What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED!: long shot-YA-love story [s]

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maggie (new)

Maggie (maggie4007) | 16 comments I don't remember much about this story except that it was a young couple-like maybe 7-8th grade. And some of thier friends and I remember the couple hung out in a basement and that there was some significance about a van? Maybe they rode in van? I'm pretty sure that it was set in the 70s or 60s? I keep going back to Judy Blume, b/c I was (and still am) totally into her books, but I can't place this one...

message 2: by Laura (last edited Jan 17, 2008 03:37PM) (new)

Laura (laurahogan) | 71 comments There was a scene in Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret where the kids had a party in the basement, and they played three minutes in the closet and spin the bottle. I don't recall a van in the book, though.

message 3: by Maggie (new)

Maggie (maggie4007) | 16 comments I know it's not Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret. I'll have to check out Deenie. I do know that I read that. Thanks for responding.

message 4: by CLM (new)

CLM | 298 comments Could it be Jean and Johnny by Beverly Cleary? He comes to pick her up for dates in a pickup truck he drives for his job.

message 5: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 52 comments Do you mean Fifteen, CLM?...

I thought of Deenie too, but I don't remember a van. Good luck!

message 6: by Maggie (new)

Maggie (maggie4007) | 16 comments It's not Deenie. But I'm definitely going to read that soon! It may be Fifteen! Is the the one where she accidentally sticks the straw up her nose when she is trying to drink? If not, does anyone remember that one?

Nothing is really sticking out yet, and for some reason, I think this was a little more "racy" than Beverly Cleary...That's what made me think Blume. But I'm going to check out some Cleary stuff and see if anything rings a bell. Thanks so much for all of your responses.

message 7: by Joanie (new)

Joanie | 66 comments The one with the straw up the nose is "Karen Kipplewhite is the World's Best Kisser" or something like that. That's off the top of my head, I'll look to see if that's the right name. The girl and her friend buy a book about being a good kisser because it's Karen's 13th birthday and she's having a boy/girl party. She and the really cool new girl Star go out for shakes with 2 boys and Karen gets her straw up her nose. I read that book over and over again, thanks for reminding me of it!

message 8: by Joanie (new)

Joanie | 66 comments It's Kepplewhite, not Kipplewhite and it's by Eve Bunting. I thought I was the only one who read that book!

message 9: by Maggie (new)

Maggie (maggie4007) | 16 comments Oh my gosh! Thanks so much! I can't wait to track that one down!

message 10: by CLM (new)

CLM | 298 comments You're right, Fifteen, and his name is Stan!