Bangladesh discussion

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aumee (new)

Aumee | 39 comments Hi Everyone....
This group seems to sleep alot. Anyway, I thought I'd start a new topic.
If you're a Dhaka-bashi and a book-lover, then you know Nilkhet like the back of your own hand.
Anyway, this board is for suggestions for books, both bangla and english, that anyone has read and enjoyed, and would like to recommend. Also, if anyone has questions about a book or where to find it, leave your question on the board. I'm sure everyone will try to help answer it if they can.

Md. Zakir Hossain Dakua (zakirdaq) | 4 comments Hi, I don't want to buy book from nilkhet. I just want book fully free. Can u tell me where i will get all books free download of my book list.

message 3: by Aumee (new)

Aumee | 39 comments search "book, download, free" on google or msn or yahoo. you should get the names of a few sites that supply free online books.

message 4: by Russell (last edited Jan 19, 2008 07:17PM) (new)

Russell John (russelljohn) | 36 comments Mod
It would have been really difficult for us to buy books at such a low price if Nilkhet didn't existed. It's not only about price, their collection is awesome too as Ajanta apu mentioned. Long live Nilkhet!

message 5: by Shaker (new)

Shaker Muhammad | 21 comments Hi all,
i'm new in this group. But couldn't resist myself to post a comment on 'Nilkhet'. Whenever i heard about it, i get myself nostalgic. When i was in DU, i was a residence of F. Rahman Hall. To me it was like everything. i used to spent a lot of time there. N it feels great to walk through those narrow corridor piled up with books. i used to tell all my friends,if in any case Nilkhet got burnt the loss would be greater than the loss we faced by losing our Intellectuals in 14th dec'71.
Nilkhet is Great! Joyotu Nilkhet,Joyotu Boi Pora!

message 6: by Aumee (new)

Aumee | 39 comments Nauzubilla!!
dont ever mention Nilket in relation to fire in the same sentence. Thats like...like.....i dunno, a complete nightmare to even think about!!!
*shivers*

message 7: by Russell (new)

Russell John (russelljohn) | 36 comments Mod
Shit, group e dekhi shiver virus chole ashlo :p

message 8: by Aumee (new)

Aumee | 39 comments bomb er kotha shune jemon shadharon manush kapakapi shuru kore..............Nilket er shonge je kono durghotonar naam joray gele...temne bhabe amra kapakapi shuru kori.................*SHIVERS*
LOL

Md. Zakir Hossain Dakua (zakirdaq) | 4 comments Meyera to dekhi pachal shuru kore dilo re...

message 10: by Shaker (new)

Shaker Muhammad | 21 comments Hi Ajanta, I know how it feels when anyone imagines the two words 'Fire' & 'Nilkhet altogether. But the thing is, once i had to feel the fear of losing Nilkhet. As i have told earlier, i was a residence of F.Rahman Hall. So, there will be very few person who could spent more time hanging around Nilkhet than me. I had the chance to spend every single moment i wanted around it.
One day it was about 11:30pm. And suddenly we heard a noise coming from Nilkhet region. And those of us who were coming back from that area told us that Nilkhet got caught by fire. We were very shocked & after hearing it, me with some of my close friends started running towards the fire caught region. And there was a huge crowd. Most of us were varsity students. All tring to get access to the market to save it from fire. After spending few minutes i came to a situation when i looked carefully around me. The thing i could realize was, not all people around me was like me & my friend who came to help the people of the book stores. Some were talking about looting the books if they can get the access. The real fear of mine started then. I realized that our favourite Nilkhet is running two risks at a time. Oh, it was such tuff situation for me. Suddenly the fire department reached as a savior. As the shops were luckyly very close to the main road,they could easily reach there n stop the fire. Fortunately only two or three shops were affected. So, i think now i'm clear why that two impossible word came in my mind altogether.

message 11: by Aumee (new)

Aumee | 39 comments *faints*

message 12: by Shaker (new)

Shaker Muhammad | 21 comments Aumee Apu,
i just want to thank you for starting a topic like this. U know what, your topic selection was great!

message 13: by Ananya (new)

Ananya Rubayat (ananya_rubayat) | 3 comments i love nilkhet..hothat hothat emon ekekta unexpected boi peye jai!nilkhet na thakle eikhaner bookworm ra suffocate kora mara jeto!

message 14: by Aumee (new)

Aumee | 39 comments Thank u Shaker Bhaia
NILKHET JINBAAD!!!!LOL!!!!
you know i found the ORIGINAL first part of the Narnia Chronicles at nilket?!?!!? wanna know how much it cost /:)
100 tk!!!!!
can u believe that!?!?
the original book...and not one single missing page or writing on it?!!?
sad thing is ajkal nilket gele bhalo boi pai na....the shopkeepers say that no one is selling...only buying the books up......i'm not one to talk...hehehe...aj porjonto ekta bhalo boi ferot dei nai....hehe

message 15: by Ank (new)

Ank | 10 comments Nilkhet is good...but not always all the books one wishes to buy can buy from there. Unfortunately for me i cud remember very few books i picked from there. However, if anyone of you friends ever get the chance to visit the book fair in Kolkata (holds sometime in february every year) u will get the idea what a real book fair is!

message 16: by Ank (new)

Ank | 10 comments Ajanta:
thanks for taking me as a friend. By the way have you read Siddhartha by Herman Hess.....I met one french in Kolkata last month who recemmended it as one of the best...

message 17: by Aumee (new)

Aumee | 39 comments i dont mean to seem rude or anything.....but Nilkhet is a market not a fair. so u shudnt expect it to hold up to the standards of a fair. Another thing is that most of the books at nilket are either used or photocopies. at fairs they market popular new books, nilkhet markets wutever they can get their hands on. which is why fair shopkeepers generally charge more for books then a shopkeeper at nilkhet would. another thing, fairs (while annual) ar temporary, so they can market selective books, but nilket is open 12 months a year. also if you want a book that badly you can always place an order for it. many of the shopkeepers bring books by order. a fair wud not do that for you.
Ank, i'm not trying to be rude, but pls dont compare nilket to a fair. to me its highly unfaithful to a place that sells books at cheap rates to students who are low in pocketmoney and love books.

message 18: by Ank (new)

Ank | 10 comments Well from what i heard it shud be grt. I am reading 1984 of George Orwell. Its awesome...at some part grotesque...but it depicts the society where we really live in , although it tells about lives of ppls in a futuristic society...its a gruesomely told truth!

message 19: by Ank (new)

Ank | 10 comments Well I can't disagree with even a single word u hav mentioned. my comment was based on what I feel about neelkhet, not what everyone elses shud. ur definition and rationale are perfectly OK and none can't deny that u have made ur point articulately and politely...so no point of me taking any grudge out of ur candid comments...i am still proud to be ur friend.

message 20: by Saima (last edited Jan 29, 2008 10:00PM) (new)

Saima | 3 comments To me our ekushey book fair is our proud. We can be introduced with new as well as selective classic books at a time in one place. It’s a great opportunity for the book lovers...... And though it is a short time event, it’s quite difficult for everyone to find recent or classic/ good books. If one of us can suggest the good books and stalls of that fair I think it'll b great help for other members. And any one of us who can visit the fair everyday may report about the fair as a reporter. What do you say?

message 21: by Ank (new)

Ank | 10 comments Saima, u r very right saying that the Ekushey Boi Mela is our pride. I love going there and have been going there for last so many years. Even i take leave from office to be there. However, one observation I have always had is that in the Boimela one can only find Bangla books and very few good translations (e.g. Plato's Dialogue by Sardar fazlul Karim and the likes) and world literature is present. I strongly believe that any book fair should welcome books from all over the world because if anyone wants to transcend the borders no other better way to do that than to read books of different countries and different languages (unfortunately for us we can get good translations from a third language through English only as pointed out earlier). Whenever I visit the Boimela it gives me the feeling of a mela for the local publishers rather than a mela for the readers....I hope one day we'll have a truly universal boimela where ppl of every choce can come and share a part of the pleasure. I believe the Language myrters have sacrificed their lives for the spirit of speaking the language of one's choice not by another person to tell what he/she should choose.
My case rests here.
Ank