new DVD").. or any other titles of his you can find...

message 6: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) I had my english class today. We saw two more 16 milimeter films.

1. Title: Friendly Game
Director: Robert Glatzer
Year: 1968

This film is about two men(one white, one black), who play a game of chess. It's a really good film.

2. Title: Paul Robeson
Director: Saul J. Turrell
Year: 1979

This film is a documentary of Paul Robeson's life.

message 7: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey | 209 comments Try THE FAT AND THE THIN by Polanski. It was a short he made when he was still a student at his Polish art university.

message 8: by Phillip (last edited Dec 03, 2010 10:26AM) (new)

Phillip | 10447 comments is that one in the roster of short films that are included in the criterion knife in the water package? that one isn't ringing a bell. is that the one that takes place on the beach?

message 9: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (Webalina) | 583 comments I saw a short a few years ago called (I believe) HUMAN REMAINS. The premise of the film was various film clips and photos of Hitler, Chairman Mao and...damn, can't recall the 3rd one....Mussolini, Stalin? -- along with a voiceover spoken in the 1st person sharing little tidbits and trivia (in some cases TMI, like data about Mao's bowel movements)regarding the subject. Even though there is no information regarding their more notorious exploits, it has a sinister, slightly unnerving feel to it.

message 10: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey | 209 comments No, Phillip. I believe there is snow on the ground and the thin man is pulling the fat one on a sled. It`s been over 25 years since I saw it.

I don`t know whose compilation it is. If I remember to do it, when I get home I will check out who produced the anthology.

message 11: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey | 209 comments Cindy

Hitler`s life history is extremely fascinating and damning. His parents were so closely related that they had to apply for a government waver to get married.
Hitler was an extremely angry man all his life. He had no friends, or not any in the real sense of the word, and even his closest associates were never able to get close to the man. When he applied to art school, he was refused as his drawings of people exhibited absolutely no empathy, but his architectural drawings were brilliant, far exceeding in quality any other 17 year olds images. I have seen the drawing and they are truly stupendous. He was told to apply to an architectural school but never did so.

message 12: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (Webalina) | 583 comments Geoffrey wrote: "Cindy

Hitler`s life history is extremely fascinating and damning. His parents were so closely related that they had to apply for a government waver to get married..."

WOW. That would explain a lot, wouldn't it? ;)

message 13: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey | 209 comments It`s the best argument for not marrying one`s cousin.

message 14: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (Webalina) | 583 comments Yeah, but I didn't really need a reason. Eeewww. ;)

message 15: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10447 comments yeah, that decision came naturally for me.