Movies We've Just Watched discussion

Across the Universe

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Has anyone seen this movie?? I absolutely loved it!!!!! It comes out on DVD Feb. 5th, I think.

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) I have the soundtrack, but haven't seen the movie yet. I really want to. I'll definitely have to get the DVD. I love the Beatles, love Bono. Bono singing the Beatles is freaking awesome.

message 3: by Jenna (new)

Jenna (jentobox) | 4 comments This is a great movie with a great soundtrack! I had to see it twice in theaters. I wasn't crazy about ALL the songs but I like most of them. T.V. Carpio's rendition of "I Want to Hold Your Hand" was even more beautiful than The Beatles's version. (Not that I don't still love the original which is one of my all time favorite songs.) I also loved "With a Little Help..." from the movie. And it doesn't hurt that Jude was a total hottie.

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) I love the soulful "Let It Be."

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree..the soundtrack is pretty great too!!! I listen to it all the time!!!

message 6: by Robert (new)

Robert | 51 comments This was easily one of my favorite movies last year, and the only one I saw twice. I won't fill up space here, but if anyone's interested, i wrote a long, rambling commentary on it that can be found at
http://sevendeadlyarts.blogspot.com/2...

message 7: by Karen (last edited Jan 18, 2008 08:14PM) (new)

Karen Yes, I loved "Across the Universe"! All the references to songs in the dialogue was great. I laughed outloud when they were sitting around the apartment and one of the girls (can't remember which one) came in through the bathroom window. And of course there's Prudence. There were so many of them, I loved it. Joe Cocker and Eddie Izzard (love those guys!) were great. The soundtrack is also one of my favorites.

message 8: by Kate (new)

Kate (kay8jay) | 23 comments I live in the Sacramento area and for the longest time, this movie wasn't playing here. Well, it STILL isn't, but I ended up seeing it in Santa Rosa: and like a lot of people on this board, I saw it twice!

Re: "I Want to Hold Your Hand" - Roger Ebert gave a really good review (of course!) to this movie and he mentioned that it wasn't until he heard that song sung in this movie that it occurred to him it could be a sad song.

Because I know what you mean, Jenna -- it's practically blasphemy to prefer anything other than the original, but I had always regarded the song as sort of silly/fun. But it became much more meaningful within the context of wanting to hold someone's hand but not being able to, ever.

Does anyone know if all of the people in the movie sang the songs themselves?

Also, I do have the soundtrack, and there are a couple of songs from the movie that aren't on there, strangely. One is "Why Don't We Do It in the Road" (I believe that's the title of that one) and the other is "I Want You" -- wasn't THAT an incredible interpretation! There might be other songs missing, though.

Just one thing - I wish the brother (Maxwell?) had been a little more manly-looking. He seemed a little effeminate to me which, well, whatever - anyway, it made Jude all the more appealing! Love him!

message 9: by Robert (new)

Robert | 51 comments There are two versions of the soundtrack; a single disc and a two-disc version. The latter has everything in the film. And as far as I can tell from the credits, the actors really did their own singing, which I think makes the film much more affective - just as it does in "Sweeney Todd".
As for Kate's comments,I just want to add
1) I think "Hold Your Hand" may be the point at which I knew that the film had completely won me over. An amazing and poignant performance.
2) Having grown up during some of the time depicted in the film (yeah, I know, I'm old...) it seems to be that ideas of what constitutes "manliness" were part of what were somewhat being idealistically tossed out the door at the time..

message 10: by Karen (new)

Karen Robert is right about what constituted "manliness" at the time. Yes, I grew up during the 60's, also. But I'm not claiming to be old, it's more fun to think young! :-) Guys who looked like Max were considered cool. Don't you think Joe Anderson looks like Jude Law? It would be a natural to see them playing brothers in a film.

message 11: by Kate (last edited Jan 21, 2008 12:27PM) (new)

Kate (kay8jay) | 23 comments re: Maxwell and Manliness :)

Esp. to Robert and Karen -- I really appreciate your p.o.v. on this! I was born in 1976 but have often wished I was born earlier so I could at the very least have had the chance to at least mourn the fact that I could have gone to a Beatles concert and never made it!

I think it's cool that you guys can look back and say, "Yeah, that's how it really was." I mean, it really wasn't very long ago, and I often wonder if "period pieces" (not that "Across the Universe" is strictly that: but you know what I mean - movies set in the past) get it right.

One of my theories about Maxwell - okay,
SPOILER ALERT --
is that he was supposed to very much look emaciated and worn-down after the Vietnam War, but since of course he was played by the same actor before and after the war scenes and might have even filmed some of them the same day he just looked emaciated to me the whole time.
So I guess I want to substitute the word/phrase of non-manly to a less sexist, more accurate phrase to describe how he looked to me: slightly sickly. He was just so THIN!

Perhaps the bottom line is, he didn't really fulfill my definition of "cute." :) Different tastes and all that. And I can see how if he has even the faintest resemblance to Jude Law (I don't see it, but that's just me) OF COURSE he would be ethereally handsome to the careful observer. :)

message 12: by Shannon (Giraffe Days) (last edited Jan 21, 2008 01:22PM) (new)

Shannon (Giraffe Days) (giraffe_days) Warning: Gushing coming your way!

This was hands-down my favourite film of 2007, and one of the best movies I've ever seen. I have both soundtracks, because when I went looking for it I didn't see/know about the two-disc edition, and later when I found it I of course had to have it!

The way they put this movie together is ... There's no word for it. I'm just so impressed! My parents-in-law didn't like it, they thought it made a mockery of Vietnam (they're Canadian, so they weren't in Vietnam or anything, this was just they're perspective), and another person I talked to didn't like the adaptations of the songs, which really just gave me a pretty low opinion of their music taste, frankly. Another got all sorts of political ideologies from it that sparked a heated hour-long debate because we so strongly disagreed.

The debates are endless, the adaptations of the songs were amazing, the incorporation of the songs into the script and vice versa is brilliant - what's not to love?

If pressed, I think "Hey Jude" is definitely one of my favourites, though there are others like "Hold your Hand" that are also wonderful. One of the things that makes Beatles songs so brilliant is how they can be adapted, remade, and sung in a whole new way. They're can be timeless, and yet they also sum up an entire era. They're simple, too, which means people can do so much with them when they do covers (they can also ruin them as well, of course!).

Oh, and yes, the actors did sing the songs themselves. Can't you tell? You can even hear Jude's accent when he sings.

message 13: by Chirayu (new)

Chirayu | 4 comments I watched this movie with my friends who are major Beatles fans (they're in their 60s.) It was a fantastic movie and we all loved it a lot.

message 14: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cookiejarprincess) I loved this movie. I love the Beatles, I love Bono, and I love Eddie Izzard. Seriously, Izzard as Mr Kite? Perfect. Can't wait to own this on DVD.

message 15: by Saba (new)

Saba (saba7036) | 3 comments I totally loved it.. It is like a life story which is told by Beatles, I think Jim sturgess did a very good job in singing along acting. I really enjoyed it.

message 16: by Arctic (new)

Arctic wow! What a great film and nice Beatles tribute. So glad I watched this one. This film is beautifully done and bursting with creativity. They tie so many seemingly disparate objects/people/ideas together so nicely with the songs, it's fairly amazing to watch. Bono as Dr Robert singing about the Eggman? pure genius.

Also loved the through the bathroom window reference. And have to agree the hold your hand song was stunning.

message 17: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Coo coo ca choo.

message 18: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (MrazFan) | 19 comments I just got this from Netflix today! Very excited to watch!!!!

message 19: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cookiejarprincess) I had planned to buy it on Tuesday when it came out but I didn't get around to it but I finally bought it today and am getting ready to watch it in a few minutes. The night my friend and I went to see it at the theater, as soon as the lights came up I told her I had to own it. I can't wait to watch it again.

message 20: by Nada (new)

Nada (nusch) | 6 comments all your comments make me want to forget about the pile of work sitting on my desk and watch the movie right now... the DVD from netflix is on my desk, next to that pile... oh the temptation!!

message 21: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (MrazFan) | 19 comments OMG I hated this movie. I love musicals, even strange ones & thought I would love this. I bought the soundtrack as soon as it came out & loved it. I was bored out of my mind with this movie & it was so choppy. I kept watching (although with much fast forwarding) thinking surely something will get better.... no, it didn't. I still love the soundtrack though.

message 22: by Pat (new)

Pat Thank you Lindsey. I've been reading the comments and thinking, "Wow, I must have really missed something." I love the Beatles, and the sound track is amazing. But I have the same sound track in my Beatles album collection. To me the scenes seemed forced together to make them fit the songs. The stories are incomplete. And the ending was like they ran out of ideas and wanted to wrap everything up in a pretty bow. And they had that one last Beatles song to squeeze in.