Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Language & Translation Issues > Selecting Dutch

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Manon (last edited Apr 07, 2009 09:06AM) (new)

Manon Reeper (manoneileen) | 3 comments When I want to select the 'primary language', Dutch is not listed, while Dutch: Flemish is twice. Could this be changed? ^_^

Thanks!

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 45064 comments Mod
Dutch; Flemish means "Dutch or Flemish".

message 3: by Manon (new)

Manon Reeper (manoneileen) | 3 comments then still, why is it listed twice :p Thanks though.

message 4: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

That looks like a mistake/bug. Might want to post something in the Feedback group.

message 5: by Manon (new)

Manon Reeper (manoneileen) | 3 comments I will!

message 6: by Brixton (new)

Brixton | 43 comments The book in question is here:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/32...

There was no language selected, so I used the dropdown to choose "Dutch; Flemish" (there are still two in the dropdown, I chose the first one).

Now, when I look at the librarian change log for my edits to this book, it says: "language_code: 'dut' to 'nl'"

Having no idea where "dut" came from, I wondered if I should "undo" or leave it alone.

message 7: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

I just played around with it. Not sure what those abbreviations stand for, but it looks fine.

There are two in the dropdown for the most popular languages. There's no difference between the first time they show up and the second. It's just to make the common ones easier to find.

message 8: by Brixton (new)

Brixton | 43 comments I would imagine "dut" is for "Dutch" and "nl" is for "Netherlands" (but it's still a mystery how "dut" showed up in my edit, when there was no language selected in the dropdown when I came to it).

message 9: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Actually, I think "nl" is "null" -- or "no language".

message 10: by Brixton (new)

Brixton | 43 comments Hm, "nl" is what appeared for me *after* I selected "Dutch; Flemish"-- when you undid that, it reverted to "dut". When you put it back, which is the state of the current record ("Dutch; Flemish" appears in the dropdown) it's "nl".

Either "nl" stands for "Netherlands" (country of origin) or "Nederlands" (Dutch language), or choosing Dutch in the dropdown marks a book as having "no language". A bug, or no?

message 11: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Actually, I think the bug is that it is reversing the "was" and "is" languages.