Brain Science Podcast discussion

Off Topic > Narcolepsy, Idiopathic Hypersomnia, and other sleep disorders

Comments (showing 1-3 of 3) (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nate (new)

Nate | 3 comments First of all I would just like to thank you Ginger for all your amazing work. I have deeply enjoyed listening to all of your podcasts all the way from E1 up to the most recent.

While I work as a researcher with a focus on post-transcriptional genetics, I have always had a much deeper passion for Neuroscience and philosophy of the mind. In addition, I am particularly interested in sleep, sleep disorders, and how these play into brain function as a whole.

While they have been mentioned many times in passing, I would love to hear an episode specifically on Narcolepsy, Idiopathic Hypersomnia, Insomnia, or the any of the other sleep disorders that to this point are not well understood. In addition to a discussion of how these diseases affect mental processes I think another entire conversation could take place on their treatment (or lack thereof) using random stimulants with little to no grasp on how they actually affect the mind.

Have I missed a crucial episode discussing this? Have you considered doing a show on sleep disorders? If so, what books would you use as a starting point or what researchers do you find to be the most interesting in these fields?

Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you!

message 2: by Joseph (new)

Joseph Masters | 4 comments I'd second this. I have always been fascinated by sleep myself and think an episode on sleep/sleep disorders would be great!

message 3: by Ginger (new)

Ginger Campbell (GingerCampbell) | 312 comments Mod
I would love to do an episode about sleep but I am waiting for the right book to come my way.