The Rory Gilmore Book Club discussion

Music, Movies, & Miscellany > Reading and Dating

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by M0rfeus (new)

M0rfeus Ok, I am dating "One of those intellectual girls, steeped to the gills in serious purpose" to quote P.G. Wodehouse.

She wants me to read The Kite Runner.

So in return I'm going to make her read the fabulously silly "Jeeves in the Morning" by the self-same Wodehouse, above.

Has anyone here run into this sort of divergence of reading interests in the ol' dating game? How did you handle it?

tom

message 2: by whichwaydidshego?, the sage of sass (new)

whichwaydidshego? (whichwaydidshego) | 1996 comments Mod
Tom, I loved the difference in reading with my ex-boyfriend because we were both willing to try new things... and thanks to him I (finally) was persuaded to read Harry Potter! He read Jane Eyre and The Eyre Affair, to name a few I exposed him to. Later in the relationship we were reading together - and would look up and ask "Where are you?" because one or the other of us would be dying to make a comment. I say embrace it!

Oh, and next time we're voting for the right genre, I expect you to nominate The Code of the Woosters from Rory's list! I'll give it a vote! I mean, I already bought it in anticipation...

Oh, and if you don't end up liking each other's book selections, then that's something to learn from, too. I mean, there were some Ari and I didn't gel on, but it was no big deal. (Sorry, but I REFUSE to get into the computer coding books. LOL) We had enough we shared within and without reading to sustain us... and we were still interested if the other was enjoying the book we wouldn't have.

message 3: by M0rfeus (new)

M0rfeus Ah the Code of the Woosters. One of my favorites.

Yes, I shall certainly nominate it!

T

message 4: by M0rfeus (new)

M0rfeus Incidentally, to show you how this lass has worked her wiles on me (or perhaps I've worked mine on her) I'm taking her to see a talk by the author of The Kite Runner on Friday night.

The things we do for the pleasure of your company.

As Dr. Franklin said, "Women are books, and men the readers be..."

T

message 5: by whichwaydidshego?, the sage of sass (new)

Where will this talk be (as I do not live far from you)? I might be interested.

I like that, though, "...for the pleasure of your company." I wish a gentleman would say - or even more, do - as much for me.

I hope your date is a tremendous success!

message 6: by Alison, the guru of grace (last edited Jan 17, 2008 06:47AM) (new)

Alison | 1282 comments Mod
Awww, sweet romance. I would have loved for a guy to recommend a book to me "back in the day." It's a huge compliment, because it's like he's saying, "I want to let you into my world." I mean, even if a total stranger recommends a book to me, I take it as a compliemnt. It's saying that they trust me to appreciate something that they, too, have appreciated, and there'a connection. Now I want to read about Jeeves for Morpheus, and I barely even know him! (Oh, sorry, it's Morfeus--you can tell I'm a Matrix fan!)

Good luck with the lady, Morf!

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) The author lives in Berkeley or something like that, doesn't he?

message 8: by M0rfeus (new)

M0rfeus I don't know where he lives, but the talk is at the Dean Lesher Center in Walnut Creek tomorrow night, at I think 7:30.

If you are there look for the tallest couple in the audience. That will be us.

Tom

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Hmm, Walnut Creek is only an hour and a half drive for me...

message 10: by M0rfeus (new)

M0rfeus And you'll be going against traffic. However I should warn you that tickets are fairly steep--it's a charity fund-raiser....

T

message 11: by whichwaydidshego?, the sage of sass (new)

Ergh! I didn't see this in time! Ah well, I really couldn't have afforded it likely. Not with all the preparations for my brother's wedding next Saturday... BLAAAH! I'm freaking out that my younger brother is going to be married in less than a week! One second I totally get it, and the next I'm completely spazzing over it.

But enough about me... How was your date, Tom??

You have me curious... how tall? I like tall... Hee! ;D