Bookmarks Subscribers discussion

January/February 2007 > The Thirteenth Tale: A Novel by Diane Setterfield

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments A book lovers delight! I enjoyed this tale of gothic suspense surrounding a famous writer and a rare copy of one of her books. The reader is drawn into the mystery as the main character, Margaret Lea, researches novelist Vida Winter. I was riveted 'til the end. I highly recommend The Thirteenth Tale A Novel ....it's one of my favorites.

The Thirteenth Tale A Novel by Diane Setterfield

message 2: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie I have it sitting on my shelf. I have A LOT of reading to do during my spring break!

message 3: by Jaime (new)

Jaime | 216 comments I think this will be my next read!

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments It's a wonderful book Jaime! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Let me know what you think of it.

message 5: by Jaime (new)

Jaime | 216 comments Lisa wrote: "It's a wonderful book Jaime! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Let me know what you think of it."

Thanks! I will.

message 6: by Janice (new)

Janice | 5 comments This book is definitely one of the books that I will re-read in the future. Only a select few belong on that list because there are thousands of others on my to-be-read list. My favorite quote from this book which sums up what I feel after I've read a really good book:
"All morning I struggled with the sensation of stray wisps of one world seeping through the cracks of another. Do you know the feeling when you start reading a new book before the membrane of the last one has time to close behind you? You leave the previous book with ideas and themes - characters even - caught in the fibers of your clothes, and when you open the new book, they are still with you." (pp 289-90).
Incredible stuff!

message 7: by Janice (new)

Janice | 5 comments Another favorite quote of mine from this book:
"Human lives are not pieces of string that can be separated out from a knot of others and laid out straight. Families are webs. Impossible to touch one part of it without setting the rest vibrating. Impossible to understand one part without having a sense of the whole." (p 58, paperback)
Setterfield is an incredible writer.

message 8: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments What a fantastic sentiment! There are a few books you just can't shake off after reading them; those are the rare ones where you delay finishing them because you're not ready to give up the characters and storyline. I love a book that makes me feel this way

message 9: by Betsy (new)

Betsy (ebburtis) | 1266 comments I was not as thrilled with this as others. I did enjoy it, but it didn't have that rib-sticking quality that is being discussed in another thread.

message 10: by Jaime (new)

Jaime | 216 comments Wow. I just started this book and I think it's absoltely AMAZING. I can't seem to get much reading done in one reading session because I keep going back and re-reading passages. This is one where I'll buy a hardcover for keeps and a paperback for marking up.

message 11: by Laura (new)

Laura Jaime, I loved this book, I hope you will enjoy it.

message 12: by Simone (new)

Simone James (simonestjames) I loved this one too. I got it from the library, and after I returned it I bought a copy so I could re-read!

message 13: by Jaime (new)

Jaime | 216 comments Wow. I just finished the chapter "Jane Eyre and the Furnace". What an uncomfortable scene to read and think about as a reader!! It's definitely one of the most disturbing concepts I've ever read in a fictional book. Setterfield writes with such wonderful description and clarity. She is definitely having an effect on my emotions, for better or worse! I love that in a book. I don't think I'm going to like it when this book ends!!

message 14: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments Lucky you! I promise you're going to get a lot of bang for your buck. I saw 3 hardback copies at my local Goodwill store last week. I wanted to buy them because they were such a bargain, but I already have a copy. :)

message 15: by Jaime (last edited Jul 27, 2009 07:54PM) (new)

Jaime | 216 comments THERE IS A SENTENCE IN HERE THAT SOMEONE WHO HASN"T READ OR FINISHED THE BOOK MAY NOT WANT TO SEE. NOT EXACTLY A SPOILER, BUT SUGGESTIVE OF AN ANSWER TO A QUESTION IN THE BOOK.

I just finished this book about an hour ago. I really enjoyed it, but, I have to say, I don't think I was as impressed with the actual plot as I'd hoped to be. It did have a lot to live up to, though. Most people that I communicate with regularly on Goodreads who have read the book have been raving about it and urging me to read it for quite some time. It's not that the plot didn't draw me in, and, since I'm still digesting it, I'm not really sure that I can say for sure what I was (just a touch) disappointed in. Maybe that the answer to the "ghost" or the "girl in the mist" was an easier answer than I thought it would be?

That said, I think that Setterfield gives the reader some fantastic insights. There are ideas expressed in this book that will stay with me forever. For example, the chapter that I mentioned above, "Jane Eyre and the Furnace", gives me the chills just thinking about. Also, the quote that Janice mentioned in message six above. I've already discussed that idea with a few people.

I can definitely see a movie being made out of the plot of this book. I think the insights that I loved so much will be lost in that medium, though.

I'm about to start another book that everyone's been raving about- The Shadow of the Wind.

message 16: by Helen (new)

Helen | 10 comments Greetings, Jaime (who Just finnished "The Thirteenth Tale" which I did enjoy) and all.
Just a quick note to say that I really did enjoy "the Shadow of the Wind" by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. Thought it was a Great book. Have also read "the Angels Game" but my thoughts on that book are unclear. If you'll knew me..you'd know there is nothing new there.. me being unclear! I really enjoy all the discussions and everyone's thougths about what your reading and how reading enriches your life. I sure know it does mine.. Good day, helen

message 17: by Stephanie (last edited Nov 07, 2009 06:57PM) (new)

Stephanie I absolutely loved this book. This is the novel for the person who is tale-obsessed. The writing is gorgeous, the characters mysterious, and the plot completely engaging. Perfect for anyone who likes gothic lit because I found it to be in the spirit of Rebecca or The Little Stranger, two books I also devoured.

message 18: by LynnB (new)

LynnB I enjoyed this book very much. It didn't have the quality of a book I will really remember in a year, but it was very good and I'd recommend it to others.