Indian English Authors discussion

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Geoff (new)

Geoff Wyss Hello, I am a new member with an interest in Indian literature, especially writing about Bombay/Mumbai. I was pretty "up" on Indian fiction (and some non-fiction) 5-10 years ago, when I was doing background reading for a book I wrote, but I haven't kept up with it in the past five years or so; so I joined this group to get a recommendation here and there of more recent novels I might have missed. I also went to Bombay in 1997 for a couple weeks to do research, and that is still one of the most amazing experiences of my life.

So I would be interested to know the best one or two titles you have read in the past few years by Indians or Indian expatriates. (The novels wouldn't necessary have to take place in India.)

If you're ever interested in depictions of India by Westerners, my book is called 'Tiny Clubs' and takes place in Bombay. I am very interested in the way American and Indian cultures do and don't translate across cultural borders.

message 2: by Geoff (new)

Geoff Wyss No; I keep meaning to. What book do you like most from Ghosh?

I was just thinking about Shashi Tharoor's 'Show Business' the other day. Have you read that?

message 3: by Geoff (new)

Geoff Wyss I like Russell Lucas's 'Evenings at Monghini's.' It's short stories, all set in and around Bombay. (Lucas is Indian, if I remember right, despite his name.) I also liked Ardashir Vakil's 'Beach Boy' (about a Bombay slum kid living near Chowpatty Beach). I keep seeing adds for Aravind Adiga's new book, 'The White Tiger,' which just won the Booker Prize; I will probably get that. It's not fiction, but I liked Suketu Mehta's 'Bombay, Maximum City.' And then, of course, I like Rohinton Mistry. (I actually just sent him my book and got a letter back from him, which was exciting.) I have a whole shelf of Indian writing at home (I'm at work), but my other favorites are escaping me right now. I remember liking Rushdie's 'Midnight's Children,' but it was probably 15 years ago that I read it, and I don't remember much about it.