What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Fledgling (Hall Family Chronicles #4)
This topic is about The Fledgling
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Young girl who can fly... Goose [s]

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Grace | 7 comments I read this book ages ago and I'm not really sure if I'm remembering it correctly at all.

There's a young girl who is very small and light for her age. She makes friends with a goose and learns how to fly. I think I remember a scene where she's on the balcony or window frame outside her bedroom and she flies off from there.

Near the end of the book she's flying with the goose and he gets shot and dies. She's really upset and after that she can't fly anymore. I also think I remember a scene where she's standing at the top of the stairs in her house an tries to fly of them, but can't and falls down the stairs.

Later, she goes back to where the goose got shot and finds what looks like a little ball. She knows that it's from the goose but doesn't know what it does. Later she takes it into the closet and in the dark it looks like a model of the earth. This way, even though she can't fly she can see the earth as if she can... or something like that anyway.

I seem to remember that she had a sister and maybe family problems or something.

I hope that I'm remembering it correctly 'cause looking at what I wrote it sounds kinda weird :-/

Thanks to anyone who tries to help me with this!

-Grace

message 2: by Deb (new) - rated it 4 stars

Deb | 48 comments This is The Fledgling by Jane Langton. The little girl is Georgie. It is one of the series about Concord (MA) that begins with The Diamond in the Window, The Swing in the Summerhouse...

message 3: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 36916 comments Mod
Moving to Solved. The Kirkus review:

"Little Georgie's pre-dawn flights on the back of a friendly goose (she calls him her swan prince) are not burdened by the allegorical content that characterized the mind trips of older step-cousins Eleanor and Eddy in three previous Langton novels. Rather, intense Georgie is the innocent child in love with sweet nature (but not preciously so). She longs to fly, and the goose teaches her how--at Walden Pond, no less. But insensitive adults must interfere: banker Ralph Preek buys a gun and launches a personal vendetta against the "giant duck"; and his secretary Miss Prawn, Georgie's next-door neighbor, becomes concerned that Georgie is either a saint or a changeling, and the goose, accordingly, an angel or a fairy about to steal her away. (As for Transcendental College proprietor Uncle Freddie, whose flat-footed literary welcome had earlier scared the bird away, he comes to believe that Georgie's goose is Henry Thoreau himself, reincarnated.) With Mr. Preek stalking clumsily throughout, the inevitable tragedy occurs. Georgie recovers from the goose's death, as children will, but only after she has located its parting "present": a rubber ball that becomes, in the dark, a glowing image of the planet Earth. Except for an opening false-note prematurely espousing the goose's viewpoint, Langton makes Georgie's story a successful blend of humor, charm, pathos, family feeling, and that hint of something transcendent that lights up all her fantasies."